Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Replacement Key

Seriously? It costs $200 - $300 to replace a programmable remote entry key? ... the 2008 version with the remote on the key head? WTF?

I called seven locksmiths and two dealers. That blows!

Just sayin'...

Ronnie
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

hey if you owned a business you would charge as much as you can get away with too, right? just sayin!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Don't lose your keys?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

buy a blank on ebay, take it to home depot, program yourself.

cook bacon, drink a beer, profit.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

I bought the $34 one off eBay. Then took it to local hardware store had them cut it. Then programmed the remote part and now I have 3 full key fobs and made 2 generic blanks for when I run or bike, so don't have the huge key fob in pocket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-TO...item2a12ea385a
Old 10-11-2012, 02:39 AM

ebay only man just make sure u get the right key! i did it to switch my scion to a toyota key
Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

even if you buy that blank key off ebay your still going to have to take it to the dealership to get it programmed otherwise it wont start the engine do to the immobilizer in the car and there is no way around that so you might as well just let them program the keyless entry too.
i know at the dealership i work at we charge around 150 i think for the key and then 100 bucks to program it so you might as well buy two keys that way you only have to pay 100 bucks to program them all
Old 10-11-2012, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^100% wrong.

I have 2 ebay keys, which I programmed myself, per a step by step on this very forum.

It IS hard to convince a place to cut your key, as there isn't actually an "immobilizer chip" in the key, just a remote. Home depot/lowes flat out refused me, I had to sweet talk a woman at wally world into doing it, but I only paid $5 to get it made.

Still works perfectly.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member

Well the 2008 model XB's do not have the immobilizer on the car, so you can cut any generic key and it will work opening the door and starting the vehicle, I should know as I have bought 2 generic ones and one key fob from ebay.....haha. Now to programing the key fob, you just need to go thru a few ridiculous steps and you are good.

Yes I agree with Roller too, as some places arent sure, I just told them to cut it as it has no immoblizer in it. They were also afraid to cut a Key Fob as if they mess it up, you are out the cash, I told them I didnt care as it was only 37$ and to cut it, costing me 2.50$ lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i didn't realize that this didn't have the immobilizer in it so then yeah any key will work. all the scion vehicles are different when it comes to some of that stuff
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think all the 2008-2012 XB have immobilizer chips. I have a 2011 and it does not have the chip.

I think the ones that had the chip came from the factory with the security package(alarm) but I could be wrong.

On the 2011's you cannot program the transmitter without taking it to Toyota or some other place that can do it. The instructions for programing the 2010 and previous don't work.

I got tired of that big assed key/remote combo poking me so what I did was go on to eBay and bought a already cut key/remote combo from a RAV4 and took it to Toyota and had that remote programmed to my car(you can have up to 5 remotes). I then used a dremel to cut the key part off the remote and put the remote in a protective skin that you can get at any dealership. I then had them cut a vintage Toyota TR-47 with the name TOYOTA on the key instead of that weird cow looking symbol that is on all their cars since 1992(I got a set of 5 from eBay). This setup looks better to me on my keyring then the fob.

Heres a pic of the key and remote:

Name:  IMG-20120420-00301.jpg
Views: 7556
Size:  184.2 KB

If you want to buy a remote off of eBay remember it needs to have the following on the case
FCC ID : HYQ12BBY
IC ID: 1551A-12BBY

12BBY DENSO

If it does not have these numbers on the remote then the remote will not work with the XB. Toyota remotes all look the same now, you need the seller to confirm these numbers
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lots of info here. Called 7 places and none could confirm the FCC or IC identifiers above. So, at the end of the day, can you just use a blank that will open the door manually and will it start the car or not?

If so, I'll just get a blank (wherever the hell that is), have it cut and call it a day.

Ronnie
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes those ID numbers I gave you in my last post are only for the remote part. It has no effect on the key part.

All you need is a TR-47(metal) or TR-47P(plastic head) key blank. Which is sold by hardware stores and dealerships or eBay. The dealership is the best way to get the key right as they get the key number(5 or 6 digit number) from the VIN. I had a metal key made at the local Toyota Dealer before i got those old keys on eBay and they charged me $7 for the all metal key(had that Toyota cow headed symbol on it). The cost for the plastic headed ones were $12. Not cheap but not super expensive ether. I found the local hardware store(mom and pop store) had them for $3 for the metal ones. Just look for a ilco TR-47 metal key blank and your good to go.

as for the if it starts the car, mine did but i did not have the factory alarm. so buy a cheap key and try it
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member

The link posted will work with the 2008-2011 model XB. I know this for a fact as I have bought 3 different ones from the seller for 3 different years. I was able to get them cut and program them fine.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem solved. Took journeyforce's advice, went to Sears, had them cut me a TR-47PH (Plastic Head). It unlocks the door and starts the car. Locked it up with the remote (double clicked) to see if the key would set off the alarm. Unlocked the door with the key, started right up, no alarm. Cost: $5.30.

Thanks, y'all.

Ronnie
Old 10-23-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
^100% wrong.

I have 2 ebay keys, which I programmed myself, per a step by step on this very forum.

It IS hard to convince a place to cut your key, as there isn't actually an "immobilizer chip" in the key, just a remote. Home depot/lowes flat out refused me, I had to sweet talk a woman at wally world into doing it, but I only paid $5 to get it made.

Still works perfectly.
Can you provide a link to that step-by-step to program the remote? I searched and can't find it. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member

This worked for the keys I programmed.

Programming
Driver's Door/All Doors Unlock Selection

The xA Security with RKE is factory-set to unlock the driver's door when the UNLOCK button is pressed on the remote control, then unlock the remaining doors when the UNLOCK button is pressed again within 3 seconds. You may change the programming so all doors will unlock at once when the UNLOCK button is pressed by following the steps below:
1. Before you begin: Open the driver's door. Remove the key from the ignition switch

2. Start the programming Procedure (Complete all these steps within 40 seconds)
A. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 2 times
B. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times
C. Insert the key into and remove it from the ignition switch 1 time
D. Close, then open the driver's door 2 times.
E. Insert the key into the ignition and leave it in.
F. Close the driver's door
G. Turn the key from LOCK to ON 4 times (ending at LOCK)
H. Remove the key from the ignition switch.
I. (Program mode Confirmation; you did everything correctly) The tail and marker lights flash 4 times, the buzzer chirps 4 times, and the doors lock and unlock 4 times

3. Select the operating mode and complete the programming procedure
A. Press and release both LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time.
B. TO ENABLE ALL DOORS UNLOCK Press and release the UNLOCK button once for all doors unlock

OR

TO DISABLE FEATURE Press and release the LOCK button once for driver's door unlock only

C. The tail and marker lights flash 1time, the buzzer chirps 1 time, and the doors lock and unlock 1 time
Note: if the system lock the doors twice, start over.

E. Open the driver's door; programming is now complete

This took me 3-4 tries to do correctly. . . it DOES work.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Replacement Key Issue

OK, i'm trying to get a replacement key for the one my son lost. I have a 2013 FRS. I bought a blank on eBay. Took it to the dealer and it would only program to unlock the doors. I bought one from a remote company online. Same issue. It will not activate the immobilizer.

Is there no way to buy a replacement key that will actually unlock the doors and start the car without paying $300+ from the dealer?

Thanks