Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-aero-exterior-1791/)
-   -   Shark Fin Antenna install W/ PICS (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-2nd-gen-aero-exterior-1791/shark-fin-antenna-install-w-pics-161198/)

Domo 10-01-2009 06:33 AM

can you take a picture please?

A-snell 10-01-2009 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by CIONIDE (Post 3318705)
I placed the shark fin over the stock antenna base approximately where it would be stuck on. While it was sitting there, I put one strip of blue painters tape just in front of the shark fin, and one strip of blue painters tape behind the shark fin (each about 6" long). I then used a tape measure to mark the center line of the roof on each piece of tape. I measured the width of the back of the fin and marked it on the rear piece of tape so that it was centered on the center line I already marked. Now just peel the paper off the 3M adhesive tape on the fin, line up the front & rear with the marks on the tape, and push down for a minute. Peel the blue tape off the roof, and you're done.

Hope that helps, I've done it that way 3 times, and every time it looked great.

WOW!! I just had a friend help me.. we "eye balled" it. just like the pic showed. I put tape ALL the way around it. that way, when I picked the fin up to remove the 3M tape backing, I had the EXACT spot where the antenna needed to be.

pyroman131 10-01-2009 12:30 PM

I JUST bought my HID kit and installed it. Now I'm looking at the Shark Fin. When will I ever stop spending money on my car mods?

Has anyone here reached that point yet?

A-snell 10-01-2009 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by pyroman131 (Post 3319582)
I JUST bought my HID kit and installed it. Now I'm looking at the Shark Fin. When will I ever stop spending money on my car mods?

Has anyone here reached that point yet?

HAHA..
NEVER

pyroman131 10-02-2009 01:12 AM

@A-snell: I guess there's no hope. Oh well. I'll be spending close to $1500 by the end of this year on my car alone. That's not too bad, I guess.

A-snell 10-02-2009 08:01 AM

$1500??? on what?

jnaval 10-02-2009 03:10 PM

It's an addiction cured only by poverty.

onions 10-02-2009 03:50 PM

rims and tires can easily take you to $1k if not $1500

A-snell 10-02-2009 03:59 PM

mine were $1,650. rims and tires

A-snell 10-02-2009 04:00 PM

Anyone have pics of their shark fin antennas???? Post em up!!!!!!!! :)

pyroman131 10-02-2009 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by A-snell
$1500??? on what?

Rims and tires for sure. That number is suggestive as it constantly fluctuates. I'm looking at probably $1200 for the wheels and tires. The rest is ambiguous as it encompasses the HID's I just purchased, the possible shark fin, etc. etc. I am appeasing mods right now by painting my interior trim. And it's a long grueling process because the paint I initially tried on the door trim was awful. I'm after a flat gloss look and the trim has detailed marks in it. So I'm going to sand down the actual arm rest trims and go from there.

snkysnake 10-03-2009 11:08 AM

Dressing these cars up can get exspensive. Right after I bought the car I spent $900 for rims and $300 for the wing. This week I think I'm up around $2000 . This weeks list includes window tinting, rear sway bar, strut tower brace, fog lights, overhead console, vent visors, dual exhaust, rear bumper protector, XM radio, dash mat, WeatherTech floor mats, TRD cold air intake, and the Shark fin. I installed a lot of the stuff in the last few days. Still waiting on a few parts (see XM radio story in another thread). For me the answer is YES..there is an end to the spending, this will do it for me, not much else I want to do to the car.Well , maybe mud flaps....LOL

pyroman131 10-12-2009 01:06 PM

I think the modding will never end.

Guess what's being shipped to my house this week?

My Shark Fin Antenna.

I'm excited. The thing that ____es me off though is that the stupid USPS.com Web site is temporarily down and won't let me track my order. Could be here either today or tomorrow. But knowing the track record of USPS... could be middle of next week...

snkysnake 10-12-2009 05:44 PM

The USPS tracking system is lame. It does not show real time tracking, with intermediate stops, it only shows anything AFTER the package has been delivered. BTW , my shark fin is due sometime in the next few days too .

A-snell 10-13-2009 08:49 AM

POST THE PICS!!!!!! :) it took them 4 days to get mine to me.

pyroman131 10-13-2009 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by A-snell (Post 3334232)
POST THE PICS!!!!!! :) it took them 4 days to get mine to me.

I might be able to get a shot of the mail man bringing it to the door from USPS. Hopefully I'll get it today. The stupid USPS site never works when it comes to tracking numbers. Supposedly it was processed in Jacksonville, FL (where I LIVE) on the 10th, which was Saturday. So you'd figure I would have received it yesterday (Monday the 12th). Hrm...

PDX_xB 10-13-2009 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by pyroman131 (Post 3334375)
I might be able to get a shot of the mail man bringing it to the door from USPS. Hopefully I'll get it today. The stupid USPS site never works when it comes to tracking numbers. Supposedly it was processed in Jacksonville, FL (where I LIVE) on the 10th, which was Saturday. So you'd figure I would have received it yesterday (Monday the 12th). Hrm...

Yes, the USPS tracking system is lame. However, yesterday was a federal holiday. So, the post office was closed and there was no mail delivery service.

PDX_xB

pyroman131 10-13-2009 06:12 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Wow. That's how out-of-touch I am with reality since I'm so busy all the time. Can't believe yesterday was Columbus day. Wow.

EDIT:
You can now officially welcome me to the Shark Fin Antenna club. Just received my antenna in the mail. Super fast shipping, and it looks great on my box.
The only thing that disappoints me is that you can see a thin layer of adhesive that separates the fin from the box.

Below are some pics for your entertainment and viewing purposes: (images courtesy of Photobucket.com)

Attachment 107044

Attachment 107045

Attachment 107046

For all who read this topic and debate whether or not they should get one... hopefully this will change your mind. Really makes the Box look a lot more aggressive than before, and coupled with a Spoiler, it's even better.

____

xfiringsquadx 10-13-2009 11:51 PM

It's not even a question for me whether or not this is a good deal. It's color-matched. I gotta get one.

pyroman131 10-14-2009 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by xfiringsquadx
It's not even a question for me whether or not this is a good deal. It's color-matched. I gotta get one.

Yep. At first I was skeptical because it's such a small thing to buy at $75 or whatever I paid for mine. In either case, it's a good deal simply because of the paint job.

But anyway, the point I was trying to get across is now I have yet another reason to stare at the box.