Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

08 xB rubber molding on roof question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 08 xB rubber molding on roof question

OK so...1st can anyone tell me what they are there for and the purpose they serve??

I only ask cause I noticed the other day that the 2 i know I had...were gone!!!

I went to Avondale Toyota and they told me $80 bucks a piece...that's crazy!!

It looks better with them...but why would some one steal these??

And does anyone know where i can get them for cheaper??

Thanks!!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-11-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you were going super fast, they might have flew off. jkjk, no but really they used to come loose on my civic, no idea where you can get them cheaper, look for a totaled 08 xB maybe?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 03:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well i was reading on anohter site that people have gone thru carwash's and had the blowers blow them off...and the same day i noticed they were gone i went thru a cheap little carwash....so im going to go there now to see what the hell is up..but if anyone knows where i can get em for cheap if they dont have them would be awesome
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely go to the dealer and tell them you want them replaced under warranty. things shouldn't fall off new cars like that under normal usage. they replaced mine under warranty and at least one other person on here.

if they balk, ask for an appointment with the zone rep and tell him that you know at least two others that have had this problem. this could be a recall item at some point.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

hmm...thats an idea...i went to the car wash...and of course they were like...nope didnt find anything...and we clean it out everyday (like they were gonna tell me they actually found them) but i guess ill try the dealership...i know there is a few people on here that actually work there...so maybe they will know im not bull____tin...thanks much for the info...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm going out on a limb here , but I think that is where the roof structure is welded to the side door / frame assembly. Did you happen to notice like a continous bead of caulking in this area? The "carwash theory" sounds good to me. I can't imagine anyone stealing it because the vehicle is still on factory warranty.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, those are there to fill the "groove" where the roof panel is welded to the vehicle sides (instead of trying to make the roof "smooth" where it is welded together).

It seems these have been coming loose or falling out on some '08 xB2s, and there is NO reason for that to happen.

Kick it in as a warranty claim - miscellaneous bits and pieces of your vehicle should NOT come adrift in normal use - especially one made by Toyota.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup the blower moved mine. i think when it rains its supposed to direct teh water or some crap but it doesnt do it job at all
Old 07-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmmmm... On the original xB there is a "clip" at each end of the drip groove that holds the molding in securely. Does the xB2 have a clip at each end too, or are they maybe missing on the ones that are loosing the moldings?

http://scionlife.org/Scion_Docs/2004...eplacement.pdf
Old 07-26-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just an update.....took the car in today and new part put on looks good! The part was back ordered for a bit due to high demand I guess. The dealer told me that 2 others had come in with the same problem scince I was in. All of these the drivers side same as mine. He had previously said the would apply some glue with the new strip but they opted not to because the part was a new style. It looks the same as the old one but where it clips in it seemed like a little stiffer rubber.
So it looks like there is a problem with them, typically the drivers side and they are trying to fix it.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed mine were gone the other day!

I don't got through car washes so I doubt it was that. I think someone just hates me. I've had my car keyd and 3 of my tires slashed.

I'm going to try the dealership too.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

This is real common on Corolla's and the Matrix's. The xB's, not so much. The drier fan at car washes WILL blow them off but the newer ones might not.

We have a stack or so next to our car wash regularly and we just replace them as needed.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-04-2020 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 09-26-2016, 11:49 PM

I know this is a very old thread, but I lost the driver's side moulding on my '09. Bought another on ebay, which was the cheapest place to get it. Genuine Toyota part. I also bought the clips that are SUPPOSED to hold it on. Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on how to install these? Clips should be here tomorrow. Thinking about also running a bead of silicone down the trough to help hold it, as well as taking the passenger side off (if I can find out how) and doing the same. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but have never had this happen on a vehicle before. I understand it's very common on the earlier 2nd gens.