Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Up Date Video *5-21-2012* Finally the parts arrived yesterday.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
I would think that they would want to use 2.5" pipe, since their own Tsudo cat-back dual exhaust is 2.5", as well as the Strup cat-back single exhaust, and the Weapon-R s-pipe. That would keep a consistent pipe diameter for the majority of exhaust mods done to the 2nd-gen xB. The only cat-back exhaust that is 2.25" is the MagnaFlow, and while they make a great product, I think far fewer owners buy it due to the significantly higher cost.
Yes, I have 2.5" before and after the "scuba". I've no problem with my current setup, but if their "scuba" replacement extends what I already have without increasing noise or emissions, then I'm surely interested !

PS. I realize most care not about emissions, but if you happen to live in an area where the "air" you breath at times turns somewhat toxic (perhaps even typically) and skin cancer from solar radiation is a concern (like for bicycling), then accumulative emissions could be a concern. Our planet doesn't give a fig about us or whatever we do, needs us not at all, however, we are totally dependent on it!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
PS. I realize most care not about emissions, but if you happen to live in an area where the "air" you breath at times turns somewhat toxic (perhaps even typically) and skin cancer from solar radiation is a concern (like for bicycling), then accumulative emissions could be a concern. Our planet doesn't give a fig about us or whatever we do, needs us not at all, however, we are totally dependent on it!
Well, while I understand your view, if I recall correctly, cars aren't even the main source of our emissions in the world...but yes, every little CAN help, but some people either:

#1. have another catalytic converter in a different place
#2. just don't want to spend extra money and deal with the hassle of it (replacing it would require cutting/welding unless they add extra flanges to allow the catalytic converter to be bolted on/off)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Well, while I understand your view, if I recall correctly, cars aren't even the main source of our emissions in the world...but yes, every little CAN help, but some people either:

#1. have another catalytic converter in a different place
#2. just don't want to spend extra money and deal with the hassle of it (replacing it would require cutting/welding unless they add extra flanges to allow the catalytic converter to be bolted on/off)
No, certainly not the main source, but still a significant contributor. The air has been gradually but steadily getting worse in my general area for years, and it's heavily related to the steadily growing traffic. Being able to taste the air and occasionally trying to hold your breath puts a real damper on bicycling or running !

I like flanges, increases flexibility, they're pretty cheap too ! Installed three last summer when my Eclipse got a nice new 2.5" ceramic cat !
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, certainly not the main source, but still a significant contributor. The air has been gradually but steadily getting worse in my general area for years, and it's heavily related to the steadily growing traffic. Being able to taste the air and occasionally trying to hold your breath puts a real damper on bicycling or running !

I like flanges, increases flexibility, they're pretty cheap too ! Installed three last summer when my Eclipse got a nice new 2.5" ceramic cat !
I'm not advocating running no cats (because honestly, removing cats on an N/A car, even a turbo car, is really pointless IMO. The "restriction" comes from the catalytic converter being clogged...), but some people still have a catalytic converter on their header (aka stock header people) and don't need it. Know what I mean? I'm going for universal compatibility here so everyone is happy, but in the end the decision is Tsudo's.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd have to see what benefits this will aid in the future, but I could be interested in this.

1. DrewxB08
2. flyingemu05
3. xseveredveganx
4. pyroman131
Old 02-20-2012, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Thanks again everyone, Will be in contact with Tsudo tomorrow and hope to have any type of updates and more info to answer questions.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DREWxB08
Thanks again everyone, Will be in contact with Tsudo tomorrow and hope to have any type of updates and more info to answer questions.
Good luck. It shouldn't really be too hard to make a mid-piece like this...it's a small part of the exhaust that's generally straightforward.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:05 PM
SKI
SL Member

Yeah i want one for sure. I have a TRD exhaust that is very quite because that Scuba tank. I would love a direct bolt in unit, that way incase mr DMV says something i can bolt the factory back on.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Hey everyone spoke with Tony over at Speed-Element and he see's there is most definitely interest for this part so its a go. He's gonna be having a local xB2 come to his shop next week or so to mock it up and i will have more info and pictures once the testing is over. It will be made from 304 stainless steel and will have a 200 Cell/inch Metal Catalyst from what he's saying now this may change but that's the info i have now. Will have more info as the days go by and will pass along any ideas or questions to Tony at Speed-Element.com Will be talking price next time i speak with him.

Also we were talking about a full header and S-pipe set up. He will be checking it out once he has the xB2 at the shop.

Thanks to you guys this is gonna happen!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good -- looking forward to learning about what they put together !
Old 02-21-2012, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey everyone spoke with Tony over at Speed-Element and he see's there is most definitely interest for this part so its a go. He's gonna be having a local xB2 come to his shop next week or so to mock it up and i will have more info and pictures once the testing is over. It will be made from 304 stainless steel and will have a 200 Cell/inch Metal Catalyst from what he's saying now this may change but that's the info i have now. Will have more info as the days go by and will pass along any ideas or questions to Tony at Speed-Element.com Will be talking price next time i speak with him.

Also we were talking about a full header and S-pipe set up. He will be checking it out once he has the xB2 at the shop.

Thanks to you guys this is gonna happen!
Have him make the catalytic converter section flanged so it can easily be removed. You should also try to get him to make an option to replace the catalytic converter with a straight pipe....for lesser cost + for those who just don't want a cat. This type of option should pretty much be simple/straightforward.....same design/shape, but different parts.

Also I beg of both you and Speed-Element....try to use the biggest muffler possible or this thing is gonna be loud and raspy.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Long muffler will be great. The tC tsudo setup sounds pretty alright.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have him make the catalytic converter section flanged so it can easily be removed. You should also try to get him to make an option to replace the catalytic converter with a straight pipe....for lesser cost + for those who just don't want a cat. This type of option should pretty much be simple/straightforward.....same design/shape, but different parts.

Also I beg of both you and Speed-Element....try to use the biggest muffler possible or this thing is gonna be loud and raspy.
A-men! Good catalytic converter function is important to many, but clearly not all ! Plus, a loud and annoying exhaust sound is anything but desirable. Fact is, the OE "scuba" works, whatever replaces it needs to work better !
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A-men! Good catalytic converter function is important to many, but clearly not all ! Plus, a loud and annoying exhaust sound is anything but desirable. Fact is, the OE "scuba" works, whatever replaces it needs to work better !
Yes, as said before, it's not that I'm promoting removing cats, but our cars are considered ULEV and the front/main catalytic converter does most of the "work". There are some people that have this weird logic that not removing the header for something else will keep the car "not-so-raspy" (as seen by the tC guys), so they keep the stock header and work on the rest of the exhaust, so this can apply to some xB2 guys as well. The main reason for the raspiness isn't the header. The header, while it does add noise due to being free flowing, is a side reason forthe increased noise. It's the mufflers they replace the stock stuff with. Going to 2.5 inch diameter piping with small straight through mufflers will never give you a chance to have a quiet car....either run baffled design mufflers that are "small" or run big straight through ones.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Will pass along all ideas and thoughts..... Also if you guys wanna ask direct question can Email Tony Direct sales@speed-element.com or just keep adding the this post and will keep him updated!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's probably best to have it centralized here.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

Sounds good to me! I'm very happy this is gonna happen for us xB2 owners!! I can't wait to see the turn out and also sound increas and performance for others.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good to me! I'm very happy this is gonna happen for us xB2 owners!! I can't wait to see the turn out and also sound increas and performance for others.
Performance increase won't be too noticeable unless the rest of the exhaust is changed. This car seems to like exhaust changes (from dynos of changing stuff like the header and catback only, without changing the s-pipe/scuba). Sound will increase a LOT for sure whether they use a big muffler or not. I doubt they will ever match the size of the stock scuba if they decide to put a test pipe or catalytic converter section on the mid-section, and the baffled design is just overall much better at reducing sound.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

our cars are considered ULEV and the front/main catalytic converter does most of the "work".
Gotta disagree on the second part ! ULEV (Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle) does not imply the front cat does the heavy lifting. Our front cat is what Toyota terms a "warm up" cat (also frequently called a "pre-cat") and it's specific purpose is to start the scrubbing process as quickly as possible following engine start. This is accomplished by very close proximity to the exhaust outlets (max quick heat to activate the catalyst) and typically by having less mass than the main cat (less to heat and so again quicker). Our main cat, is located in the "scuba". This is additionally supported by my understanding that the warm-up cat is a two-way, whereas the main cat is three-way.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting. I have minimal experience with cars with 2 catalytic converters.....guess assuming that the Primary Cat does most of the work (which is what it seems to be called) was wrong. Good catch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Up Date Video *5-21-2012* Finally the parts arrived yesterday.