Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

NRG Hood damper help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Default NRG Hood damper help needed

Hey everybody, new member here. I have an 08XB, and my brothers recently bought me the NRG hood damper Kit. I installed it, and I hate it...The hood doesn't open as high as it used to with the stock prop rod, and when the hood is closed, it sticks up a noticeable amount. We tried all the different mounting points, only to find that this was the only one that actually worked (sort of)...I have been trying to figure out if there is a better solution, ie, drilling/tapping...does anyone out there have experience with the NRG?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No help but thanks. I was thinking of doing this mod.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you google 'issues with nrg hood dampers' there are countless threads from all different kinds of car forums. With all those issues, there are a lot of great resolutions people have come up with, try searching around.

Its hard to tell what your issue is without pictures of how you installed them.

Did you compress the dampers before the install?

I will say this though, with the NRG dampers no matter how you install them, it will never open your hood as high as the stock hood support.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by adamf2
Hey everybody, new member here. I have an 08XB, and my brothers recently bought me the NRG hood damper Kit. I installed it, and I hate it...The hood doesn't open as high as it used to with the stock prop rod, and when the hood is closed, it sticks up a noticeable amount. We tried all the different mounting points, only to find that this was the only one that actually worked (sort of)...I have been trying to figure out if there is a better solution, ie, drilling/tapping...does anyone out there have experience with the NRG?
I guess this isn't exactly helping you but I bought the hood dampers from redline tuning and they are awesome! I have had them for about 4 years or more and they still look and work great. Nrg sucks from what I have read... Oh and the ones I have go as high as it would with the stock hood prop