Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Went to the Dealer yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:40 PM

Default Went to the Dealer yesterday...

So the hubby and I drove out to Hoselton Toyota/Scion in Rochester (NY) yesterday to test drive the xB. We loved it, was a nice smooth ride. So we go back to the dealership after the drive and decided that we definitely wanted to get the xB.

We had a 2002 Mazda Protege LX to trade in with only 44k miles on it. Broke 44 on the drive up. I had done my research and brought tons of other print outs of what the dealers in our area were selling our car for, had the KBB trade-in value with me as well (listed for 4.5k). Our car is in good condition and I cleaned the hell out of it before we took it up.

Anyway the salesman goes and gives our vehicle info to some guy who looks up our car online, auction sites, etc. So about 5 minutes later he comes back with paper in-hand and I can see the number he had right through the back because he wrote it on with marker LOL. It said 3500. So I wait for him to do the usual pitch and hubby and I were both like sorry no our car is worth more than that. So then I show him the KBB trade-in value paper. He acted like we were never gonna get the KBB price and told us that 4.5k would be a push. We were determined to have our loan payed off (we bought the car used 2 years ago) still owed 5.3k on it. We were like ok well thanks anyway but we need more than what you are offering. So he says ok give me a minute.

He comes back with a paper of Mazda Protege's and what they are being bought for at auctions (around 2k). Now this guy must of thought we were stupid or something, because the print out he had none of the cars had under 90k miles, and condition of the vehicles wasn't listed. I pointed that out to him and we stood firm. He then excused himself for a minute again.

He comes back about 5 minutes later and says that they are willing to talk about going up to the 4.5k range because are car is in really good condition (he mentioned the good condition of the car a few times in our conversations).

My hubby said no. We want 5.3k to pay off the loan or no deal. We start putting our coats and stuff back on. Hubby says to the salesman that he will just go from dealership to dealership til he finds the one that will give us what we want. So we start to get up to leave and he asks if we can wait another few minutes and he takes our car to the main building to have someone else take a look and see what they can do. So they take the car over, come back and the guy said alright you have a deal.
So we got our loan paid off.

We then get taken in to the office of the business manager. BTW we had a draft check from Navy Federal Credit Union ready to go. He tells us that they don't accept drafts because of some bulls**t reasons and then proceeds to try and get us to finance through them. So at that point I just told him alright nevermind and that we will go somewhere else. He then asks me to wait a minute and goes and talks to someone supposedly.

The guy comes back and says alright unbeknownst to him they ONLY except 1 draft and that it was Navy Federal drafts. LOL! I rolled my eyes in my mind! We move on anyway from there we go over the usual buy more crap please routine. Only thing we added was some Anti-theft window etching because we get a decent discount from our insurance for it.

So then we waited for them to service the car. Took awhile . Then they pulled it out front for us and went over the features with us. After that we made the long trip back home! We are now the proud owners of an '09 SW xB!!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the new car! I kinda like SW xB2's
Old 01-24-2009, 06:07 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great story
Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A good example of how research, documentation, and a strong front can get you what YOU want from a dealer.

Also note: Excellent time to buy, they are almost giving cars away right now.

Welcome
Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice. congrats on the car purchase.

a lot of my friends do the "fax attack" method. hehe. getting a car close to or under invoice is always great ;)
Old 01-24-2009, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellant writing a good read... congratulations on your new XB
Old 01-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Thanks all! I can't wait until we have some extra cash for the wheels and tires we want! We aren't going to go crazy with mods just a few cosmetic add-ons.

1.) Wheels and Tires
2.) Spoiler
3.) Vent Visors

Going to have to get a decent security system w/ remote start as well. We will most likely get a Viper, not sure what model yet.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice job
Old 01-24-2009, 11:26 PM

Your husband sounds like a genius. I wish I was him.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Good on you guys for some serious haggling. Thats how you get it done.

Dealerships need to make sales, so take that for granted. The times were in now not many people are buying new any more.

Congrats on your purchase... we got our xb last week. :D
Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great job. Only suggestion I have is to keep your keys and give them a spare to the car. That way you CAN drive off. Helps to visit the dealer a vew times and play phone tag with the rep.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrads on the car....and great job with getting what you want....