Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

How to Replace your E-brake Handle Cover - xD

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 AM

Default How to Replace your E-brake Handle Cover - xD

Haven't seen anyone post a "how-to replace the parking brake handle" on an xD anywhere so I took a chance, ordered it on the hope that I could do it on my own (with some how-to for other models for guidance).

A little background:

It all started when I replaced my shift **** with a nice SPARCO **** that looked great.

But then all of a sudden, my original e-brake handle looked really lame next to it

So I ordered the MOMO PIT STOP EBRAKE HANDLE STEEL, and accompanying ADAPTER and BOOT as I though it matched the shift **** well.

I googled everything I could find on replacing e-brake covers (someone posted a really good step-by-step for their Corvette) so I crossed my fingers that it wouldn't all that different.

**NOTE - with the MOMO e-brake cover, you are NOT replacing the e-brake handle itself, just the plain, grey plastic cover.

**NOTE 2 - You do not need to remove your console to do this. Only your armrest if you've installed one (as I did) as you need to get in there and the arm rest blocks your access.

STEP1 - remove the old boot. It just pulls up, not attached to anything, so pull away, it looks like this when it's out:

STEP2 - get a hacksaw and start cutting away the old plastic cover on the e-brake handle. (NOTE - Other sites for other cars, said you can just yank it off if you pull real hard, still others suggested that heating the glue with a hairdryer gets it loose enough to pull it off - on my xD, not a chance. The thing was glued like crazy, like every square millimeter was solid glue. All I could do was resort to a hacksaw and essentially carving it off, bit by bit as if it were meat off of a drumstick.)

This is the point of no return, but don't give up, it's a real pain and took about an hour, but I think it's way worth it.

**NOTE - Also, be extra careful not to nick up your console while you're at it. Mine got a couple of nicks from an errant hack, but luckily nothing that's noticeable

**NOTE 2- the original factory release button is still used, DO NOT REMOVE THAT - it just sticks out the end of the MOMO cover.

When you are done, it will look like this:

STEP3 - Put your new MOMO leather boot cover on. It just slides down and I stuffed it into the space under the console. They give you velcro and so on, but there's nothing to attach it to. Just stuff it in. It's way bigger than you need and all the extra just stuffs in around the edges.

STEP 4 - This is the tricky part. The essential problem is that the MOMO brake cover has more space on the inside than your scrawny little metal handle can take up. In theory that's why you buy the appropriate MOMO ADAPTER which is supposed to fix that problem. Well it didn't. I got the A6 adapter according to some chart that I saw for Scions but it didn't fit. So I had to adapt one myself. Fortunately I had read that someone else on another model car had the same problem and used a bit of plastic hose to place around the metal handle. I opted for good old duct tape. I ended up just using some of the plastic remains of the old carved up handle and duct taped them back on so that the new MOMO cover felt snug and didn't have any play. I then screwed in the little screws that MOMO gives you, don't go too far in! Just enough to make it snug. Thus is this final note or caution...

**NOTE - You should experiment as you carve off the old cover and not remove as much of the original cover as I did, just get it down enough to get your new cover to fit over it, but not jiggle too much. The screws MOMO gives you will do the rest.

STEP 5 - Momo proves a little metal fitting at the tip of the boot that snuggly slides over the base of the handle, for a seamless look. Slide it on and you are done!

Good luck!
It's a bit of work, a tad funky in the interim stage, but worth it!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man i gotta say it looks pretty nice. Great job
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM
SL Member

that looks pretty sick
Old 02-09-2010, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice write up, I'll be doing this pretty soon (actually surprised I havnt already). I already have MOMO shift ****, shift boot, pedals and the aluminum floor mats, and been wanting to do this part, just hadnt gotten around to it yet. Glad someone else took the first blow =p
Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice job. I'm impressed you got a hacksaw that close to those leather seat covers with no other damages than a few scratches on your console.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM

Yeah, actually, by the time I resorted to the hacksaw I was getting pretty exasperated and wasn't being as careful as I would have been had I started out with it.