Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Why does the Corolla make more power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far as the transmissions go, the manuals are different (C50 for the xD, C59 for the Corolla), but the autos both use the U341E. I'm not sure if Toyota uses different gear ratios in that gearbox, though.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i used different gearing in my Daytona. had gears1-5 from an 89 and kept the 93 final. made for some short gears and a slightly longer 5th.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This is pure specualtion, but I do know for a fact that the 09 Corolla has an ECU update the xD does not get. the timing is slightly different and it creates better gas mileage and more power as a result of the timing difference. I had the corolla update done to my ECU in my xD and I gained horse and MPG from it...
So my best guess is that the rolla's tuning is why it gets more power and better mpg...

to get a little bit more into detail on this, Toyota realized the timing issue on the 08 xD's and when the 09 Corollas came out they corrected the issue for them... unfortunately the xD remained the same... Keep in mind that the 09 Rolla got everything from us, our wants, our needs, our engine, our tranny, etc...
Old 11-05-2009, 10:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. From looking at the K&N website where the corolla is rated lower power compared to the XD (probably from the heat) for the add on of an intake it is hard to tell the difference if any. I thought if I checked them they would have a third party perspective on power, but their power pull at a considerably higher ambient temperature than the XD pull makes it hard to split hairs (I guess). I don't doubt the higher market for the Corolla would influence Toyota to boast higher output for the Corolla. I just hoped for a difference between the two would be discernible for an easy power additive, but I suspect everything is even-steven. Different gear ratios would explain the mileage (which I understand s different), but kudos for the input.

Last edited by Nateson; 11-05-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
This is pure specualtion, but I do know for a fact that the 09 Corolla has an ECU update the xD does not get. the timing is slightly different and it creates better gas mileage and more power as a result of the timing difference. I had the corolla update done to my ECU in my xD and I gained horse and MPG from it...
So my best guess is that the rolla's tuning is why it gets more power and better mpg...

to get a little bit more into detail on this, Toyota realized the timing issue on the 08 xD's and when the 09 Corollas came out they corrected the issue for them... unfortunately the xD remained the same... Keep in mind that the 09 Rolla got everything from us, our wants, our needs, our engine, our tranny, etc...
anyway i could get the dealer to do this update? do you have any more info on it or anything i could use to convince them to do it, lol?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
anyway i could get the dealer to do this update? do you have any more info on it or anything i could use to convince them to do it, lol?
Thats what I was thinking, but even if they would I'm sure they'd charge. Too bad we don't all work in dealers
Old 11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
SL Member

Im also interested. Can we get this done too?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by c2iix
Im also interested. Can we get this done too?
Ask him what happened to that engine before following in his footsteps!
Old 11-13-2009, 01:31 AM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not 100% on this, but i remember for my friends honda integra he had to have a modifyed ecu before he could change the settings on it. so what i was thinking of trying to get an ecu out of a carolla and putting it into the d. but if we could get them flashed that would be a whole lot easier/cheaper.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the ECU is Daihatsu. Corolla's is Toyota. might work. who knows
Old 11-16-2009, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You should be able to get the ECU out of a Rolla and use it in the xD no problems. As for the ECU update, you need to have documented evidence with a dealership that your xD is actually experiencing the oil consumption issue before its even considered... I went though about 20K miles of having my oil checked at 500mile intervals before they did the update... at that point it was too little too late... burning oil for 55,000 miles tends to fry your internals...
Old 11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by pickledchang

I guess you could try telling the dealership you heard about it online and they could check service bulletins, (I dont know what the service bulletin number is) you might find a dealership that will do it without verifying the oil consumption...
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
SL Member

i am one of the few who have a corolla xrs with the 2zz engine. I also have the TC. the difference I see is the VVTL-i on the XRS. The lift system is what really sets it apart. the rev limit is at 8200 with a 6 speed gear box. another reason why it is faster is because it is significantly lighter than our fatass TC.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good lord why are some of you guys talking about different transmissions when we are comparing horse power rated at the fly wheel? As others have said the difference is exhaust and tuning most likely. If Asian ECU's weren't such a PITA to program all someone would need is some additional tuning to pick up those few extra ponies.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my original question I asked why the Corolla made more power, weighed more, and still got better gas mileage. The different gearing in the trans would allow for lower RPMs at highway speeds, so that would explain the better gas mileage. As for the power I have kinda given up because it's like splitting hairs. A neat site to check out the difference in parts between models is toyotapartszone.com . You have to enter your VIN to get specific parts, but what I did is I went to ebay motors snagged a model specific VIN like 2009 Corolla (they show the VIN so you can check the history report), and popped it into the site to compare my part numbers to the 2ZR-FE Corolla. Our Intake and Exhaust manifolds are the same part numbers, but our throttle bodies are different numbers. I haven't been too thorough, but I did check a few things. I'm also not to sure how ethical it is to snag a VIN number to use it for research.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
In my original question I asked why the Corolla made more power, weighed more, and still got better gas mileage. The different gearing in the trans would allow for lower RPMs at highway speeds, so that would explain the better gas mileage. As for the power I have kinda given up because it's like splitting hairs. A neat site to check out the difference in parts between models is toyotapartszone.com . You have to enter your VIN to get specific parts, but what I did is I went to ebay motors snagged a model specific VIN like 2009 Corolla (they show the VIN so you can check the history report), and popped it into the site to compare my part numbers to the 2ZR-FE Corolla. Our Intake and Exhaust manifolds are the same part numbers, but our throttle bodies are different numbers. I haven't been too thorough, but I did check a few things. I'm also not to sure how ethical it is to snag a VIN number to use it for research.
oh lol
Old 04-17-2010, 04:11 PM

I dont know but I got my xd manual transmission and 3 moths later a friend of mine got a corrolla S manual transmission also after break in we race and he never pass me and I like to race and I race a few of corolla S and all were the same and thats was with my stock xd!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

corolla xrs 04-06 is beast!! lol

but yea im with trd wen u only have 1 person in the car u dnt feel a difference compared to a full car i really considering to take my back seats out cuz i hate that shyt
Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should be able to get the ECU out of a Rolla and use it in the xD no problems. As for the ECU update, you need to have documented evidence with a dealership that your xD is actually experiencing the oil consumption issue before its even considered... I went though about 20K miles of having my oil checked at 500mile intervals before they did the update... at that point it was too little too late... burning oil for 55,000 miles tends to fry your internals...

soo u had to get new internals?? wat else did u change??

im at 55k now and i want my d to be faster than wat it is!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by TRDxD
the xD is lighter by, varying from website to website, anywhere from 55-100 lbs. (edmunds and other websites all have different quoted curb weights from what I've seen.) and in all honesty, as a daily driver, youre not going to notice that extra baggage. think about it this way. can you really tell the difference in performance when you have your friend sitting next to you? a full car is a different story, because i do notice that, but when you pick up a buddy, theres really nothing you can feel if youre not paying attention to it, and even then, you still probably wouldnt.
I notice a pretty good difference in acceleration with a full tank vs. 1/4 full, but going only off of having a friend or my girl in it, I would agree that I barely notice it if at all.

Quick Reply: Why does the Corolla make more power?