Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Road Noise

I have been running Enkei Evo rims on Nankang tires for around a year and finally decided to rotate my tires the other day. I know I should have rotated them earlier, but just never got around to doing it.

After rotating them, I have noticed a great difference in road noise . . . alot more road noise. I remember getting rings that came with the rims when I purchased them. A buddy of mine said they go in your hub and silence the majority for the road noise.

Does anyone have them on their car currently? How and where about do they install?

Pics would be great if someone has some.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here are how hub rings go in:

http://www.justforwheels.com/index.j...entric&sub=how

hope that helps.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hub rings have nothing to do with the road noise. The hub rings just make your wheel hub-centric. Without hub rings, your wheels might be vibrating slightly, in turn causing the tires to cup. Check the inside shoulder blocks for cupping. Not rotating/re balancing your tires can cause cupping as well. (Also ditch the nankangs, trust me, you get what you pay for with tires...)
Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Can you post the pic for your Evo rims on your car
Tks
Old 03-10-2009, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just don't get nankang POS tires...
that is your problem along with neglect....if your tires are out of round and they have a wierd wear issue, that will be the source of your tire/road noise problem.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, the hubrings have no relations to the road noise you are getting also...if you needed hub rings you should have been able to tell the first time you put the wheels on the car. If it shakes then you might have needed them but since you drove over a year without them that was not the case.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The Nankang tires were my only choice with the money I had at the time. Its been a little over a year with these tires and they are working just fine.

I am not feeling any vibrations at all with the tires actually, just alot of noise. I know there is going to be road noise with these $50 a tire Nankangs, thats to be expected. Suprisingly, these tires have actually done me some good. The noise started happening when I rotated the rears to the front. After messing around a bit more, I realized that they weren't balance properly. I took off the rims weights that were supposibly balancing them, and the road noise is gone, completely. I will be getting them rebalanced soon along with an alignment.

I had neglected my front tires and they were balding around the outter edges. I blame that on hard cornering and not keeping them inflated to spec.

All is good with them now however.

If you wish to see the pictures of the car with the rims, please click on the MOD LIST in my sig. It will bring you to my mod page along with a few pictures of them installed.

Thanks for the replys!