Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

had my alignment done on a xb2 and wtf bent???????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 PM

Default had my alignment done on a xb2 and wtf bent???????

i took my car in to have the alignment checked on it before i lowered it just to make sure everything was good just so the dealer ship doesnt say anything. well when i picked up my car they told me that my rear axel is bent. now at work we have another 08 xb as a show car and it had the same problem (never got the show car fixed) . i was wondering if anyone has heard of this problem or what the deal is.
thanks

ps- i have the alignment sheet but im not sure how to post it.
thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i lowered mine i ailighned it myself, here is the problem you are running into

the rear axle on the xb is solid. and it pivots in an arc when the suspension goes up and down. when you lower your xb it pivots the rear axle up.

now if read the specs for the xb youll notice how much negative camber (tires point in at the top) the rear tires have. when the rear axle pivots up it starts to toe in the rear tires and at the same time decrease the camber in due to the arc of the suspension and the fact that the hubs are directly bolted to the axle. the way most shops correct this is with a shim kit.
the problem with the shim kit is when you install it, you cannot bolt up the rear brake calipers, they will hit the rotor. i know this because i tried it.
i ended up not aligning the rear of my box because of this and i have had no irregular tire wear or handling issues after 5k miles.

long story short, your rear axle is probably not bent and the techs at your dealership need to go back to school.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM

man, this torsion beam thing is interesting...i guess...(my car has independent rears)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:34 PM

well how come its just on the passenger rear the driver side is just fine.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by UNOHxB
when i lowered mine i ailighned it myself, here is the problem you are running into

the rear axle on the xb is solid. and it pivots in an arc when the suspension goes up and down. when you lower your xb it pivots the rear axle up.

now if read the specs for the xb youll notice how much negative camber (tires point in at the top) the rear tires have. when the rear axle pivots up it starts to toe in the rear tires and at the same time decrease the camber in due to the arc of the suspension and the fact that the hubs are directly bolted to the axle. the way most shops correct this is with a shim kit.
the problem with the shim kit is when you install it, you cannot bolt up the rear brake calipers, they will hit the rotor. i know this because i tried it.
i ended up not aligning the rear of my box because of this and i have had no irregular tire wear or handling issues after 5k miles.

long story short, your rear axle is probably not bent and the techs at your dealership need to go back to school.
But what he is saying is he has this problem and it is not lowered yet ?? At least thats the way I read it .

My rear is dropped 2.5" and everything is fine but the toe slightly out of spec as you said because of the geometry or the rear suspension . But it is not extreme . My passenger side is fine and my drivers side toes in a 32nd out of spec . Not really a big issue . I run 265's on the rear and show no irregular tire wear .
Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bryutas
man, this torsion beam thing is interesting...i guess...(my car has independent rears)

sorry i was under the impression that you already lowered it.

if this is before anything was done then i guess something really could be bent. i don't think the warranty is going to cover that.