Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Rough Engine Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rough Engine Start Question

We moved into a new home about a month ago & it has a driveway that is not very steep but has a small incline. Our old home had a normal driveway and I was able to pull in forward & start the car without any issue. In our new home the first few times I would go to start the car it seemed to have a rough start. It started but almost felt rough. Is it possible that maybe the incline causes the oil level to seep further back into the pan causing this problem? We began backing the car into the driveway & the problem ceased. I didn't want to chance messing something up so I feel like that solved the problem by backing the car in. Has anyone with a XB2 dealt with this issue before or have an idea of why it would do that? Gracias.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much incline are we talking about? Just a few degrees shouldn't have an affect on the oil supply. I usually associate rough idle with fuel, spark, or air flow. Since the fuel is under pressure, I wouldn't expect an incline to make a difference (unless pressure is slow building, the gas tank is higher when backed up an incline), the electrical system doesn't care at all as long as the timing isn't being thrown off, air flow should just depend on filter condition. My best guess would be it's fuel related. How quickly does the roughness go away?

PS. How many miles on your fuel filter?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member

It's a 11 Xb so only 55k miles. The incline isn't that steep looks like a regular driveway from the street but steeper than where we use to live. The air filter is a brand new K&N drop in. The roughness is only on the engine start when I go to turn the key, almost feels like a rough start when it is smooth any other time. I park it in reverse and never have the issue. I guess it reminds me of how when you park and put the car in drive and the shifter pops a little like a rough pop I read somewhere it has to do with fluid draining back? For an auto transmission.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My best guess is your fuel filter is slowing the build of pressure at the injectors (needs replacing). A related guess would be the fuel pump is delivering less than spec pressure. Really don't see how oil or spark could cause this. Are the spark plugs keeping clean?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member

Not sure about the plugs, I will be taking it to Toyota at the 60k mark to do the full run down on the car. I will have them check that out, I'm a little surprised to think that could be an issue with the plugs & filter the car is fairly new. Thanks for the input though really appreciate it.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GROC80
Not sure about the plugs, I will be taking it to Toyota at the 60k mark to do the full run down on the car. I will have them check that out, I'm a little surprised to think that could be an issue with the plugs & filter the car is fairly new. Thanks for the input though really appreciate it.
Not blaming the plugs, just trying to find a way to explain your symptoms. To me, a fuel delivery issue is the most likely explanation, certainly more likely than oil level tilt in the pan. In any case, good luck with it !
Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it is more of a hiccup than rough start.. mine would do it either front or rear parked. When I turn the key it will hiccup like a split second but that's it. I have a K&N drop in as well. Nothing I would worry about.