Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Scion Says Goodbye To xB With 686 Parklan Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JTMAG1
I got an unexpected package in the mail today from Scion. A custom Shiftknob, a brown beanie to match teh car with a 686 tag and a $200 discount card for the cargo box as well as another %50 card for 686 apparel that is good for $1000/mo at 686 Technical Apparel - Pants, Jackets & Outerwear | 686

Its nice of Scion to throw in the extras.
That's nice of them to do that but for non-parklan owners, that cargo box is still hella pricey! $1,500 (after $200 discount) for the box and mounting hardware is steep to a cheap guy like me. im still looking on craigslist for a similar 'low profile' box that i can get for a couple hundred
Old 03-29-2016, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by JTMAG1
I got an unexpected package in the mail today from Scion. A custom Shiftknob, a brown beanie to match teh car with a 686 tag and a $200 discount card for the cargo box as well as another %50 card for 686 apparel that is good for $1000/mo at 686 Technical Apparel - Pants, Jackets & Outerwear | 686

Its nice of Scion to throw in the extras.
Plus 1

Got my package today. It must have been mail the swag week. DW had my back when we made the decision to keep the budget under $50k for a sporty fun to drive ride that could also haul a couple three Irish Wolfhounds (170 Lbs each) or my Rock Band equipment to a gig. We ended up buying two cars the same day in Jan 2016. A 686 Parklan for the practical, and a 2015 Mazda MX-5 PRHT for the top down twisty fun side. Stayed under budget, used other people's money for both (Zero down, 1.9%) DW appears to believe the Miata is hers and the Xb is "mine" Working as planned!?!

I ordered some abstract black pattern towels to simply cover the camo seats. The back seats are permanent folded down with pads and a complimentary blanket for the dogs/equipment. The only options were the bespoke radio, lowering springs, and a rear bumper cover.

I've been wearing the free 686 beanie all day. DW can't stop laughing. You'd have to be here. I'm not especially young. Get me a shopping cart and well you know the rest...

The Cocoa Bean Metallic is beautiful, closer the better. All kinds of other colors show thru when you get near it. Reds, blues, etc. Fantastic. Love the Black wheels, main reason I picked it. Had to get local dealer to go to another dealer 75mi away to pick mine up and drive it back to my town. Pure pricing meant price was same. I really like my little brown Way Cool Cargo Van.

Last edited by JonnyM; 04-01-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:39 AM
SL Member

Bought a 686 off the showroom floor tonight!

What mods won't void factory warranty? Just wanted to lower it a bit, maybe a strut bar, intake and exhaust?

I got the extended warranty so don't want to void it.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by spongebox125
Bought a 686 off the showroom floor tonight!

What mods won't void factory warranty? Just wanted to lower it a bit, maybe a strut bar, intake and exhaust?

I got the extended warranty so don't want to void it.
TRD makes everything you want and it wont void your warranty.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:20 AM
SL Member

I figured the TRD stuff was going to be the answer. Dealer installed too I'm sure which means expensive. LoL
Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know why or how people still believe that malarkey that aftermarket parts void manufacturers warranties...they don't...and if the dealership says they do, they are flat out lying to you...now, with that said, slamming your xB on the ground with coilovers then expecting the dealership to replace your thrashed axles, uh uh, that aint gonna happen...but yeah, just because you have lowering springs and aftermarket wheels doesn't mean they wont fix your car if it's under warranty, like if you try and get the motor fixed for consuming too much oil....a dealership trying to deny you the oil consumption warranty because you have aftermarket wheels just wont fly...
Old 04-01-2016, 11:33 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by spongebox125
I figured the TRD stuff was going to be the answer. Dealer installed too I'm sure which means expensive. LoL
These cars are built like legos, you can install everything except the TRD LSD yourself. I think the only difference is if it's not dealer installed it, the TRD part only has a 1 year warranty, not 3/36k like your bumper to bumper.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you're aftermarket new/"nervous", TRD parts are especially for you. They get the job done, Toyota-warrantied whether self- or dealer-installed; without only the continuing lower drop of other after market springs, coil-overs, or air.
I've been running TRD lowering (~10% stiffer) springs, rear sway bar, front strut brace and Quik-Shift (manual) linkage on my 2012 since just after drive-out for 3-12 years and, though honestly while I wish I was ~1" lower VISUALLY, never regretted decision based on everyday street driving performance/convenience/reliability.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GDubya
If you're aftermarket new/"nervous", TRD parts are especially for you. They get the job done, Toyota-warrantied whether self- or dealer-installed; without only the continuing lower drop of other after market springs, coil-overs, or air.
I've been running TRD lowering (~10% stiffer) springs, rear sway bar, front strut brace and Quik-Shift (manual) linkage on my 2012 since just after drive-out for 3-12 years and, though honestly while I wish I was ~1" lower VISUALLY, never regretted decision based on everyday street driving performance/convenience/reliability.
and this is exactly why I bought the Eibach Prokit for my new-to-me xB....while the world screams for me to go lower, to me the xB still looks great on TRDs and Prokits...and I don't want to be crawling over speed bumps and creeping up driveways...Im too old for that schit anymore
Old 06-06-2016, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was in Las Vegas last week for work and was surprised to see a Parklan XB being used as an Uber car. I saw the same xB on the strip a couple times through the week with the same driver, and that big light-up U on the front windshield.

LV has been using the XB as cabs for years. This trip, I saw probably 50 regular 2013-2015 Xb's (some white, some yellow) being used as cabs but it was funny/odd to see the limited edition, "last of the xbs" Parklan being used for a similar service :D

Last edited by midtowndesi; 06-06-2016 at 12:59 PM.