Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ticking Noise When Taking Off

Hi All,

Background:
I turn the car on, back out of a parking spot or a driveway, and put the car into drive. Right when I start taking off (regular drive, not aggressive), I hear a ticking noise coming from the front. It's about 7 ticks in about 2 seconds. After that, it doesn't tick again until I park the car and leave it for about 20 minutes.

Troubleshooting:
It doesn't seem to have a correlation if I take of slowly or quickly, still the same 7 ticks in 2 seconds. Specifically, I put the car into Drive, don't touch the gas nor brake, and it just rolls forward, making the same ticking noise.

If you park, turn the car off, and immediately try to reproduce the noise, it doesn't happen. The car needs to sit for about 20 minutes before it makes the noise.

I've tried to listen for this to determine where it's coming from, but no luck. All I can tell is it's from the front.

I've never driven this car hard, never hit pot holes or anything. In fact, I drive this car granny style.

Has anyone experienced this?

Below is some information that may or may not help with troubleshooting:

2009 xB2
Base Model
Automatic Transmission
Noticed ticking ~6500 mi.
Currently ~9000 mi.

Thanks in advance,

Slow.

......where's the spell check button?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it possible that it is the vsc/traction controll systems running it's "boot up" checks?
In the Gen 1's it's common to hear a tick or pop coming from the front end on initial take off after they have been sitting a while, it's even mentioned in the owners manual.. not to sure if the gen 2's experience this or not though..
Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
is it possible that it is the vsc/traction controll systems running it's "boot up" checks?
In the Gen 1's it's common to hear a tick or pop coming from the front end on initial take off after they have been sitting a while, it's even mentioned in the owners manual.. not to sure if the gen 2's experience this or not though..
Well, as much as I want to agree with you, what wouldn't make sense in that is the car should run that "diagnostic" every time the car turns out. As I mentioned in my original post, it only makes these noises after a few minutes of being turned off. If after 5 minutes I turn the car back on, take off... the problem doesn't seem to exist.

K
Old 03-15-2009, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same noise. its the relays clicking for the vcs/stability control. it happens the same way you said. but, i can reproduce it if i turn off the car, start it again, go in reverse and then forward. mine is a stick though, and i drive the bejesus out of mine. its just the vcs/abs/stability control sys turning itself on. no biggie...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitebreadbox
i have the same noise. its the relays clicking for the vcs/stability control. it happens the same way you said. but, i can reproduce it if i turn off the car, start it again, go in reverse and then forward. mine is a stick though, and i drive the bejesus out of mine. its just the vcs/abs/stability control sys turning itself on. no biggie...
Dang, that's not cool! Based on what you're telling me, I guess it's time to worry if I don't hear it anymore? It makes the car seem so cheapy.

Just curious, how were you able to determine that it was VCS/ABS/Stablilty?

K
Old 03-17-2009, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

It's a VSC/ABS test. It does it every time you start your car and begin to drive. It's all in the manual.

I know it's not "cool" to read the manual because we all think we're "man enough" to not read it. But with the complexity of these newer cars, it's really a necessity. You should seriously go read it now, then you won't need to ask questions you already have the answers for in your glove box.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i thought it was a turbine getting started :p

the 1st gen xB's do that too. my friends 94 Lumina Z34 did the same. some are more noticeable then others.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xBones
READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL.

It's a VSC/ABS test. It does it every time you start your car and begin to drive. It's all in the manual.

I know it's not "cool" to read the manual because we all think we're "man enough" to not read it. But with the complexity of these newer cars, it's really a necessity. You should seriously go read it now, then you won't need to ask questions you already have the answers for in your glove box.
I totally agree with what you are saying. Honestly, I didn't look as closely as I should. Prior to this post, I briefly scanned the manual, but didnt' pick out anything like this.

Thanks for the 411.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That has happended to me too when I start to move out of a spot with the wheels cut to one side. Now, I don't turn the wheel as much when starting to move the car out of a parking space and I don't hear it anymore.