Transmission Fluid Condition and Color What to do??? - Scionlife.com

Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 AM   #1

Question Transmission Fluid Condition and Color What to do???

Fellow Toaster Fans,

Here's the deal, I recently got a nice used 2008 xB, 2.4L, Automatic Transmission, 125k miles. I live in a hot climate if that matters.
I got it a few weeks ago and everything is running and shifting smooth. It is smooth and easy going from gear to gear, I don't have any
trouble or hear any awful noises or slipping while shifting, driving it is nice and gravy. There are no leaks at all.

I do check the fluid levels regularly, and when checking out this car the transmission fluid is a bit of a brownish-coffee color and has a slight burnt smell.
The fluid is definitely clear and translucent, just a brownish color, like someone spilled their Starbucks on a piece of paper. I know that a nice red color means good,
clean fluid and jet black fluid means big problems! this fluid is definitely not black and there are no specs of metal in there. (See Photo):

Transmission Fluid status - light coffee brown. Did 3 dipstick wipes to get a good read on the color and smell.

I want to go ahead and get this fluid nice and red again, but how and what service should I get? What service do I need really? I've heard that a transmission fluid flush can cause serious problems
and even failures and that it's a huge headache. Others have said to just do a drain/refill/change.
What is best for my situation and condition? Is my fluid in terrible shape from the photos and descriptions here or is just ready for a change?

Thank you in advance, I'm loving the Scion, I've wanted one for years and got one so I want to take care of this little beast well.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-07-2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
BillMidbar2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:00 AM   #2

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller???
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 AM   #3
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Bill

Sorry, this forum does not get a lot of activity. I do my best & check threads everyday or so.

Ive got a 2012 auto similar to yours but only 35K miles. Have not read up on the oil intervals for the trans.

Be best to cycle that fluid out & start fresh. Theres got to be a how-to on line. Have you searched it here or Youtube?

Joe
MinusPrevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Default Here is the Official 2008 Scion xB Maintenance Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMidbar2008 View Post
Here's the deal, I recently got a nice used 2008 xB, 2.4L, Automatic Transmission, 125k miles. I want to go ahead and get this fluid nice and red again, but how and what service should I get? What service do I need really? I've heard that a transmission fluid flush can cause serious problems and even failures and that it's a huge headache. Others have said to just do a drain/refill/change. What is best for my situation and condition? Is my fluid in terrible shape from the photos and descriptions here or is just ready for a change?
If you are Not the Original Owner, and do not have the Maintenance records you have no idea what was done or not done.
The photos indicate the Transmission Fluid was not Change at the Recommended 120,000 Miles or 144 Months interval. It should be Red, not Brown.

Here is the Official 2008 Scion xB Maintenance Schedule:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...IONxB_0001.pdf

I would use Page 23 - 120,000 Miles or 144 Months as a Check List and Check or Perform all items listed. If necessary, use a Qualified Shop/Technician to perform the services you are unable to do on your own.

Hope this helps,

MR_LUV

MR_LUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:24 AM   #5

Hi Mr_Luv

When buying it I did see maintenance records the car had for oil changes, belts, batteries, tires, pulleys etc, but I didn't see anything on the transmission fluid or any flushes or changes done on it.
So you are right, I can't be sure of what was done or not done on this element.

I did have the manual in the glove box and it's the same as the attachment you sent, I appreciate it.

I am taking the first step to address this issue, I have an appointment for a tune up and a tranny drain and fill. I've called up a bunch of Toyota dealerships and independent shops alike and the consensus is with xB's
(and Toyotas and Hondas in general) just get the drain and refill, flushes are an iffy, risky, why risk it kind of thing...I'll go with that advice.

Let's see how it goes! I'll keep everyone informed and recheck my ATF level right after...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-12-2018 at 06:11 AM. Reason: typo