Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Aftermarket HU's and Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Eltaco
the 3 wires mentioned are they "can bus"? I want to switch to the pioneer after market with Bluetooth. As of July 1st it will be a ticket to be on your phone in CA w/o a hands free and I hate my bt earpiece. I have the parrot in my truck and love it.
Yeah the 3 wires are used to control the deck from the steering wheel, they use different resistance values to to tell the deck what to do, and the swi-jack interprets those values for an aftermarket deck.

The pioneer Bluetooth piece is rad, but I dont really understand the question. Using the steering wheel interface you can basically "teach" your steering wheel controls to do anything that the aftermarket decks wireless remote can do (ie switch sources, like Bluetooth)

I dunno if that helps?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

answer to Eltaco's question...:

http://www.pac-audio.com/instructions/swi-jack.pdf

Look here. You'll see in the programming instructions a bit down the page, that the BLUETOOTH option is NOT in the list of programmable SWC functions...
& by the way, your deck probally need a "WIRED" remote plug in back for this thing to work.
I have the PAC, PS (Sony/Pioneer) & a Pioner 4900i & it works GREAT!!! , But my new Pioneer Premier deck HAS a wired remote plugin the back....
Good luck with your project.....

Here's another thread on the subject...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=195979

jh
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure what you're talking about. My current head unit is in a WRX, not an xB. I'm waiting on my WRX to sell and then I get the xB.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xFistsClenchedx says... "Do any cheap, aftermarket head units allow you to control them via the steering wheel audio controls? I could get a nicer looking head unit than the premium one for cheaper, but I want to be able to control the stereo from the steering wheel. Do any aftermarket head units allow this?""

Your original question ^^^ the answer is YES, but it has to has a plug in for a 'wired remote' in the back of the unit & you have to buy another peice of hardware called an SWI (sterring wheel control interface) & wire it in then program it with your existing SWC buttons...

After you got your question asked, then you asked another about the sound quality

"" Would I see a difference in sound quality from the premium hu to a $200 alpine hu?""

A high power aftermarket H/U will give you MORE CLEAN power to your speakers & a much better sound!!!! IMHO

Now..
Eltaco says....
"the 3 wires mentioned are they "can bus"? I want to switch to the pioneer after market with Bluetooth. As of July 1st it will be a ticket to be on your phone in CA w/o a hands free and I hate my bt earpiece. I have the parrot in my truck and love it.""
& my answer in my previous post was to him.......

sorry for the confusion. I forgot this was your thread & forgot that Eltaco hijacked it with his question.. I assumed that it was yours till i re-read it..
anyways.. you both are getting good answers & wish you luck in your decisions to up grade your audio.......

jh

& you got a few responses about that.. good!!!