Notices

help on supension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any one know where i can find the best prices for the following parts?

1. trd shocks and springs
2. ebiac pro kit and sport line
3. tanabe nf210
4. hotchkis springs and sway bar
Old 04-29-2008, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

for the TRD stuff ... trdsparks.com is about the best ... they even have the hotchkis stuff ...
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've been looking around for quite a while now and still haven't been able to make up my mind. well i do have a few more questions. recently i just trade in my 08 nb xb for the rs5 gold rush xb and i just picked up a new set of rims 18x8 42 offset with 225x40x18 rubber.

1. with the option 1,2,3 which spring is more performance than comfort? i'm actually looking for a more performance than comfort coz of my driving style and i tend to go to backsteets and mountain passes to play around alot.

2. with my shoes and socks, which have a higher chance of having rubbing issues and which have the least while hard cornering? eventhough this is my dd but the amount of time i drive i would roughly say i corner hard 40% of my driving time even on local streets.

3. sometimes i do pack 3 passengers in my ride or some cargo but doesn't happen often like 2 or three times a month, so which would have a higher chance of rubbing and which have the least while i'm carrying cargo/ppl?

thats all for now and thanks alot for all the info all you fellow owners provide and this the main reason why i love this forum so much coz e'body willing to help out one another. thank you all once again.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

get coil-overs
Old 05-09-2008, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know but there's not a good one out yet even though i've read many good things for ksport but many of my friends wouldn't recommend it due to bad experience and i'm not saying ksport is bad but for coilovers i'm willing to wait for something better. for now i'm planning on getting springs first. i was thinking of getting ksport coz all the good reviews but like i've mention earlier some of my friends have bad exp. with it and say just get some springs now and when a better coilover come out then change it to coil over. do you get my point. thats why i've asked the questions to help me decide. since i live in los angeles i haven't found a retailer that carry ksport coilover so i can look at it up front. other brands that i mention "ebiach, tanabe, trd, hotchkis"have already establish itself in these market and i have used their products before.
i have exp. with ebiach springs on my 88 porsche i really like it.
then with tanabe, i've used their struts for my 07 honda fit and it was great.
with trd my brother is using their setup on his 1st genxb and it was great.
hotchkis, i've use the sway bar set on my 07 honda fit and it was amazing and i've already order their sway bar kit for my 5.0 gr.
but with ksport i am hesitant to try it out coz i haven't use any of their products before and for the price of ksport i could get the first 3 setup for under $600 which include springs, trd shocks and professional installation. if a ksport vendor willing to send me a set and give me a 60 day refund policy so i can look at the quality myself then i am more than willing to give ksport a try. and what i mean with the 60 day refund policy is including the time for it to ship to my door and i'm not going to install it if i don't like the quality so i'm going to return it brand new. for the ksport vendors who can provide me this service you can pm anytime and we can make a disclose deal.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if youre willing to wait then why not wait for tein or cusco or the other big names to come out with their kit? if you dont drive agressively or hard then i say just stick with the springs.. ride comfort is kinda based more on the dampening settings and seeing that youre using the stock dampers you shouldnt be too worried about ride quality. just worry more with the crazy drops like the hotchkis/tanabe df cause youre riding on whats bassically almost full compression of the damper and thats when the ride gets stiff. plus you might hit bumpstop.

as for rubbing that hasnt really anything to do with the drop. it has more to do with offset and tire width. im not too good at it but there are some members here that can work the tire calculator damn better than i can..
Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from reading what you have posted it seems like if i should go with ebiach sportline coz you mention that hotchkis and tanabe do use pretty much full compression of the damper. and knowing that from all three ebiac do have the least drop but i just worry about my setup. say if i would go with ebiach sportline along with my rims and tire " 18x8 +42, 225x40x18"setup, would i have the issues as i stated previoulsy? rubbing, bottom out with or w/o cargo/passengers?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

according to the tire calculator CIONIDE posted a while back it seems like your tire setup pushes the wheel out about 16mm (.6inch) while i havent seen pics of your car this does seem that the wheel is sticking out of the car and you will probably rub with the hotchkis/tanabe df. i believe the eibach sportline lowers about the same as the trd and tanabe nf so i would stick with those unless you can tuck your fender liner a bit so you dont rub on the outside.

as for bottoming out, i dont think ive hit bumpstop before but i once had 5 guys all about 200lb each all in my tanabe df lowered xB2 and i got it to rub the top of the fender every time i made a turn at any speed. hope that puts everything in perspective. dont quote me on the wheel clearance though.. if you post a pic i could probably help more but like i said beffore i aint great with the tire calculator..
Old 05-09-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do you have the link to tire calculator that CIONINDE posted?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp
Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

18x8 +42 wheels with 225/40-18 tires shouldn't rub with any of the springs listed above. I've seen some really aggressive set-ups that people say don't rub... 8.5"F/9.5"R with +38 offset dropped on K-Sports; if NoLimitz is OK you should be fine.