Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

A-pillar creak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who cares if your car creaks? I've never driven a car that didn't have a creak, or a click, or a squeak, or a rattle, or SOMETHING when you accel, stop, close door, close trunk, sit in seat, move in seat, roll down window, or SOMETHING.

You say "welding problem" when really they are probably just tacking another bead on hoping it will keep you from complaining.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zlog
Who cares if your car creaks? I've never driven a car that didn't have a creak, or a click, or a squeak, or a rattle, or SOMETHING when you accel, stop, close door, close trunk, sit in seat, move in seat, roll down window, or SOMETHING.

You say "welding problem" when really they are probably just tacking another bead on hoping it will keep you from complaining.
I care; especially if the car is brand new.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So what happens in a year when a creak forums and Toyota doesn't care?

It's going to happen.

The car is under a warrenty that keeps it running for you. Dont waste their time with a creak, turn your stereo up.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member

yup... this is my 1st brand new car to, so im a little cautious and take note of everything... and its weird when it makes a sound only when the you accelerate, brake and corner. With so many cars out there having recalls and all that, you can never be too sure even if its toyota or a honda; they can still make mistakes just like any other manufacturer out there.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's going to happen.

The car is under a warrenty that keeps it running for you. Dont waste their time with a creak, turn your stereo up.
I'll fix it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont waste their time with a creak, turn your stereo up.
This is exactly why I will never know it if my car ever develops a rattle, creak or other noise. :D
Old 07-21-2007, 04:45 PM

It's going to happen.

Excuse me, but... what are you talking about?

For a brand new anything that I spent over $20 on, I expect to be perfect or close to it for at least the first few months. Any damage or wear and tear is my fault after that.

I will opt to 'waste' the Toyota mechanics time because this is a Toyota assembly problem and, frankly, that's his job and that's what he gets paid for.

You may be more tolerant than I on these things, but the creak is audible over the stereo which I like to keep at a comfortable volume level, not one that is maintained artificially high solely to mask other sounds in my car.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't hear crap over my exhaust. Wish I would have known about this prior as I would have listened for this.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the creak. I'm just saying it does'nt bother me in the slightest.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have a picture of welding problem?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:05 PM
SL Member

Oi vei, I think I've developed the dreaded creak too. It seems to be coming from the dash area or a-pillar whenever I make a decent sized turn....

how long does the fix take for this?
Old 07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can someone describe this noise for me? Because I come from the Land of Gen 1's, and literally for years we've been trying to pin down the source of a kind of rattling vibration, most often heard in the passenger footwell.

Apparently, this was driving a fair portion of us crazy to chart and describe, since it only happened occasionally. Finally somebody came up with the description that "it sounds like a twig is stuck in my wheel cover," and the men and women rejoiced. We discussed it, troubleshot it, formed a band called "Twig Description"...but never actually SOLVED it.

I wonder if these two problems might be related.

The affected first gens do sound like a stick or something trying to bounce out of the wheel well. Actually, I'm asthmatic, and I think it sounds like the engine is trying to cough up something. Sound familiar?

Also, regarding the "turn up your music" 'advice'...not so much. I drove GM's for years, and a squeak is often your first - and only - indication that the car is planning to jettison a major part 30,000 miles from now. As they say, "A stitch in time saves the embarrassment of having your doors fall off in the Arby's parking lot."
Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
SL Member

mine sounds like a low neutral ticking creak, nearly the same loudness as the turn signal (as it usually happens when i am signalling and turning it makes for a good comparison).... seems like its something with how the dash is meeting the chassis or something. I'm going to call the dealer this weekend to have them look into it.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 AM
SL Member

I have a test for all of you with noise that is not directly related to body torsion but more like the noise in the right hand side of the dash...

Turn off you AC... let it sit for a while... and drive it again without ever turning on the AC and see if the noise goes away.

Mine went from a constant annoying 'rattle' to nothing... absolutely nothing, when the AC was turned off.

And yes, this is my second '08 xB with the exact same noise.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine has the ticky creak as i said before, it seems to be located in the front-passenger side pillar between the windshield and the passenger door.

/shrug i still just turn the music up. If it gets worse i'll have them look at it at my 5k. While my wife was driving i seemed to figure out that it sounds like it might just be the plastic panel rubbing on the dash plastic a bit.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:29 AM
SL Member
Scion Evolution

My noise from that area def. seems like some plastic rattle/creek noise. If I push against the dash with some pressure while it is making this noise it does go away.

In response to the person about the use of the AC. Mine does seem to follow that theory also. After work when I am using the AC on the way home it seems to rattle/creek much more than normal once the AC is on and blowing. I am assuming mine is not a weld issue and is some interior plastic either loose, or rubbing against eachother.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To shed some light to this problem.

Had my car looked at by an expert in auto body repair. They tore apart the whole left side of the car to find the problem. I could not take the creaking anymore!!!!!!!!

This is what they found. Weld problems and failiure in the lower A-pillar area caused by stress. This develops at around 700-1000 miles, depending on road driving and terrain.

THEY COULD NOT FIX IT.

Spoke to dealer service manager .

THIS IS A MAJOR ENG. DEFECT I BELIEVE. GOT NO HELP FROM SCION ON THIS

THIS IS HOW TO TEST IT.

OPEN DRIVERS DOOR.

HAVE SOME PUT THEIR EAR TO THE OUTSIDE A-PILLAR WHILE SOMEONE ELSE MOVES THE DRIVERS DOOR UP AND DOWN. LIFT THE DOOR FROM THE BOTTOM UP AND YOU WILL HEAR IT.

CONCLUSION, NO MORE SCION XB, gone.. no more Scion, no more Toyota for me. Their quality is going down for sure RUSHING CARS TO MARKET TO SOON. While I like the new XB, there are changes that I think are needed.

PS, the 4 speed trans has gotta go and the car runs super hot too.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CheapChickenLittle
THE SKY IS FALLING. THE SKY IS FALLING.

Got any pics of these failed welds?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh, all manufacturers will have issues with their car. You bought a $15,000 car. Not a 100,000 BMW. Stuff like this will happen. If your in an accident and the piller fails, jus get a lawyer
Old 07-26-2007, 01:16 PM
SL Member

My $20,000 xB is just now 13 days old, about 475 miles. It was manufactured 05/07.

-Until this morning, I was sure glad MINE did not have the described "A-pillar creak". This morning, it has revealed itself. Coming from the area behind the far left AC vent, it seems to be evident on gentle acceleration, and on sweeping right turns (over slight pavement irregularities in the city streets).

-"Creaking" is the best description.Sure hope Toyota monitors this site, and will have a fix by the time of my first 5000 mile service.

Quick Reply: A-pillar creak?