Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

A-pillar creak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM

Just checked Toyota's Database for any information on this (aka TSB's). None found.

I will speak to a Field Engineer today and see if he has any information, then report back.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by golfbiz
Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
Based on this and having owned 2 Scions in my life, I arrived at 2 conclusions:
1) Never buy a 1st year production car
then why you are on the 1st production year board for the xB if you have no interest in buying the new xB, other than just trolling around to say "I told you so"
What a

I saw this on the front page and was amused. Do I go into the 2nd Gen forum to find topics? No. Because I dont like the 2nd Gen. But I thought I would let the people know that neither Scion nor Toyo will fix this problem. My post is more than relevant; if you feel upset by what I wrote, then you are just upset because what I wrote was the truth and you have to live with it...

The latter part of this discussion arrived at welding. Some people even had Scion dealerships re-weld their tC hatch. Did it fix the problem? Nope.

Good luck to everyone besides the up there...
Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM

I saw this on the front page and was amused. Do I go into the 2nd Gen forum to find topics? No. Because I dont like the 2nd Gen. But I thought I would let the people know that neither Scion nor Toyo will fix this problem. My post is more than relevant; if you feel upset by what I wrote, then you are just upset because what I wrote was the truth and you have to live with it...
Good luck to everyone besides the up there...
I'm sure anyone with the new xB with a rattle is happy you are so amused with their problem and that they just have to live with it and not your problem because you are so wise......now that is the true definition of a

Do I go into the 2nd Gen forum to find topics? No.
wrong - here is your quote chastising a poster for not doing a search on yes a 2nd Gen forum.....
Originally Posted by L4rry_B1rd
please learn to use the function at the top of the page...

Its not like there is thousands of threads to comb thru to find the info you need since the xB2 was just released a few months ago. Simple found this:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=speaker+size
Old 08-14-2007, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow that guy was a tool.

Never mind the fact that a bit of egg-crate-foam (like what you pack a camera in) wedged down there is probably a complete fix. I think everyone, myself included, is just too lazy. if not a bit nervous about there being an airbag behind it. I'll be talking with my buddy who is head of the Toyota/Scion maintenance dept at one of the dealerships by me, I'll see what he says.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:15 PM

^ I am said buddy.

We commonly use a felt tape to apply to contact points between plastic components to keep them from making noise.

I'm still waiting to speak to the Field Engineer. Hang tight.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think i have a super smalllllllll rattle and i'm at 3600 miles..if it gets worse i'll take it in or if toyota does a service bulletin
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hate to bring this thread up again....
but Im at 900 Miles now and my A-Pillar Creak is all of a sudden MUCH louder!....
grrrr
Old 08-17-2007, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member

Default a pillar creak.

OK, sorry for the late post. I got my car back about week and a half ago. To summarise, they opened up the dashboard looking for the problem. They tracked the problem down to the fender (driver side). There was some part of the fender rubbing. (sorry no pics, they fixed it all up before I got there) They got a fix from Scion California (HQ???) and it involves a "punch" so instead of the metal rubbing it's held together by the bumped metal. Apologies for incorrect terminology, this is how I remembered the explanation! I have their worksheet somewhere in the car, I could dig it out if people want more details.
So it was not dangerous, not a weld failure but in the process of this fix, they loosened something else maybe a wire in the dash and now that rattles with every bump! Also the fender clips were not replaced properly. If anyone else gets this done, make sure you check the car out thoroughly after the fix.

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Re: a pillar creak.

Ahhh, MCGong had told me that he too had the fix done at the fender. They had left a screw out on his driver's side mat and he was able to trace it to the fender. He brought it in to Scion in Tustin, I believe.

I'm hoping that is what it is because mine seems to have become more prevalent -- louder and more often.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had an extremely small "plastic on plastic" squeek when I first picked up my xB. It was the dash pad rubbing on the passenger A-pillar. For the first week I drove it, I did't have a stereo, so it sort of drove me nuts - I'm **** about noises..!!! Anyway, after having the dash top pulled off for the NAV install, the noise is gone. The dash must have resettled in a slightly different spot - and now no noise.

Considering how loud all of my other modified vehicles are, riding in this thing, is like riding in a isolation chamber to me - could hear a pin drop.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 AM
SL Member

I think were are having Alien abductions... or maybe Scion's hit squad!
Every time someone says they'll get back to us, they disappear!... vanish from the earth (read: forum)
Old 08-21-2007, 03:43 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jayman
^ I am said buddy.

We commonly use a felt tape to apply to contact points between plastic components to keep them from making noise.

I'm still waiting to speak to the Field Engineer. Hang tight.
Hey Jayman... did Beaverton Toyota do all the mods on your car? I think I saw your's sitting there when I bought mine.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

!#@&#@!$

So, this morning i notice my passenger side A pillar being, um, LOUD. Sounds like it's just the dash rubbing somewhere. Bah. Had the car for 3 weeks, and 1500 miles. That didn't last long. I'll have to play some see if it goes away itself, or what i can do about it. 90% of the time i drive i'd never notice though, windows down system up type deal.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM
SL Member

I too have the clicky squeak on the passenfer side pillar. Yeah I think it's the dash rubbing.. I haven't had time to look at it fully. Might mention in when I get my first service. Or maybe a sqirt of wD40 on the joint to stop it squeaking...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it happens to be the fender that's making the noise, would they "void" the warranty because I installed the ballast of my HIDs behind the headlight... which is somewhat next to the fender?

Did anyone of you experience a rattle on the headliner? I traced it down to the headliner because when I put pressure onto the headliner while driving, the sound goes away. I'm not sure how I can take that apart, I'll probably tell them when I go for my first oil change.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member

I picked up a new Xb on Saturday and took it in today for the the alloy wheels and alarm. Not 2 minutes after leaving I have a creak on the driver side when I accelerate and when I brake. I also have a click from the passenger side dash board. Not that I mind a little noise but it is brand new. Taking back to West Covina again on monday hopefully to get fixed.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slim1977
I picked up a new Xb on Saturday and took it in today for the the alloy wheels and alarm. Not 2 minutes after leaving I have a creak on the driver side when I accelerate and when I brake. I also have a click from the passenger side dash board. Not that I mind a little noise but it is brand new. Taking back to West Covina again on monday hopefully to get fixed.
Thats exactly what mine sounds like, a click or a tappity tap tap. i also have a squeek. They're seperate and distinct. i dont have any loud clunk or creak though. they both come when i go over basically anything. sometimes they're together, sometimes seperate. At first i thought it was all of my sweet RX-7 toy cars i have sitting on the shelf above the glovebox, but i took them off and totally emptied the glovebox and the noise persisted. If it was just over huge bumps i wouldnt care, but every crack causes the noise and it drives me crazy. seems like something is just ever so slightly tapping or clicking against something else whenever it shakes.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just start noticing my rattle like three days ago, driver's side A-Pillar. Definately sounds like the dash plastics rubbing somewhere, but it still is slightly annoying, IF the radio is off. Otherwise I don't hear it, its quite quiet (so far).

I will probably bring it up to my dealer when I go for my 5k checkup. I have 2,000 miles on it and have had it for six weeks.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by NOPR
If it was just over huge bumps i wouldnt care, but every crack causes the noise and it drives me crazy. seems like something is just ever so slightly tapping or clicking against something else whenever it shakes.
Double check that your Ipod cable is not dangling and making noise.
That solved one of my noise mysteries...
Old 10-09-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone recently have the problem or got it fixed?

Quick Reply: A-pillar creak?