Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2008 Scion xD Door Actuator problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:48 AM

Default 2008 Scion xD Door Actuator problem solved

My daughters 2008 Scion xD driver door stopped working. Well it began working intermittently. So, I removed the door panel, unbolted and removed locking module, disassembled the module (a couple of screws and perimeter snaps), removed electric motor and carefully disassembled it to inspect issue. The motor's armature had typical carbon deposit, so, I lightly sanded armature & brushes with 1000grit, sprayed clean with mass air flow sensor cleaner, reassembled, works perfect. What happens over time is that the armature gets a carbon deposit hindering the transfer of electrical current from the brushes to spin the motor. Cleaning this armature and brushes will make it perform like brand new!
This saved me several hundred dollars from having the dealership repair it and it now works like new. This is just normal wear on these little electric motors over time.
NOTE: Be careful disassembling the module, when you reassemble it, there are certain parts that have to line up properly, you will see. Be careful and don't break any of the little tabs as you separate the module. when you disassemble the motor, be careful and don't drop it, the internal magnets can break. There are two little tabs on the metal case of the motor that you bend out and the motor will slide apart.
If you look at the first pic, you can see the armature is dirty, the last pic, the armature is clean after sanding the deposit from the copper plates and I lightly cleaned the brushes by folding/rolling some of the 1000grit sandpaper and rubbing or spinning it inside the brushes.
Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Scion xD Door Actuator problem solved-photo-1-17-33-45.jpg   2008 Scion xD Door Actuator problem solved-photo-2-17-33-45.jpg   2008 Scion xD Door Actuator problem solved-photo-3.jpg  
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 PM

toyota rav 4 uses the same door lock actuator. i found a furter detailed post on the rav 4 forums

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4...ocks-free.html