Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Under $3000

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The breaks on the xB don't suck. An xB is made for normal everyday driving, you really shouldn't going that fast around corners anyway. Why? because it's one of the least aerodynamic cars out there. I don't see why you would have to speed up around corners.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
The brakes on our cars "suck" for who? The target market, or someone who wants to race an econobox? The brakes on mine are solid, but I just drive, no drifting involved -- they stop plenty good in normal traffic situations.

Let's be real, Toyota doesn't sell the xB setup for racing. If that's your intention, then recognize up front that you're going to have to spend more than some $16K odd to get there!
Yea I know? But thats why I would buy brakes. Couple turns and the brakes are rendered useless from overheating. Thats why I would spend the 500 dollars to get front and rear rotors pads and lines just to have some fun weekend driving
Old 06-29-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mikey_Boy
The breaks on the xB don't suck. An xB is made for normal everyday driving, you really shouldn't going that fast around corners anyway. Why? because it's one of the least aerodynamic cars out there. I don't see why you would have to speed up around corners.
As my car sits right now with just tires and wheels it handles better then my 3000gt did what it had wheels and lowering springs around corners near my house. I live in the boondocks basically with lots of fun roads to drive. If it wasn't for the brakes I would love to go out driving in it. But after a few turns you get to worried about going any sort of speed to enter into a corner. I know we have a basic car, but that doesn't mean the car can't be fun with just a few mods to make ti brake and handle well
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emrules2001
$450 for a Pioneer AVH P4200, find a deal on here or craigslist for a nice amp/sub combo for about 300-400, or go with maybe 200 for a sub/amp, and another 2-300 for speakers and an amp.
You can get refurbished ones off ebay for around 300 or so depending on the times you look. I got 2 pioneer shalow 12s and a class D 500 watt rms amp for 350. Then maybe around 40 bucks to build the box. If you use ebay you can get everything brand new or refurbished with a 2 year warrenty for cheap as hell. The amp I got is high quailty to. Alpine v-power class D
Old 06-29-2010, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pasquale
Slooooooow down man lol... take it from me don't go to fast because the deals are out there. I learned the hard way. Make some contacts... there are deals to be had.
I own a company that makes steel braided brake lines. I can make you some braided brake lines that you will be able to feel after installing. I've made them for the whole spectrum of scions and they're are DOT approved and Test for leaks and imperfections. I thought I might throw the offer out there. PM me I'll my fellow Gen2'ers up ;)
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM

The Alpine HU makes a decent starting point for a good system. One of the first mods that i did was to replace the el cheapo Pioneer speaker that came with all xB's and replaced them with Focal 165A1 components in the front door (about $275 insalled). It made all the difference in the world!!! Plans call for Focal 165 CA1's in the rear doors and a JL Audio 4 channel amp. Also on tap is the JL stealth box sub. I talked to JL and they said that the Stealbox for the 2008-10 xB does not fit the 2011. Hopefully it won't be long before they come out with a Stealthbox that will fit the 2011's.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Thumbs up

Tedwash,

Originally Posted by tedwash
. . . replaced them with Focal 165A1 components in the front door (about $275 insalled). It made all the difference in the world!!! .
Did you need to add the amp to hear the difference? I would like to do a speaker upgrade and I know Focal's are sweeeeet sounding. Thanks for comments.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 PM

The Focal's are more efficient than the stock Pioneers. I am more into Sound Quality than Sound Pressure Levels. The difference was immediately noticeable. The mid-bass was more pronounced and the highs were not shrill. I think that the Alpine is rated at 50w/ch. Unless you are into window shaking bass, you should be OK until you complete some of those other mods on your list. If your are like me and spend a fair amount of time in your car and love music, replacing the stock speakers are one of the best bangs for your buck.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:30 AM

Tedwash, your right adding speakers makes it sound like a real stereo! The difference is Night and Day!! The stock speakers were crap like an old am radio compared to sound I hear out of the new speakers. I will be waiting awhile for sub as I think I have spent enough to get me through the summer...unless and absolutely killer deal comes my way. . .
Old 07-02-2010, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That's a nice list of parts you got listed and bought! Sounds to be like a good start. You got a little left over to the $3k mark, get a sway bar package!!
-Joe
Old 07-07-2010, 03:02 AM

Default Phase 1 Completed

Today the last part of my order came: Konig Airstrikes 18x8s Wrapped in Yokahamas.
Attached Thumbnails Under 00-phase-1-complete.jpg