Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2010 xB Security System?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2010 xB Security System?

Hey, anyone install a Security System on there xB?

I'm looking for one that will work with the factory key electronics and keyless entry.

Thanx

__

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-15-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the OEM security system on my 2010. Seems to work fine so far. See below:

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1541
Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stuntman, did you install this yourself? If so, is it basically unplugging connectors and connecting the security in between or did you need to cut any wires? Thanx
Old 09-15-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It was installed by the dealer when I bought the car. The installation instructions are available on TRD Sparks website.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT398-52081inst.pdf
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going for this, but I talked to a part guy at a dealer, he told me it's just a glass breaking sensor, nothing much other than that, so I decide go for aftermarket. He also refers me to a local shop where they, the dealer, takes all the vehicle for add-ons, and they charges whatever on the top of that. The local shop that I talked to gave me a plan
which includes LoJack sensor, Laser beam inside the cabin, Motion sensor, Voice activated warning, Wheel sensor, Engine terminate sensor, and etc, all that for $400 installed, while the dealer told me they had to charge $800 for just install a glass breaking sensor. My advise is talk to the parts guys, ask them where to install a good alarm system.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The OEM security system is based on forced entry and glass breakage. The glass breakage sensor's sensitivity is factory set to 5, I think that's not very sensitive. The glass breakage sensor's ECU is in the console under the gear stick, there's 11 sensitivity levels, I set mine to 7 and I'm satisfied with it. Also, the OEM security system apparently features starter disable for when it detects it's being started without the key. I would've gone for an aftermarket two-way alarm but I like the fact how everything's plugged into the OEM factory harnesses and whatnot.

Viper and Clifford are good, any model with a two-way system is best.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, jnavel, what year Scion and model do u have? and what is the part # of the system you installed?
Did you install it yourself, you mentioned everything just plugged in? Does it work with the factory key electronics?

Thanx

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-21-2021 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joeynenj
hi, Jnavel, what year scion and model do u have? and what is the part # of the system you installed? Did you install it yourself, you mentioned everything just plugged in? Does it work with the factory key electronics? Thanx
I have a '09 BSP Scion xB. I have the OEM Scion Security System, the part number is PT398-52081. I installed the system, it's all plug-n-play (which is why I liked it, use of factory harnesses, no splicing or anything which is required for aftermarket system, wasn't too keen on cutting up my brand new wiring.) because, as far as I know, every Scion comes with the wiring for the security system. The wiring is connected with the basic keyless entry and panic mode system which is why it comes with every Scion. (Dealerships that install their alarms on their vehicles to prevent theft while on the lot use this wiring, they remove their alarm before delivery to the customer.)

When you order the OEM Scion Securty System, all you get in the box are two security ECU's and the status indicator with some wiring here and there to connect them all together. Plug them into the open connectors for the exisiting wiring, set the sensitivity, mount the ECU's (one under the glove box, the other under the center console under the gear stick.) and you're set. It's all already connected to the locks, door handles, ignition, horn, lights, hazard lights, interior lights.

Of course, if you're looking for an aftermarket system or something with more and better features, go ahead and pick one up. I'm satisfied with my OEM security system because of the reasons I provided. Again, easy install too.

Last edited by jnaval; 09-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hi, Jnavel, thanks, that was very helpful, im gonna go with the plug and play system. One thing? After you installed and reconnected the battery, was there any setup/initializing to make the factory keys work? Ive seen in the direction something about a "short pin" on the fuse box, did you have to use that for anything? Thanx
Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A quick note about reconnecting the battery, when you reconnect the battery the alarm will go off.

And to answer your question, I didn't do anything to program the factory keys. Since it's already integrated, it's already "programmed" to work with the factory keys.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi, so you didnt have to program your specific key(s)? How does the system know if its you or anyone with a scion/toyota key? Thanx
Old 09-22-2009, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Because the OE keyless entry system already recognizes the keys. The security system simply cooperates with the existing installation.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd suggest an aftermarket alarm. Although the integrated key and stuff is nice, for about the same price as the RS3200 (I believe thats what its called), you can get a 1mi. Viper 2-way system. I have the Viper 5900, but I hear they have something even better!