Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

New issue of Car and Driver slams the new xB

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To answer your question a bit more directly though, The smoothness is definatly improved. You've got to test drive one to really respect the difference. If you hit a lip of a driveway or hit a speed bump its a nice solid muffled thud, where with my older scion it was kind of a "BOING" or "TWANG" sound from the back door panels (like when you slam then, same thing). The new xB has a much more insulated feel to it. The back doors are better too btw, not perfect but much better.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that we can all be one big square happy family. I have nothing against the XB2's, (yes, I have had second thoughts) LOL, but for me, my 1st gen fits MY needs best. It's a great little commuter and I always have people asking me about it in parking lots. (Okay, I do go to WalMart, I admit it).
What I wish Scion (Toyota) would do is make a regular cab, short bed Tacoma-like truck in the Scion concept. You know, well equipped, high tech and economical. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, my wife would probably trade her Accord in for one. It seems here in Oregon, Toyota dealers may have one or two base model 2x4 Tacomas in a sea of double-cab 4x4 $30K Tacomas. What do you guys think? A Scion XP?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean this one ;)

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/18/2...ds-for-pickup/
Old 07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by glock32
I agree that we can all be one big square happy family. I have nothing against the XB2's, (yes, I have had second thoughts) LOL, but for me, my 1st gen fits MY needs best. It's a great little commuter and I always have people asking me about it in parking lots. (Okay, I do go to WalMart, I admit it).
What I wish Scion (Toyota) would do is make a regular cab, short bed Tacoma-like truck in the Scion concept. You know, well equipped, high tech and economical. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Heck, my wife would probably trade her Accord in for one. It seems here in Oregon, Toyota dealers may have one or two base model 2x4 Tacomas in a sea of double-cab 4x4 $30K Tacomas. What do you guys think? A Scion XP?
I'm a huge fan of small pickups, especially regular cabs. I've never owned a Toyota pickup, but I did have '92 Isuzu pickup as a company vehicle, owned a '94 Nissan Hardbody and currently have a Nissan Frontier XE (4cyl/5spd). I'm really disappointed at how large our "compact" pickups have become. Back in the 80's we had a great variety of actual small trucks to choose from (Nissan, Isuzu, Mazda, Toyota, Mitsubishi as well as the domestics).

I'm able to squeeze over 25mpg out of my Frontier, but my '94 could easily get 29mpg and was plenty large enough for me. If Scion can bring out a regular cab truck I will really give it some serious consideration.

edit - forgot to mention the VW pickup and the Dodge Rampage.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lets just face the facts. Its just another mini-van now.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those are hardly facts, rather they are more a gen-1 biased opinion.

The "Facts" from my point of view (unbiased btw, because i owned a 2006, and if funding allowed it i still would) are that the 2008 is a great replacement for the old style. Yes its been americanized, but where is it being sold? You guessed it! America!

Everything that was asked for on the 2006 and prior xBs was given to you, and you're still complaining. Just keep driving your older style.

While your at it, quit your complaining. I truly love my new xB and i loved my old xB, and you're boo-hooing wont ever change that.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw one finally. It's really not that much bigger. I was kind of surprised when I saw it. I was expecting it to be a lot bigger.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, yea, they're not Hummers. It's only ~1ft longer. the problem is any number of inches wider throws some people off. Luckily it's not wider than the tC, so i SHOULD be ok with it
Old 07-20-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I might consider getting one despite the mixed review by Car and Driver. Depends mostly on the Release Series and the test drive of course.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM
SL Member

When the 1st gen Xb's first came out I was really considering buying one. I first saw it at the L.A. car show. My boy was dj'ing for the Scion display; a gig he got through someone else, so we had no idea what Scion was. I was hanging out in the Xb thinking it was just a concept or Japaneese only car or something. Anyways when they finaly came out, the MAIN reason I didn't buy one was cuz of the lack of power. 108 hp to the crank, so that means by the time the power gets to the wheels you're only pushing about 85-95 hp max? No f--ing thank you!! Not to mention how annoying it is to be driving behind one. It seems like all Xb1's are driven by grannies cuz they're so slow......no offense to any 1st gen Xb former and current owners...but I'm telling it like it is. Though throughout the years of the 1st gen, the styling of it always caught my eye and still does.
So finaly I was ready for a new car due to my last car being a fully modded Eclipse(na) and now I have a son and need more room. I did my research on a lot of cars, went and test drove them, and weighed out the pro's and cons. My girl drives a TC and she was pushing me to go test the XB2. While I was out shopping for cars, I would get text messages from her that just read all the way across the screen "xb xb xb xb xb xb xb xb". I finaly went and test drove it. I like the style of it alot. The first gen definately looks good but imo is more for a young crowd. It always trips me out to see a older person driving one. To me, the XB2 is a lot more mature yet still fun to look at. I have to agree with what one person said in this thread that it does remind me of some old '40s gangster car. When I tested it and found out that it had the TC/Camry engine that was a big plus to me. Overall I was very impressed with the car and I think that my only complaint about it is the drivers armrest is a little higher then I would prefer. Everyday I have people asking me about it. This one guy even made a U-turn in crazy traffic with his whole family in his new Saturn Vue(one of the cars I was considering) just to come see my car and ask me questions.

Regarding mpg. It's a bigger, better engine. Ofcourse it's gonna consume more gas. Though to me it's still better then my last car. That was a 2.4L also but with all the mods my mpg was bad. Plus between the 1st gen and 2nd gen Xb, I don't mind sacrificing a couple of gallons in return for power.........any day!!!!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really like the ScionLife forums, but I'm tired of all the haters on the XB2. I was going to get a 2007 XB, but found out they weren't making one and almost purchased a 2006. However, I waited off and decided on getting a 2008 even though I had not seen it yet. When I first saw the 2008, I thought maybe I should of gone with the 2006, but as soon as I saw it on the lot waiting for me, it totally changed my mind. It sucks that the gas isn't as great as the original XB, but at least my new XB2 is much better than my Cadillac Deville, and Chevrolet Silverado. I'm extremely happy with my 2008, and will continue to enjoy it.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone else as confused as I am as to how on EVERY other SUV/Box shaped 'car' (including the xB1) that there are windows along the side all the way to the back? But somehow on the '08 xB, that last foot has no window. I'm just wondering how bad that blind spot is. Anyone with an '08 having problems? Or are the mirrors set well enough that it hasn't been a problem?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:34 AM
SL Member

The blind spot doesn't really exist as far as I'm concerned. It's been dramatically overstated from what I've seen. I've got 1000 miles on mine so far and outward visibility is great from where I sit.

A 2dr Rabbit/GTI (almost identical exterior dimensions) have a rather thick C-pillar and no one seems to have issues with it (and I didn't have issue with my 2003 2dr Golf either).

In all the other vehicles with the extra window in the back, how often are people *really* looking through it? In fact, allowing for interior trim parts, how usable is that extra window from the drivers' seat anyhow? I usually look through the passenger rear window when I look around. The mirrors handle the rest of teh view rather well.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:12 AM
SL Member

Just think of it this way... the wide c-pillar will allow someone to put in one of those oval opera windows... but you didn't hear it from me!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SimpleNature
Just think of it this way... the wide c-pillar will allow someone to put in one of those oval opera windows... but you didn't hear it from me!
It lends itself well to a "carriage top" treatment for someone feeling really adventurous.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hehehe. thanks for the responses. I've gotten a chance to sit in the xB, but not drive it yet. I'm doing all my researching, then I'll get around to test driving and buying at some point.

I actually complain a bit about the blind spot in the tC. I dunno if it's because of how much i rely on looking out the windows as opposed to the mirrors, or if it's just that much worse (but this is being compared to my 4-door corolla that i've driven for 7 years, and my convertible (which i almost NEVER drive with the top up, so no blind spots)
Old 07-23-2007, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the reviewer was biased - when you are comparing a new model to an older one, you have to contrast the different points about them both. I feel that he focused more on why the car is not as stellar as the gen 1 - a point which i know many gen 1 owners share.

I think this is one of many unfavorable reviews against the new xB. I am sure the ride is nicer, it's quieter, yeah, cool, it has more airbags, but, to me, it definitely lost the appeal that the gen 1's had.

if anyone is going to complain about the power of the gen 1s - if power is such an issue then go buy a mitsubishi evolution and stop putting down the xB beacuse it doesnt have 300 horse like you want it to. That's like complaining that your Hummer isn't fuel efficient...

It's an economy car but it is shaped as a truck. don't expect it to be a truck when it's not. =/////

I am not trying to flame but simply think that many of the people that dislike the gen 1 expected it to be something that it's not.

back on topic, however, i think the car-and-driver reviewer gave a very nice and well-rounded review of the revised xB - whether any of us agree with it or not. lol
Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And here's a little tune for all you gen1 xB (aka Daihatsu) drivers out there:

Trollin', trollin', trollin'.
So snide!
Hah! Hah!

Keep trollin', trollin', trollin',
Though the forums are swollen,
Keep them gen1's trollin', so snide.
Through rain and wind and weather,
Hell bent for leather,
Wishin' my B was by my side.
All the things I'm missin',
Good power, ride, and cruisin',
Aren't waiting at the end of my ride.

Drag 'em out, stir 'em up,
Bash 'em up, move 'em on.
Drag 'em out, stir 'em up:
So snide.
Put 'em out, write 'em in,
Write 'em in, put 'em out,
Put 'em out, write 'em in:
So snide!
Hah! Hah!

Movin', movin', movin',
Though we're disapprovin',
Keep them gen2's movin', so snide.
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just joke an' troll an' bash 'em.
Still we'll be bashing far and wide.
My mind's calculatin',
My true box will be waitin':
Waitin' at the end of my ride.

Drag 'em out, stir 'em up,
Bash 'em up, move 'em on.
Drag 'em out, stir 'em up:
So snide.
Put 'em out, write 'em in,
Write 'em in, put 'em out,
Put 'em out, write 'em in:
So snide!

(Trollin', trollin', trollin'.)
Hah!
Hah!
Sooooo sniiiiiiiiide.
Hah!
So snide!

(with apologies to Frankie Lane....
shoot,
for that matter, apologies to The Blues Brothers)
Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL
Thanks! I needed that!
Old 07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glock32
After seeing spy shots of the coming second generation xB, I ran out and purchased one of the last 06 xB's around. This article and a recent test drive of an 08 confirmed that I made the right choice.
That is exactly what I did and what I thought. (Do we know each other or is it another case of great minds tinking alike?)

The red one is the latest addition.

Quick Reply: New issue of Car and Driver slams the new xB