Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler Help!

I've been looking into putting a rear wing on my car because I think it looks really naked without it. So I've been scoping out deals and prices trying to find one. But basically I'm a college kid so I don't have too much money to spend but I do want to keep my ride looking clean. So I found these on ebay and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with this one or anything similar. The price is great but as they say...you get what you pay for.

Just looking to get some insight as to the quality, any yellowing, or flaws in the weave.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-up...ht_1975wt_1201

Thanks for any advice
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just put one just like this off of ebay and it came out great...it is just like a factory spoiler but in cf....it even came with mounting hardware and templates even though the auction said it didnt...i was very happy with it.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:53 AM
SL Member

hhhmmm wondering if it will last or would the Seibon be a bettter idea to purchas....??
Old 01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

this is the same seller i bought mine from.."bestracingmotors", it looks like he has went up $20 since i bought mine....i gave $159 for shipping and everything. like i said it looks as good as any other one ive seen and im sure it will last the same...if it didnt you could buy 2 or 3 for the price of the others i have seen.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey thanks for the input I am still pondering what to do. I think I may do some more research before I decide to go ahead and buy this. For the price though it doesn't seem like you can beat it and the seller seems to have a decent track record so I don't think I would have any problems. If I pull the trigger and all is well I'll def let people know about this deal...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as yellowing, that's from UV damage. I'm using Concours Sentinel Vinyl Protectant on my Seibon CF parts.
The bottle says it protects all plastics from UV damage. Just spray on a couple
of coats, and then buff it off. stuff still shines like Normal. You can get it here..

http://www.lamin-x.com/8oz-Concours-...nt-p/303-8.htm
Old 01-09-2009, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mines last week but I don't understand how to install it. I'malso get it sprayed with another layer of clear coat just to be safe.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Teknagen
I got mines last week but I don't understand how to install it. I'malso get it sprayed with another layer of clear coat just to be safe.
thats the only way to go!!!! I have seen my fare share of cf parts go to waste due to oxidation usually. After a while most carbon fiber parts look like crap (especially here in hawaii due to the salt, sun, and humidity). So to insure my cf parts are going to last me and my friend worked our way through that gel coat crap that its coated with, sprayed it with some gold pearl, clear coated it 2 or 3 times (cant remember) and I make sure to wax that thing at least once a month. I have the Seibon wing and the Seibon DV hood. Seibon makes an amazing quality product and I would only recommend Seibon or AIT. Other than that your kinda taking a risk. Ive had a few friends buy cf parts off ebay, 2 of them said it was horrible, didnt fit well, poor construction . . . The other one said it was awesome and he would never spend his money on expensive brands like Seibon because the ebay stuff i just as good.
Basically im just saying if you spend ur money with a company like Seibon or AIT, its worth it, If you go on ebay and buy some no-name product, you might get lucky and get something good, or you might have just wasted your money and now have to pay more for the good stuff.

heres a shot where you can see the gold pearl in it

if you dont pain it at least with a clear coat, who knows how long its gonna last . . .
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i know someone whos selling a black one :shifty
(see sig)