Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Question - Replacing OEM/Stock Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Question - Replacing OEM/Stock Battery

Hello Group,

I am looking to replace my stock Panasonic 225 CCA Factory Battery in my 2012 Scion XD with something much larger and I would like to ask a question.

What is the largest size battery in diamentions and Battery series number (ie 27, 31,34,35) that anyone has able to be fit into that small space under the hood where the original battery was?

My stock battery is approx 9 inches long, 6 3/4 wide, and 8 inches high.

Some replacement batteries are as long as 10 and 12 inches long. Dont know if those will fit and how important it is for the battery to fix inside the battery tray or just on top of it.

I am considering two different battery manufactuers. Optima and Interstate batteries. I am looking for something offered in a dual post and dual application (ie deep cycle/starting).

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...etop/specs.php

http://www.interstatebatteries.com

Please note that my question is not a debate on what manufacturer makes the better battery. I am just trying to get an idea as to how large of a battery will fit in this car and what others have done with theirs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any particular reason you want a physically larger battery in the car? Plus why deep cycle? Those are really not a good idea to use as they are killer on alternators. I have a Optima Yellow top replacement size in mine and it works fine supplying a 2k watt stereo system.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why a larger battery than stock? Because I have always beleived in having extra capacitiy regardless of whether or not I need it or it's thought to be overkill. Having extra is always better than not enough or just enough. All of my vehicles "until now" have always been fitted with an 800 to 1000 CCA battery (Interstate Brand), however most my vehicles (General Motors) were able to easily accomadate the 12 inch long batteries. Now that I have this XD, I do not beleive that my XD will accomadate a battery that large. So that is the reason I am asking what the largest is that others have been able to fit into the Scion XD. I'd like to learn more on what other XD owners have done so far.

The reason for deep cycle is that I have electrical devices that will be powered up and operating when the car is shut off. So I need a battery that will accomadate powering those devices for long periods of time while the car is shut off and not being charged.

So tell me guys, What is the largest size battery that will fit in an XD WITHOUT physically modifying the car?

Doug
Old 07-23-2012, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More CCA doesnt necessarily mean a larger case does it? It usually means the same size case but more money to get more lead inside it.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Larger capacity is not generally related to larger size. If you go with a deep cycle battery and run it down often you are going to kill your alternator. In your situation, I would add a second battery and use an isolator so you aren't charging the second deep cycle with your alt. You would have to use a battery charger to charge it up.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys disregard my original question. I will figure something out.

Doug