Notices

Trying to change rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Default Trying to change rear brakes

I have opened a big can of worms. I hope someone can help. I have changewd the front brakes several times with no problem and easy. I pulled the rear tire off today, emergancy brake was in the way, but I figured it would take a little longer. After I popped the old pads off I could not get the caliper to retract. I had a C clamp and cranked it down and it would not6 budge. Tried the other side, same thing. Now I have a XB with no rear brakes and I can not drive it because I can not get the old bads back on. Help! Jeff
Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Redlandrebel
I have opened a big can of worms. I hope someone can help. I have changewd the front brakes several times with no problem and easy. I pulled the rear tire off today, emergancy brake was in the way, but I figured it would take a little longer. After I popped the old pads off I could not get the caliper to retract. I had a C clamp and cranked it down and it would not6 budge. Tried the other side, same thing. Now I have a XB with no rear brakes and I can not drive it because I can not get the old bads back on. Help! Jeff

I'm assuming by your post that you have rear disc as well? Do you have any room to work with or is the piston completely extended across the caliper?
C- clamps can work in a pinch... but it's better to use an actual brake caliper tool. So you dont have to buy one, call around to your local auto parts stores, Advanced Auto Parts, Checker, Autozone, etc. Some places like that actually have some specialized tools that they will let your borrow to use for free. You just have to give them a deposit that they will give you back once you return the tool(s) to them.
Have you checked your brake fluid res. ? Pushing back on caliper pistons can actually push the fluid in the lines back into the resevoir. If that doesnt work then you may have to start from scratch and bleed the whole system, which depending on climate/ environment in general, miles, driving habits, etc. , really should be done once every few years or so. If you are comfortable in doing that yourself then great. If not, then I'd suggest that you ask someone at a professional shop that is local to you that specializes doing brake work. As they can visually see what has actually happened in your specific case. I've done this kind of work for a long time...I just finished doing a complete brake system flush and new pads/rotor install on my Jeep this past week myself. It's just hard to diagnose remotely sometimes when we can't see what has actually happened in your specific case. So here's my suggestion list:

1. Borrow a brake caliper tool from a buddy or a local parts store that's close to you like what I've suggested above.

2. Seek advice from a good local shop that either specializes in brake work or a good full service shop so they can visually see your specific issue.

3. Worst case senerio is if you can't get it worked out on your own then simply take it to a good local brake shop and have them bleed/flush the system and install the new pads for you.

Hope that at least will give you a good plan of attack from this point forward.

Last edited by Mouse; 09-05-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not familiar with the xB's, but I think the rear caliper is different from the front since it has an incorporated parking brake. In order to retract the piston on calipers with an incorporated parking brake, you will need to turn the piston clockwise while pushing inward. There is a special service tool for this type of caliper which grips onto the piston so you can turn it clockwise.

Last edited by N0AuTHoRiTy; 09-05-2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Adding on.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All the info you need:

Rear brakes!! Help
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=165343

Search is your friend.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for this same reason i took the car the first time somewhere to do the rear brakes. shoulda searched lol
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Default It worked!

Thanks NOAuTHoRiTy and CIONIDE. I was able to put the Pads on this morning, no problem. I am going to detail the steps for anyone else.
1 - Buy your pads from anyone and rent the caliper tool for free at autozone.
2 - Take rear tires off and unbolt caliper, remove from disc.
3 - Take old pads off and seperate the brake caliper into 2 pieces.
4 - Use the caliper tool and screw the piston clockwise back in the caliper.
5 - Put new retainer clips in seperated piece of caliper and slide back on so the caliper is one piece again.
6 - Hand tighten the caliper back on so you can work on putting the new pads back on. The ebrake makes it a pain so by bolting it on you can use both hands to put the pads on. You need both hands!
7 - Put the grease/lubricate on the back of the pads and install. You will probably need a small screwdriver to push the retainer clip in to seat the pad.
8 - Slide the assembly on the disc and bolt the caliper back on.

I hpoe this helps the next person!
Jeff
Old 09-05-2010, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by N0AuTHoRiTy
I'm not familiar with the xB's, but I think the rear caliper is different from the front since it has an incorporated parking brake. In order to retract the piston on calipers with an incorporated parking brake, you will need to turn the piston clockwise while pushing inward. There is a special service tool for this type of caliper which grips onto the piston so you can turn it clockwise.
Darn, I wonder if that's the problem I had with my 1990 Eclipse rear calipers recently? The right rear wasn't releasing properly and absolutely refused to retract with my trusty C-Clamp. I got a rebuild kit for the piston, but when I couldn't retract it, I threw up my hands and got a rebuilt caliper (much more costly than the kit ). I thought it was totally frozen, but perhaps it was at least in part a rotation issue and the appropriate tool would have solved my disassembly problem !
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why rent a tool just use a needle nose or like a 17mm wrench

you forgot put rear tires back on
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tool looks like a little cube with different ***** on each side. you just match up the ***** to the slot on your rear caliper piston, and stick a 3/8 ext in it and use a ratchet and turn it clockwise while pushing in. they sell the cube at advance/napa/etc usually like 10 bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Desig.../dp/B000OUX9J0
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone got info on how the ebrake cable is removed in the rear? I am doing my brakes in a few days and want to be prepared.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 AM

So after reading that the piston has to spin instead of being bushed in with a c clamp like front breaks, I tried turning the piston with a pair of regular pliers on by 2009 xb and had no issues turning it. So you can use plain pliers and turn the piston to the right pretty easily without any special tool.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member

sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this was EXTREMELY helpful. I want to express my thanks to all of you. I ended up getting the little cube for $12 at Autozone. Unfortunately, one of my calipers was non-salvageable, and I almost bought a second one until I read this thread. The good caliper rotated in just fine with the Autozone cube, but I did have a problem with the caliper pin ... anyone ever had one of these dumb things seize up on them? Most of the time, I try to remove them completely, clean them up, re-lube them, but they always end up seized by the time I get to replacing the pads. Is there a special lube needed to be used with those caliper pins?