xB windshield problems?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default xB windshield problems?!?!?!?!

I hear there might be alot of people who are experiencing cracked windshields with the xB, is this true? Also I heard that you can get full glass coverage on your insurance and it won't affect your premium...but on the flip side if you use it too much and you go to switch insurance companies they might not be willing to take you because they suspect your hiding something...does anyone know much about this stuff?

This is what someone stated:Be careful of using your glass breakage on the insurance....if you have more than one claim in few years on windows they tend to give you problems. I changed insurance providers and they asked if I have ever had any accidents and I told them no.....they said are you sure? I said no again then they said that there were claims on my history (for windshields --Phoenix has a lot of road debris....broken windshield is common) and they would not cover me. They also said that they would not cover me as I was trying to hide my claim history and was not being honest. Whack! So make sure you release that info if you change providers.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

There have been quite a few threads on this. Most common theory is the size and vertical orientation of the windhield make it more vulnerable to flying debris. Price you pay for such a cool view out the front I guess.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

its not so much as an explanation or theory behind the design of the windshield that I am looking for, its more or less if its true or not and how that ties into the latter part of my question. I'm just trying to avoid any unecessary problems in the future.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member

It is true that windshield claims count toward the amount of "bad marks" insurance companies track to evaluate you as a risk. Too many bad mars of any type and you appear as a risky customer who makes claims and costs them money. My xB windshield got a rock ding the thrid day after I drove it off the lot. I had the Chipshot guy at the car wash fix it for $30 which I paid cash and made no claim for my insurance company. Funny thing is, before I stated I was paying cash myself with no claim to insurance, the price was $50. Insurance companies don't want customers who make claims on anything. The more claims you make, the more they charge and the less likely they are to insure you at all. For me, I'll claim only when I have major incidents. Otherwise, I'll take the hit.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have two xBs. The newest, just received in June, has a nick on it. This IS a common thread and may require a class action suit or a recall by Toyota. There are many other vehicles such as SUVs and small trucks with near vertical windshield without the same number of nicks and cracks. This may be more of an inssue of poor quality of materials. Keep this thread going and let's see how many more compain about the same thing.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

hmmm...I wonder if this has been a problem since the release of the scions, and what toyota will do to fix the problem if enough people complain. Do you think it simply has to to with the quality of the glass? And how reliable would a fix by a chipshot guy be? Does it really take care of the problem or does it provide a temporary fix?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It's not a quality issue, it's a size/angle issue.

Oh, wait. I mean Let's sue someone.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

I have had my windsheild replaced once already and I now have chips in the new one.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was driving one day about 65 mph and was hit by a bird dead center on my winshield.
no damage to the windshield and the bird bounced off and flew away.

then one day a pebble hit the driver side of my windshield bang! it will cost me 250.00
for my deductable to replace my cracked xb.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, that sucksssss. i guess the people that said the stuff about the angle is right. and it's kinda low to the ground.. the vehicle itself.. but i don't know. my truck window is more angled than the xB's windshield is. hmm. and the windshield also seems to lack the curve in it like other vehicles have.. perhaps that has something to do with it also. it's might be easier to break a flat piece of glass than it is to break a piece of glass that has a curve in it. but it may also be the quality of glass that was put in from the factory.. but if that was the case, would the xA and tC have the same problems.. or did only the xB's get graced with the presence of this crappy glass. sad stuff.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just think its a case of bad luck. my company car is a 2005 taurus and i have put 41000 miles on it since december and in the last month i have gotten two cracks in my windshield from rocks. one about a month prior which i hd filled. but i have never before this had a cracked windshield in any vehicle i just think its a case of being in the wrong place basically. nothing you can do about it though.

too bad they didnt have a rockblocker clear something or other for the windshield huh?
Old 09-04-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm sure there are a number of factors which makes the XB's windshield more susceptible to to damage. I had 4 large spider chips in my windshield just a few months after I bought it last year. I had the windshield replaced. I have 2 chips in it now but they are very very small compared to how they looked in the factory glass. I do believe the factory glass is inferior.

As for the insurance part, I'm sure it's true that they track those types of damages.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

Yes i believe the scion xB is prone to windshield cracks. I just got my new xB and noticed my car is a magnit for bugs and flying debree. Its right in the sweet spot for head on bug smashing, rock cracking and people plowing.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a small crack on my window that the dealership guy was an ___ about, he told me they would charge me 900 to replace with toyota brand windsheild because it has the stamp on it.

i had my rear window busted out for no reason a few months back and it costed me abotu 500 bucks to replace, damn tint and heater on it makes it bocoup money.

i cant afford to replace another window, so gotta live with the crack for now
Old 09-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This IS a common thread and may require a class action suit or a recall by Toyota. There are many other vehicles such as SUVs and small trucks with near vertical windshield without the same number of nicks and cracks. This may be more of an inssue of poor quality of materials. Keep this thread going and let's see how many more compain about the same thing.
The windshield on an xB is a very large, nearly vertical, fairly flat hunk of glass being pushed down the highway at high speeds while just three feet from the ground.

Most other vehicles do NOT have windshields this vertical, this large, and this flat, this close to the ground, and with a very short hood in front of them.

The chances of an xB windshield taking a 'fatal' hit from road debris is higher than any other common vehicle I'm familiar with.

This is NOT something to sue Toyota over - the materials are not at fault.

If you don't like the risks associated with the xB's design, move to another vehicle that has a smaller, or more sloped, or more curved, or higher mounted windshield, or that has a large prow out in front to deflect debris...

So many in the US are too litigatious - unwilling to accept their own risks and are always trying to blame someone else for every problem.

(I'm on my third windshield, but that's because my original would not withstand four large chunks of concrete paving being hurled through it, and the first aftermarket replacement windshield was defective from the factory.)
Old 09-05-2005, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The windshield on an xB is a very large, nearly vertical, fairly flat hunk of glass being pushed down the highway at high speeds while just three feet from the ground.

Most other vehicles do NOT have windshields this vertical, this large, and this flat, this close to the ground, and with a very short hood in front of them.

The chances of an xB windshield taking a 'fatal' hit from road debris is higher than any other common vehicle I'm familiar with.

If you don't like the risks associated with the xB's design, move to another vehicle that has a smaller, or more sloped, or more curved, or higher mounted windshield, or that has a large prow out in front to deflect debris...

So many in the US are too litigatious - unwilling to accept their own risks and are always trying to blame someone else for every problem.

(I'm on my third windshield, but that's because my original would not withstand four large chunks of concrete paving being hurled through it, and the first aftermarket replacement windshield was defective from the factory.)
i agree with this because for the simple reason that if hte windshield was of poor quality or didnt meet standards then they simply would not allow them in the vehicle. they have very stringent testing for windshields.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I say it is all bad luck also. My xb got hit by a rock and made a really loud cracking sound, nothing happened to my glass.
On my 91 accord got hit by a rock and left a half doller sized crack in the center of the glass.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxlver

i agree with this because for the simple reason that if hte windshield was of poor quality or didnt meet standards then they simply would not allow them in the vehicle. they have very stringent testing for windshields.
although i somwhat agree with the fact of too many people are too quick to say the "sue" word, and the fact that we should take responsability for our own actions and even the "____ happens" deals when a windshield gets cracked from random debris. i wouldnt say that they wouldnt put the windshields in the car if it wasnt safe. its more of the fact if the number of likley complaints pending in resulting pay outs or settlements would overweigh the cost of recalling or changing parts they allready made. even though corporations say "safty first" it usualy takes second behind profit.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

although i somwhat agree with the fact of too many people are too quick to say the "sue" word, and the fact that we should take responsability for our own actions and even the "poop happens" deals when a windshield gets cracked from random debris. i wouldnt say that they wouldnt put the windshields in the car if it wasnt safe. its more of the fact if the number of likley complaints pending in resulting pay outs or settlements would overweigh the cost of recalling or changing parts they allready made. even though corporations say "safty first" it usualy takes second behind profit.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
It's not a quality issue, it's a size/angle issue.

Oh, wait. I mean Let's sue someone.

well said

Quick Reply: xB windshield problems?!?!?!?!