Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Manual transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM

Default Manual transmission Fluid?

I've been searching for days I cannot find anything...

How do I add fluid or check the level to know if I need to add fluid to the transmission on a manual XD? Please specify. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the manual xD's have a fully enclosed system. you don't check fluid, you don't add more, you can only replace. It is rated for either 90k or 120k, it's in the user manual somewhere.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM

The manual trans is not a "fully enclosed system," it's just like every other Toyota manual transmission, it has no way to check the fluid level. They made the case just the right size for the rotating and shifting assemblies and nothing else.

As far as fluids in it, you shouldn't need to add any unless it's been leaking. If you're jonesing to do the fluid, might as well do a flush and fill it with ONLY GL-4 oil. MT90 works wonders on Toyota synchros so you'll feel a positive difference in the feel of gear changes.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Of course you can check the level and top up.

There are two plug bolts, one on the bottom of the transmission and one on the side. The one on the side is the fill plug, and the fluid should come up all the way to the plug. If you just want to check the transmission oil without replacing it, take out the fill plug and stick your finger in. If it comes out oily and the oil isn't brown, you're good to go. If you can't reach oil with your finger, you need to top up.

In general, there is no point in checking the transmission oil levels unless you suspect a leak or are wondering whether it's dirty. This is a test I usually run on old, well-used cars that I'm trying to revive.

For full disclosure, I guess, there was some study that revealed if you leave your hand soaking in motor oil for a month or two you'll get skin cancer. One solution is to wear gloves or use something other than your finger. My solution is to wipe my hands when I'm done. Whatever.