Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ATF flush vs. change

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default ATF flush vs. change

Me again...

My 08 XD is at about 91k miles, think it's about time to get the ATF changed (checked it yesterday; it's a dark rosy color/not burnt, but don't think it'll hurt anything).

Anyway, my uncle owns a shop and says he can change it for me, but it won't be a complete flush like the dealership does. He says he'll drain most of it out and refill it. I guess the dealership completely drains it and flushes it or something (hence the $250 price tag).

Do you think a complete ATF flush is necessary, or do you think having it changed is sufficient?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I got an AutoMagic tC1...I did a simple Drain & Refill at 68k Miles.

Recently at 110k Miles...I actually changed out the Tranny Filter & Fluid.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TeeCizzle
Recently at 110k Miles...I actually changed out the Tranny Filter & Fluid.
im guessing you meant to say the STRAINER as its not called a filter.....
Old 08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would skip the flush and just drain the pan.. that will get about half the fluid... then do it again in 5k miles or so.. repeat this for another 3 times or so... and u will almost have a complete fluid change.. tyranny fluid has a hard life , they are loaded with detergents that keep the system clean. This approach will extend the life of the tyranny... cheap insurance ... IMO.

Originally Posted by jenkay
Me again...

My 08 XD is at about 91k miles, think it's about time to get the ATF changed (checked it yesterday; it's a dark rosy color/not burnt, but don't think it'll hurt anything).

Anyway, my uncle owns a shop and says he can change it for me, but it won't be a complete flush like the dealership does. He says he'll drain most of it out and refill it. I guess the dealership completely drains it and flushes it or something (hence the $250 price tag).

Do you think a complete ATF flush is necessary, or do you think having it changed is sufficient?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Your have probably already taken care of your tranny work, but for future reference for other users.
A drain and fill is ok. Better then nothing and it is what everyone used to do before. A tranny "flush" costs so damn much because we use about 10 or more quarts of ATF. You car is essentially hooked up to a dialysis machine and new atf is ran through your transmission while you car is running. Every time bit of it is cleaned out and replaced with new ATF. Better for your car in the long run.

If you can, a lot of independent shops have these tranny flush machines. They will charge a LOT less then the dealer. Just shop around. For the most part, it is kind of hard to mess this service up and most shops will do an ok job. Just shop around. =]

-Kaname
Old 11-03-2013, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member

I did a drain/fill today. Took better part of 3qts of Toyota WS Fluid. This is SUPER EASY to do. Easier than doing the engine oil/filter.

My XD is nearing 50k mi & by the looks of it alone I'm glad I started to clean it out. Will dump/fill a couple more times & then let it rip for another 30k mi or so.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xxkanamesanxx
Your have probably already taken care of your tranny work, but for future reference for other users.
A drain and fill is ok. Better then nothing and it is what everyone used to do before. A tranny "flush" costs so damn much because we use about 10 or more quarts of ATF. You car is essentially hooked up to a dialysis machine and new atf is ran through your transmission while you car is running. Every time bit of it is cleaned out and replaced with new ATF. Better for your car in the long run.

If you can, a lot of independent shops have these tranny flush machines. They will charge a LOT less then the dealer. Just shop around. For the most part, it is kind of hard to mess this service up and most shops will do an ok job. Just shop around. =]

-Kaname
What you described is an exchange not a flush.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member

$250! Let your uncle change it. I wonder how dealer service managers sleep at night!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member

10 qts of top of the line synthetic transmission fluid would cost less than $100. $150 for the machine use and technician costs?!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member

Hello all,

i have a 2012 xd i just purchased with 31k miles, took it in to the dealerhsip for a check up and was told that my auto tranny does not have the correct fluid and had to be flushed as soon as possible so they could salvage it!! I was told that my warranty was void now and the service cost would be $223 so i decided to do the flush myself. my question to you guys is since i dont know what fuid is in there now and if i dont succesffuly get all of it out and i mixes with the toyota WS would it matter to the point it will ruin my tranny??