Notices

Tire Rubbing - Rolled Fenders... How?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tire Rubbing - Rolled Fenders... How?

I did a quick search but could not find any DIY or info about rolling the fender on the XB2.
Can someone please share some info or provide a link?

On the 2nd Gen XB, how do you actually roll the fender?
I'm assuming that the plastic lining in the fender well needs to be reformed. I would think reforming the plastic while still on the vehicle would be best. Do you use a heat gun of some sort? Using a heat gun sound a little scary though. It could cause damage to the exterior paint if over heated. I was thinking maybe placing aluminum foil to act as a heat barrier between the plastic well lining and exterior fender. This would maybe help keep all the heat from getting to the exterior fender with paint.

Funny… Back in the old school days, I recall seeing guys grab a baseball bat and wedge it against the tire and start to actually roll (smash) the inner metal fender well in. I think, in our situation with our XB2, the plastic lining would just pop back out to normal, rip, or break.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's rubbing on the plactic not the metal? if so you may just have to cut some of the plastic out and remove it.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 AM
SL Member

I see you have the same issue after all... I assume you have the NF 210 installed?? I haven't done anything about mine yet... mine is tolerable so I think I'm just going to learn to live with it until I figure out what I want to do about it.

Post some pix... let's seem those new shoes!!
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hwybox
It's rubbing on the plactic not the metal? if so you may just have to cut some of the plastic out and remove it.
x2! from what your typing, it seems like its rubbing on the plastic. so no fender rolling is needed. oh & the baseball bat thing is ghetto this is a a pic of a fender roller

Old 08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's some fender rolling tips from NoLimitz in another thread; however, if you're rubbing plastic and not the metal fender lip then rolling the fenders won't solve your problem.

Originally Posted by NoLimitzInd
Yes I own a roller. There is a couple things you have to be careful about. One is do not try and rush it. If you try and rush it, it will end up crinkling the paint and screwing up the fender. I have seen alot of people do that. They try and do to much to fast and ends up chipping the paint. It took me about a hour a fender. It sounds like a long time, but I did mine slow and kept changing the angles and all that over and over so I could make sure it was way in there.

Two. Make sure the paint and fender area are very warm. It makes it flexible while you are doing it. I used a heat gun and warmed it up all around the fender. Both inside and out. I used my hand as a guage really. Warm enough to touch but not hot enough that it would mess up the paint. When the paint and metal are warm they will stretch easier.

Here is the last thing I did on mine in there. Not needed, but I did it for that last little bit. I rolled it as far as I could get it. Then I took a small hammer and leaned inside the fender and tapped the metal all the way flat in there. If you do it nice and slow it wont damage anything. Now dont go out and start beating on it cause I did and blame me.. LOL.
Mine is really flat up in there now. The problem area I have now is in the front of the rear fender where the door is. That is where the tire hits now. Because when you compress your suspension you will see the wheels pull forward. so When I hit a good bump it pulls the wheels far enough forward that it hits up there. I am going to mess with that area next.
Well I hope this helps out some. Let me know if you need anymore help.
Here's a DIY with pictures from the internet. It's not an xB, but you'll get the idea.
http://tom.actionfit.com/fenderolling.html
Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by c_dub
Post some pix... let's seem those new shoes!!
Pics posted:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie....php?p=3658639

Thanks for the info and advise. I drove it around for about a week more and the rub is minor. It's seems to be rubbing a tiny bit of plastic lining. The rub seems to be at those little square plastic nubs that protrude about an inch. If it bothers me more, I think I'll cut those parts of the lining off and do some minor plastic patching. For now, I don't think I need to do any major rolling of the fenders.