Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Questions about super or turbo for my 08 xb

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

Default Questions about super or turbo for my 08 xb

hello,
I am having a tough time trying to determine what I want for my 08 xb. you guys prolly know that its the 2.4 L and definitely know a hell of alot more than me on this stuff. well heres my situation. ive read up on this super and turbo stuff but im at a loss. i want to give it some power but I havent a clue as to what would be best for this. I know I can get alot more power from this motor but I dont wanna be dumping 10 grand into this motor. Its not a race car, it is my daily driver, but at night i want the power and speed. but I dont want to be spending thousands and thousands into this thing and have to mess with it every time I drive. what can I do for around 3 to 4 grand. Well actually what is best. i want that power and speed and to be able to drive it around without worries. Pleeese help. super or turbo.

Scott
Old 10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Its all up to you. If you want something you can install and be done with right away, I would say go for the TRD supercharger when it becomes available....

Otherwise, there is going to be a LastLook Customs & Motorsports turbo kit going to be available soon.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member

Ok however which one is best for my type of driving. i drive to work and back and everywhere else, backroads and such. but at night when i want to fly i want the power.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as a DD.... s/c
plus it'll be under warranty
Old 10-17-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Add another vote for the TRD SC. Although a turbo can make more power, the SC would be better for a reliable daily driver and still puts out over 200 whp.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member

Im sure i'll have more questions about this stuff cuz I havent a clue on how this stuff is hooked up or anything. I mean I do my own work but this would be something that is out of my reach and I would definitely have my dealer put that in. On a second note, the supercharger, is or can the boost be adjusted on it? what psi do they put out? could I get 250 whp out of it??

thanks
Scott
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a supercharger is a blower driven by the crank of your engine. the amount of boost it makes is directly related to your rpms, making 7 psi at redline.

you can adjust the boost certin ways, one is to put on a smaller pulley so it will spin faster and make more boost, like alot of supercharged tc use 9,5 psi pulleys instead of the stock 7 psi pulley.

the problem is that this will completely void the warranty of your supercharger and engine, so don't don it unless your past your warranty anyway.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

thankx drax.
You seem to know your stuff.

When i get this put in by my dealer, should i take it to get everything tuned at a dyno shop for best performance or let it go, also does my mpg drop? how much, and what octane fuel should i use (dealer tells me no drop in mpg's and use regular fuel) i find this hard to believe.

does anyone have any hp numbers on what this supercharger does to the 2.4 or track times???

thanks
scott
Old 10-19-2007, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most people lose a few mpg, depends on how often you let your box go into boost.

and you'll have to use 91 octane. your dealership is wrong.

your mpg is going to drop, your forcing more air into your box, and that air needs more fuel.

as for you, if your confident your abilities and your dyno tuner, you can get a 9.5 pulley, belt, and a bosch 110 or forge 007 bpv valve to hold the extra boost (stock bpv will release any pressure over 7 psi) and you'll have quite a nice bump in power, but you'll have no warranty.

the superchargers now come with tamper proof bolts to prevent swaping the pulley, or to atleast make it clear that you did try to tamper with it, which will result in your powertrain warranty being just about null and void.

if you don't want that, get a new supercharger, get it installed by your dealership, leave it alone, and it will share your powertrain warranty (5 year/60,000 miles) whichever comes first.

as for track times, stock tc versus stock supercharged tc loses half a second on the 1/4 mile.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would go with a turbo more hp and better mpg depending how you drive . but the sc you get all the hp now

p.s dont forget you will need a limited slip or you will just sit and spin
Old 10-19-2007, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious but for a daily driver whose owner doesn't want any worries, you'd still recommend an aftermarket, warranty-voiding turbo over the factory warrantied TRD SC?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

factory warrentied trd sc. something goes wrong in 5 years or 60,000 miles, your covered.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

whats going to break if its a daily driver?

don't other car makers use turbos they must be safe and i bet they all will someday turbos are free hp.sc take hp to make hp .
Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that a turbo is a more efficient method of FI but IMO there is a distinct differnce between a factory FI setup and aftermarket. Also, an aftermarket turbo setup that makes more power than the TRD SC would place more strain on engine and drivetrain components.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sure any more hp puts more strain form 1hp to 1000hp it all depends how you drive it.

are we sure that the sc will ever come out ?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member

in what drax was talking about bpv. Is that a by-pass-valve. what is the difference in a bpv and a bov. i like to have it make that woosh sound in between shifts or after revving. how many mpgs will i drop?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I agree that a turbo is a more efficient method of FI but IMO there is a distinct differnce between a factory FI setup and aftermarket. Also, an aftermarket turbo setup that makes more power than the TRD SC would place more strain on engine and drivetrain components.
Absolutely true Fred.
When I had my VW I'd see guys pushing that engine to limits I didn't think were safe but in the end an engine built for FI will just handle more, period.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scotts08xb
in what drax was talking about bpv. Is that a by-pass-valve. what is the difference in a bpv and a bov. i like to have it make that woosh sound in between shifts or after revving. how many mpgs will i drop?
VAG engines use a DV, diverter valve, which I always thought was better since it kept using metered air that was already measured inside the system as opposed to just letting pressure just bleed off like a BOV. I hate the sound of a BOV, some live for it, to each their own.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mnscionxb
sure any more hp puts more strain form 1hp to 1000hp it all depends how you drive it.

are we sure that the sc will ever come out ?
True but what's the point of spending $3000-$4000 for more hp if you're not going to use it?

I don't know if TRD will ever release a SC for the XB2 but I'm still hoping. I guess I just prefer the simplicity of a SC although I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car with a factory-installed turbo. To each his own.