Notices
Scion xD Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

what about a supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i know about getting certified but im also in school trying to get my degree in automotive engineering...so...while i am taking classes that can GET me certified, i have so much crap that i have to complete for my major its not even funny. trying to see if anyone's willing to hire, but nope....i went through that phase too...started identifying every car that drove by (america/euro/japanese w/e it was i named it.) started learning engines/displacement numbers/whether they were turbo/sc/na...all that. then i actually got serious and started teaching myself the technical details. how install/uninstall/what needs to be fixed and why. been taking engine shop classes the past year, and am learning even more. i just want more hands on experience etc.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i like where this kid is headed, first he wants to know how to go faster then 100 mph, now he is going to get a supercharger!

i wonder if i can set my VZ navigator to avoid him when i'm driving around.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rofl harsh.. autiously eyes xDkidd: but i see what you mean....................
Old 12-12-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
wow, i like where this kid is headed, first he wants to know how to go faster then 100 mph, now he is going to get a supercharger!

i wonder if i can set my VZ navigator to avoid him when i'm driving around.
only cause im a kid and you have no life just cause I want more power out of my then just modifying, doesnt mean you can just come bashing down on me just to hear yourself in this thread, I bet your proud of yourself
Old 12-12-2008, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i see what youre saying...looks like hes seeking you out on your posts now...its okay man. whether or not he thinks he has a point (whether it be valid or not) just ignore it if it ____es you off. its chill. just keep focused on what your plans are
Old 12-13-2008, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

excuse me for promoting safe driving practices in my neighborhood. glad to hear your a safe and reasonable driver most of the time who doesn't think he is a street racer.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no ones trying to come down on you for promoting safe driving (im certaintly not) so its chill..guess we should all just try and see things neutrally as often as possible...(though that can be quite hard since forums are for expressing opinion haha)
Old 02-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Confirmed that there will not be a supercharger for the xD anytime soon:

February 5, 2009 Page 1 of 1

TO: Scion Sales and Parts Managers
SUBJECT: Discontinuing Sale of Scion Superchargers

While TRD will always be committed to developing performance products when a strong business opportunity is present, current business conditions demand we discontinue the sale of Scion superchargers. Effective March 1, 2009, the following part numbers will no longer be offered:

Part Number Vehicle MY Description
PTR01-21050-90 tC '05-'06 Supercharger
PTR41-21005 tC '05-'06 Supercharger
PTR41-21070 tC '07-08 Supercharger
PTR41-21090 tC '09 Supercharger
PTR01-21051 tC All AT Fit Kit
PTR41-52080 xB '08 Supercharger
PTR41-52092 xB '09 Supercharger
PTR41-52091 xB All AT Fit Kit

All dealer inventory is considered saleable after March 1, 2009 and fully supported by service and warranty replacement parts. Warranty coverage is not affected and remains unchanged.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
superchargers can come with just as many problems. Leaks become a MAJOR issue to superchargers, much more so than turbo's, and can absolutely ruin your air/fuel ratio. dust/dirt/and other small contaminates can also throw off your performance. there's no simple answer to anything, but i see what youre getting at. how many cars have you had? youre only 17 lol
Huh? Care to expand on this? From my experience (turbo and s/c) the supercharger requires much less monitoring, and is more set it and foreget it. This is mainly for the Eaton roots-style blowers, I don't understand why people use vortex ones. They have all the issues of a turbo, plus the belt slippage and fixed psi of a s/c. Eaton uses sealed bearings, so there's no oil feed line needed, and leaks aren't an issue as long as you intake piping is decent. The setups I've seen with the MP-series don't use post-s/c piping, it bolts directly to the intake manifold.

I am suprised no one has put out a custom S/C kit though using an Eaton MP62 with a Magnusun bypass valve on it. The Lotus Exige is running this exact configuration with a 1.8L Toyota 2ZZ. Maybe someone could mod the Lotus kit (no clue what the $$ would be); there's no intercooler piping to worry about.

If someone can weld an intake manifold to mount it to, pulley brackets would be easy. Custom pulley's will also only run a few hundred if you know the dimensions needed. Only other thing would be some custom intake piping and a piggyback harness for EFI.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn , just wait and see if greddy or hks makes one
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It's doubtful Greddy will. While they have experience with the Eaton blower from the 1gen xB, the only other supercharger they have is for the Celica, and the xB was probably also able to go on the bB since the manual lists the model as 02-05. There's no xD over there and the market here is probably too small. if you can find a willing shop custom wouldn't be too hard, just weld up an intake mani with a mounting plate for the blower. They make different shaft lengths so you can get it in-line with the belt and just use a larger belt, or run a multi-belt with a two-belt alternator pulley.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
damn , just wait and see if greddy or hks makes one
Greddy=No

Don't forget, the company is almost non-existant now... They are completely bankrupt and fund NO R&D...
Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
Originally Posted by TRDxD
superchargers can come with just as many problems. Leaks become a MAJOR issue to superchargers, much more so than turbo's, and can absolutely ruin your air/fuel ratio. dust/dirt/and other small contaminates can also throw off your performance. there's no simple answer to anything, but i see what youre getting at. how many cars have you had? youre only 17 lol
Huh? Care to expand on this? From my experience (turbo and s/c) the supercharger requires much less monitoring, and is more set it and foreget it. This is mainly for the Eaton roots-style blowers, I don't understand why people use vortex ones. They have all the issues of a turbo, plus the belt slippage and fixed psi of a s/c. Eaton uses sealed bearings, so there's no oil feed line needed, and leaks aren't an issue as long as you intake piping is decent. The setups I've seen with the MP-series don't use post-s/c piping, it bolts directly to the intake manifold.
my point was there can still be problems with a S/C just as much as there is with a Turbo. I'm not saying it's more frequent, and I'm not saying they're just as needy for monitoring. I was just pointing out the fact that nothing is perfect, even with something that is normally easier to handle and maintain
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well all ii can say now is that recession is ___! *no offence*
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

TRD will never come out with a SC for a car, theyve OFFICIALLY stopped making the SC for the tc and xb2, so basically watevers left out there in the dealers is wats left period kinda sux but also good considering all the crap those sc's put people threw
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just because they cut SC's from the tC and xB doesn't mean that's it for the Toyota SC.... the Matrix also had a SC from TRD, so who know's if they're going to make one for that? Toyota seems to dabble in SC, and then run back over to Turbo every now and then. (example, MR2....MKI came out with S/C, and it had its own little problems, and then they turned to a Turbo for MKII, which they in turn decided to utilize in the Supra, and various other models at the time.)
Old 02-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

toyota hasnt made a turbo car in years, when was th elast one the mr2? or supra? i cant remember theyve been more steady wit SC's then turbos lately (tundra,FJ cruiser etc.)

Originally Posted by Sparks_Scion_TRD_Parts
After February 27, 2009 Scion dealers in the US will not be able to purchase Scion Superchargers from TRD.

The Warranty and replacement parts will still be supported at the dealership level by Toyota/Scion.

Customers will still be able buy the superchargers as long as supplies last at the dealership level, but they have been discontinued and are limited to quantities on hand.

Ken
www.trdsparks.com
there done completely making superchargers for the scion brand, so i doubt theyll even try one for the xD considering they never took out one for the xb and xa either. in a good way its good considering the nightmare that the tc's had with that thing
Old 02-06-2009, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it would of been cool if it was compatible with blitz yaris s/c