Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

@! power steering light?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default @! power steering light?

I got to drive my xb the past 2 days , the heater broke in my tacoma and my parents didnt want me to catch cold, so they let me drive my car.

Anyway I see a new idiot light pop on when I turn the key, it looks like a steering wheel with a ! after it. It goes off with the rest of them after a few seconds, but seems its different in steering. Sure it was 7 degrees, but my arms are sore from steering. Can it be adjusted or tested? Does the steering "learn" from how its use and adopt?

Likewise for the tranny, seems it could not make up its mind around 40mph if it wanted 3 or 4th gear and shifted between the 2. The only solution I found was to put it in 3rd or go faster than 40. Does the tranny learn and shift according to its driver?

Thanks.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: @! power steering light?

Originally Posted by cobb
Does the steering "learn" from how its use and adopt?
Does the tranny learn and shift according to its driver?
No, and No.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That light that looks like a steering wheel is the airbag light.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh...cobb...did your new xb come with an owner's manual??? and a warranty??? LMAO!

i'm pretty sure your talking about the TPMS or tire presure monitoring system warning light.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm.. I thought that was the icon for the electric steering motor not working, and from the sounds of it, it isn't working properly, and the tranny should not be shifting alot during driving at 40mph.
That vehicle needs to be serviced.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, and if you had read any of my previous posts, this car was driven to west virginia and back, then given to my elderly parents to drive. Only thing I have done to it was install fogs and change the oil and filter at 2500 miles. Sure I have driven a few hundred miles, taken my dad to the hospital or picked him up in it, but dont recall seeing this light before.

My tacoma has a light that looks like an air bag deploying when it cranks up. this is just a steering wheel logo with a ! after it in red.

It still has the feel of twisting the head of an electric drill when I steer, but I dont recall seeing that light when I first start up the car.

Since the light is not on constantly, I did not think to take it to the dealer. I assumed you guys who drive and mod these cars were the experts on them outside of contacting the dealer who may or may not know the technical aspects. I think I read or saw somewhere constant steering can cause it to over heat and a logo will blink???

I think the tps is (!) not @! like.

Thanks anyway guys.

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
uh...cobb...did your new xb come with an owner's manual??? and a warranty??? LMAO!

i'm pretty sure your talking about the TPMS or tire presure monitoring system warning light.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the transmission is adaptive, it will learn from driving behaviors. Pretty sure the steering isnt adaptive.
Also, the transmission will act a bit weird until everything is warmed up and toasty. Probably won't go into 4th (OD) till everything is warm.

As for the steering... check the fluid level perhaps...

If its still all funky... use that warrenty!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you check your manual, the page that shows the "Indicator symbols on the instrument cluster" describes the steering wheel with the exclamation point next to it as "Electric power steering system warning light", and under "Service reminder indicators and warning buzzers" says to "Take vehicle to Scion dealer immediately." when that light is on.

The transmission is "adaptive" in that it will alter shift points based on the rate of acceleration (accelerating faster will result in the transmission holding a given gear longer before shifting at a higher RPM), but I have been told by a Toyota/Scion mechanic at my local dealership that it does not "learn" how I drive or make any adjustments based on any type of "learning". He said it will make these same shift point changes no matter who is driving or who's xB it is. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but that is why I said it doesn't learn or make changes based on any individuals' driving style.

In section 1-7 of the manual it states that "If the engine coolant temperature is low, the transmission will not shift into the overdrive gear [4th] even in the "D" position.

I hope this helps clarify some things for you cobb.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks CIONIDE, wish I could give you spirit points or something, yeah, I am sure I got the manual right in the glove box 63 miles from my current location.

I knew I thought I read it had an idiot light since it was electric PS, but I thought it just indicated over heating vs any problems. Thanks for that.

The tranny gave me all the gears, but it kept hunting or reshifting on slight grades at 40mph. My quick fix was to just put it in 3rd or go faster.

I drove it about 300 miles in this cold snap we have, our heat sucks in the house and we were using me as an excuse to stay warm while I drove around aimlessly. Seems my occupants complained of head aches, but I did not have one. Guessing a carbon monoxide leak too?

Justwaiting for 5000 miles to take it in for the first check up, front sway bar upgrade, this steering and a possible exhaust leak.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks CIONIDE, wish I could give you spirit points or something.
I accept checks, PM me for my address.

The tranny gave me all the gears, but it kept hunting or reshifting on slight grades at 40mph. My quick fix was to just put it in 3rd or go faster.
I don't know if you were using cruise control or not, but the tranny definitely gear hunts and down shifts more on grades when using CC. It also gets worse gas mileage on grades when using CC because of the excessive downshifting. Your "quick fix solution" is a good one.

You mentioned a front sway bar upgrade. Do you have a rear sway bar? If you mean a beefier front sway bar, without a rear sway bar, all you will accomplish is to add more understeer. If you have the stock front sway, and want a mild handling upgrade, add the TRD rear sway bar for better more neutral handling. If you want a bigger improvement, get the Hotchkis front & rear sway bar set-up.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Hotchkis front & rear sway bar, just the rear installed so far.

Yeah, the cc is too agressive to get great fuel economy, we need a way to turn down the gain.

Hey, I got a check for 4,999.98 cents, cash it and wire me 10%, you can keep the rest.

Your checkings account has been open more than 90 days right?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I got a check for 4,999.98 cents, cash it and wire me 10%, you can keep the rest.
I didn't know you live in Nigeria.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey don't forget about me, I put in my 2 cents, and I want it back!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, thought you were the guy who said its the air bag light.

He wasnt interested in the check, cant blame him, lots of check fraud out there and many people guillable to be the next victim.

Originally Posted by Daarken
Hey don't forget about me, I put in my 2 cents, and I want it back!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry, thought you were the guy who said its the air bag light.
My bad...I stand corrected.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the :pleasure: of driving my car 280 miles round trip and a few missed turns to VA Beach and back. No power steering light or any stering issues. Lots of stop n go traffic. Infact I left it in 3d to hope save the tranny.

Wonder if really cold weather or leaving he heat on full blast can cause sterring problems?