Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (xD)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i really loved the sound of the precion muffler set up if had to chose to do it all over again i would go with the precion system as the actuall muffler doesnt sit as low like on the dc sports its a stright through can design so the muffler sits really low and i tend to scrap it however they both sound amazing : )
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@ bwhite or Stylis, I too am curious about what this kit does to one's gas mileage. Does it improve, stay pretty much the same, or decrease? I usually drive like an old lady b/c it uses less gas day in/out, but there are times when I like/need to let the hammer down. I do like the idea of a broader power band too though. Also, if I'm driving conservatively, what's the noise like? Is it a much louder drone than normal on the freeway? I don't care if it gets louder when I punch it....I mean why not let the person know they're being passed anyway? If the noise is constantly louder than normal however, I could see that becoming a problem for me personally.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by asurjc
@ bwhite or Stylis, I too am curious about what this kit does to one's gas mileage. Does it improve, stay pretty much the same, or decrease? I usually drive like an old lady b/c it uses less gas day in/out, but there are times when I like/need to let the hammer down. I do like the idea of a broader power band too though. Also, if I'm driving conservatively, what's the noise like? Is it a much louder drone than normal on the freeway? I don't care if it gets louder when I punch it....I mean why not let the person know they're being passed anyway? If the noise is constantly louder than normal however, I could see that becoming a problem for me personally.
I know you were asking the others, and I have no experience with the specific kits mentioned. However, I have a custom catback from a local (to me) exhaust shop using 2.25" pipe and a magnaflow muffler. It did make the car quite a bit louder, but also gave me about 3 MPG on the highway. I do drive fairly conservative moste of the time, but get on it every once in a while. since the exhaust was done I have averaged about 38 MPG, before that I was getting around 35 most of the time.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by misformartin
i really loved the sound of the precion muffler set up if had to chose to do it all over again i would go with the precion system as the actuall muffler doesnt sit as low like on the dc sports its a stright through can design so the muffler sits really low and i tend to scrap it however they both sound amazing : )
Thanks, I'm pretty sure that is the unit I'm going with.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by libima
I know you were asking the others, and I have no experience with the specific kits mentioned. However, I have a custom catback from a local (to me) exhaust shop using 2.25" pipe and a magnaflow muffler. It did make the car quite a bit louder, but also gave me about 3 MPG on the highway
No problem at all. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

our pipes are at 2" stock right?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rude_xD
Yes. I believe you are correct. I've seen the piping listed as 50mm which is just shy of 2 inches (1.95" or something like that). I have yet to actually crawl under the car to specifically verify this though.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my car it was 2.25" until the factory resonater which is after the second cat. After that it was reduced down to 1.5".
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by libima
On my car it was 2.25" until the factory resonater which is after the second cat. After that it was reduced down to 1.5".
I'm guessing your setup doesn't have a resonator any more, right? Can I ask how much it cost and what kind of shop you went to? Was it a performance shop or just a muffler shop?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
I'm guessing your setup doesn't have a resonator any more, right? Can I ask how much it cost and what kind of shop you went to? Was it a performance shop or just a muffler shop?
No resonator any more. I think I paid about $450 or so, cant remember for sure but I should still have the reciept around here somewhere to look it up. I just went to a local master muffler franchise. The shop came with a good recommendation from my brother-in-law the mechanic. I guess he has them do all of his exhaust work for himself and his customers.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i was thinking was magnaflow cat 2.5'' pipe and aftermarket muffler of some sort. you think it would be worth it? anyone else with that set up?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

stay away from aftermarket mufflers... gonna get the bee in a can sound get a magnaflow 40 series muffler you wont be dissapointed
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i was thinking was magnaflow cat 2.5'' pipe and aftermarket muffler of some sort. you think it would be worth it? anyone else with that set up?
You should be fine with 2.5" pipe, but you may loose a little torque. I don't have any experience with any aftermarket high flow cats, so I don't know what you could expect from that. It may help some?
Like misformartin said though stick with reputable brands for the muffler, otherwise it will sound bad.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found a magnaflow cat and muffler for under $200 so if i do it itll be with those. whats the optimal diameter pipe for a small displacement NA engine like ours? i was just guessing around 2.5 but i have no idea
Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i found a magnaflow cat and muffler for under $200 so if i do it itll be with those. whats the optimal diameter pipe for a small displacement NA engine like ours? i was just guessing around 2.5 but i have no idea
$200 sounds like a pretty good deal for the cat and muffler. Optimal pipe size really depends on what you want the engine to do. On a mostly stock xD I wouldn't go any larger than 2.25".
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im thinking 2.25 now i said 2.5 thinking stock was 2" but i got under my car yesterday and did an approx and its like 1.75ish
Old 02-20-2010, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2.5" is the largest you want on a NA engine. This isn't a 1.0-1.5L engine either so you wont be sacrificing a lot with that diameter. It also depends on your rank of needs also, if you just want the exhaust tone stick with 2.25", if you want the most out of the engine for auto-x/etc go for the 2.5" (it'll also leave more potential should there be more mods available in the future)
Old 03-04-2010, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bwhite
http://precisionmuffler.com/id160.htm

I ordered and got the baby in a few days

It's REALLY SWEET. I can feel the powerband change and the motor is noticably better pulling at over 2 grand till 6+ and it revs much quicker. That is to say, it now takes less time to go from 2000 RPM to 6000 RPM with the same load. I have a manual trans and it makes things sooooooooo much nicer. The freeway drone is minimal, as long as you're not letting the hammer down... light throttle pressure, and the sound is very good. WOT makes a loud statement..... :>)

Took all of 8 minutes to Jack up, install it, and put away the tools !!!

I'm glad I got it! Tell em the guy from Hawaii said it was good.
I just placed my order for one of these. I'm looking forward to getting it installed.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a kit on the way too, for me the main selling point was the positive reviews and the price of the kit. Their is no way I would pay $500 for an axle back that goes on an xD.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

The reason we have the price set so low is because we make everything in house and don't need to have anything shipped in from over seas. Easy to install and a great price.

PrecisionMuffler.com

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust (xD)