Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Checked with Sirius...all its tuners are compatible with all aftermarket head units that are satellite ready. False alarm. Now considering Pioneer 3400bh or Kenwood ddx419.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Alpine coaxials and Alpine amp installed yesterday...whoa. volume is loud at 20! But what a difference from stock speakers. Still considering upgrading the base head unit. Looking at Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, Kenwood DDX719 or the JVC KW-AV60BT...some good prices on Ebay. Any suggestions...I am now not so concerned about losing the factory-installed mic and usb. I want a good Bluetooth for the phone though. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ursula1000
Alpine coaxials and Alpine amp installed yesterday...whoa. volume is loud at 20! But what a difference from stock speakers. Still considering upgrading the base head unit. Looking at Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, Kenwood DDX719 or the JVC KW-AV60BT...some good prices on Ebay. Any suggestions...I am now not so concerned about losing the factory-installed mic and usb. I want a good Bluetooth for the phone though. Appreciate any feedback.
Yes, dumping the factory door speakers is definitely a good move if you care about sound quality. Since my OE HU didn't have RCA outputs (line level, that is), I can't speak for what you're hearing with your own OE HU. My suggestion is to take your time and listen to what you have, and also to consider installing door panel damping as I mentioned above.

In light of both what is good and not so good about your current sound -- is anything particularly wrong (recognizing auto sound can not possibly match the quality possibilities of home sound, too much going on)? My fundamental position is that no changes should be made unless one believes said changes will improve upon an identified problem. Presuming a problem has been defined, it's then a question of what would be the most effective solution. (Yeah, I know, I'm radical -- blame my audio quality centric background.)

Nobody can make effective suggestions specific to you, you have to work this out for yourself. Basic process is to define the problem, and then come up with a solution. Others problems/solutions may not work out well for you.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are interested in a single DIN head unit then look at the Alpine CDE-123. This unit sounds great(I had it in my Sonata) and you can buy the SiriusXM SXV100 to go with it. This is a really small SiriusXM tuner that plugs into the rear of the Alpine unit behind the dash(no wiring to splice on this, only plug the cable into the back of the radio) and you can control all the Sat features by the head unit. It can be used for folks with Sirius or folks with XM because it has both Sirius and XM built into the unit(verses needing to get a different unit for each one)

The other thing about the CDE-123 is that it has two USB/iPod ports. One is in the rear and comes with a 6 ft long cable to allow you run the cable under the carpet under the center console and stick the through the factory AUX port in the center console.

Here is another suggestion

On my departed Buick LeSabre, I had a JVC KW-AV50 double DIN touch screen head unit. It has a rear mounted USB port that comes with a cable that you can run anywhere and hid the whole thing. It also has a detachable face (making it one of the rare double DIN touch screen units that have this feature.) It comes with a case for it. It had one of the nicest iPod controls that I have ever used in a car radio. It set me back $299 for the HU, $60 for the unit that allowed me to use the steering controls. I had it professionally installed and it all came to a total of $700 for everything(I had to get a module for the chimes and Onstar because GM integrated them to the radio. It is Sat compatible

I also had the iPod cable routed to an otherwise useless slide out compartment under the radio.I have a cheap used pawn shop iPod that I keep for the cars

I also like that while it does not offer a dimming feature which dims the HU when the lights are on, it does offer the option to set it so that it dims at a certain time (in my case I have it set to dim at 6pm and stay dim until 7am the next morning) and it has a feature for DST so that you don't have to change setting in winter or spring

Here are some pics of it in my old 2005 LeSabre

Name:  radio4-1.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  radio3-1.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  radio2-1.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  radio1-1.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  radio5.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  121.3 KB

I have not thought about replacing my factory HU in the Scion yet because I find mine sounds good for what I wanted and I like the iPod stays hidden away

Good luck to you on this quest
Old 07-22-2012, 02:49 PM

Trevor, once again, you are spot on. The aftmkt speakers sound great...going back to have the amp set to low gain...too much hissing and the volume at 10 is loud!

With that said, I have to make a decision whether I can live without a touch screen hu or must have one. The Scion-installed Sirius tuner is only compatible with the base and the premium upgrade units. It will not work with aftmkt head units. I thoroughly researched it. Those idiots!

So I do like the base unit. I do like the USB/Aux in the center console. The microphone and the hands-free are clear as a bell. And if I keep the base unit with the fact-installed Sirius, Toyota/Scion gave me a 6 month free SiruisXM trial.

Now if I can't live without a Touchscreen double din, then I would have to chuck the fact-installed Sirius tuner, get a compatible one for the new head unit and pray that SiriusXM honors the 6 month trial. But me thinks, they won't because they are all thieves!

Journey...thanks for the insight. But I am looking for a double din...and see above for the calamity of my life with Toyota!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trevor, once again, you are spot on. The aftmkt speakers sound great...going back to have the amp set to low gain...too much hissing and the volume at 10 is loud!

With that said, I have to make a decision whether I can live without a touch screen hu or must have one. The Scion-installed Sirius tuner is only compatible with the base and the premium upgrade units. It will not work with aftmkt head units. I thoroughly researched it. Those idiots!

So I do like the base unit. I do like the USB/Aux in the center console. The microphone and the hands-free are clear as a bell. And if I keep the base unit with the fact-installed Sirius, Toyota/Scion gave me a 6 month free SiruisXM trial.

Now if I can't live without a Touchscreen double din, then I would have to chuck the fact-installed Sirius tuner, get a compatible one for the new head unit and pray that SiriusXM honors the 6 month trial. But me thinks, they won't because they are all thieves!

Journey...thanks for the insight. But I am looking for a double din...and see above for the calamity of my life with Toyota!
Yeah, I'm not into amplifiers in my cars, no interest in entertaining the passers-by or tail-gate partyers. I prefer to keep it simple and focus on getting a quality head unit including a like quality integral amplifier. True, no bragging rights, but all I care about is how it sounds to me and my volume settings are modest, my ears don't enjoy abuse !

Sounds like you're really not going to be able to truly hear what you have until the amplifier is dialed down, so again, take your time on a replacement HU. If you eventually conclude you prefer double DIN features, but you like the sound of the OE HU, then at least you'll have a reference point for the sound. If you go that route, I again suggest trying two or three different head units (preferably with positive reviews regarding the attributes you most care about) and choosing the one that pleases you best. However, I also suggest yet again damping your door panels before going any further. Resonating door panels make it much more difficult to identify what the HU itself is doing.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey why don't you look into oem audio+ super good
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM

Dom, the premium factory head unit goes for $900...way over-priced. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To set you amp right, turn your amp all the way down (gain) and then find the top sound level by turning the volume to 75% of max of the head unit and slowly turn the gain untill you hear it start hissing or distorting.

Name:  RMSC172.png
Views: 308
Size:  672.1 KB

example on my ddx419

Max volume is 35 (turned mine to 27-28 and adjusted the amp to there. I know now I never should go over 28. My amp is running only at 55% of max gain as full gain is not always the best. 55% gain is were my alpine runs my components all around and is most efficent at that level. Hope this helps with setting yours....
Old 07-23-2012, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Trevor, i found a coupleof head units with rear USB. Would that let me keep my USB port in the center console. Saw a JVC and Sony model at Best Buy.

I'm also not worried about having my usb up front with this new super slim key chain 8gb usb stick.....

Name:  RMSC194.png
Views: 384
Size:  501.7 KB
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shadezz
I'm also not worried about having my usb up front with this new super slim key chain 8gb usb stick.....
Shadezz, thanks for the gain tips...will try it. As for the front USB, I use my iPod Classic and not a flash stick...so there will be a wire hanging down the center. So if I go Kenwood, me thinks the DDX719 is the model to get.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shadezz, thanks for the gain tips...will try it. As for the front USB, I use my iPod Classic and not a flash stick...so there will be a wire hanging down the center. So if I go Kenwood, me thinks the DDX719 is the model to get.
Then the DDX719 is the one for you!!! Also I found out that Iphone users with DDX419 and DDX719 can use a Iphone app to display nav on the kenwood screen!!! So never purchase a nav unit again!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Shade, sorry to disappoint...I went with the Pioneer avh-p8400. It had built in HD Radio tuner, detachable faceplate. A friend has one and heard it, loved the UI...I did hear the 719 and loved it too...but Pioneer got my money. but thanks for your help.