Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Short/Quick Shifter Kit(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got used to it, but still have to put in the aligner plate because I've been lazy.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default short,short,shorter shift.

I put ALL of the stuff available for shifter mods in my "D".
I love it. the cable bushings made the shifts less squishy, the short shift in the cabin and engine bay shortened the shifts by a bunch, and the cage bushings in the cabin also made the shifts shorter!

The ONLY downside to the mods, is the shifts were harder to do till everything wore in, and the cage now conducts the tranny noise, so I'll be putting in some RATTLE Trap to kill the "Hot Rod" sounds...

I also have a Hurst "T" shift with a Line-lock in it that works on the rear wheels so There's just about nothing I can do anymore to the shifter.....

Do all you want..... you won't be un-happy unless you remove your clutch pedal and then complain about shiftability...... :>)

Last edited by bwhite; 09-17-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added Rattle-trap Sound deadener!!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I added the Rattle-Trap Sound deadener to the Shifter Cage, and it was soooooo good, I ended up doing almost the entire car. I did all the areas that sound was being transmitted to the cabin. I now have a Scion XD - Lexus !! (the Shifter/Console area was the NOISIEST!)
It's soooooooooo Quiet. My magna flow is loud outside, and just a hum inside, and the road noise from the LP/tires are almost non-existent. I am so amazed by the results that I am going to add another layer in the rear trunk area to see if it will get even more quiet !!! --- I want an Ultra Lexus XD :>)
Old 09-20-2009, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

NST is just a nice guy selling slightly less than standard equipment.

Folks - TRD got it right with their short shift kit. NST did not follow with their own adaptation. NST is snake oil (which means big benefits promised - few delivered). A year ago, you would be flamed for telling the truth about NST. Now, nobody cares - because the facts have been widely recognized. If you want BARGAIN parts with questionable results, NST is your vendor. If you care about performance and the engineering implications, you stick with TRD - its pretty simple.

And good luck on all your projects!
Old 09-20-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i've had the NST engine bay kit and bushings for just about a year now, not a single problem. if you are referring to NST as bargain parts with questionable results because of the pulley incident, thats a little unfair... afterall, it was never installed correctly. like you said, its simple - for now, your options are pretty much limited to cosmetic stuff if TRD is all you stick with: springs, wheels, overpriced shift *****, oil cap (oh boy!), etc...