Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Aftermarket support! Group Project

Old 09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
SL Member

hey dont get me wrong, if you like it great. the point is, the market for the car is guys my age, he is wanting companies to make stuff for the xd, we usualy dont like those sort of mods. thats all i am saying.

now i hope they do make everything under the sun for the xd. i just wont be buying most of it. if you do, thats great, i love your passion, and workmenship. just dont blast me because i dont agree with your tastes..
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just to tack some info on:

Please only e-mail companies if you are genuinely interested in a product. If 500 people e-mail, and they only end up selling 10 pieces... they won't be as receptive to this type of request in the future.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Zefoxe, no offense man but honestly I've already tried that route. I know of a few companies with things in development... TRD (still testing roots-type supercharger from what I hear at work), Tanabe, Tein, Strupt, Magnaflow (whose exhaust should be out now), amongst others. The thing is this is STILL a new market for this particular engine/vehicle. Yes its been a year, but that still doesn't mean companies have had time to do the research. Our xD's aren't the only new vehicles that companies are building for. Not only that, but the xD and the 2ZR-FE engine is taking a move to the back burner while cars that already have a market get more/better products or products for their new line of cars. Don't forget, Scion is still a toddler in the market. Yes the tC has a GREAT lineup of aftermarket parts and so does the xB but thats because of how CHEAP they were! Not to mention the economy is in a steady fall so the people that DID have money for mods are losing it. Guys there are SO many more variables to the equation that you are not considering! I promise you as someone that works in a place that test damn near EVERY new part that comes out for the xD there are a MILLION reasons why they are not being made. And you guys wouldn't believe how many companies want to develop parts but can't afford it because there are not garaunteed at ALL any kind of market return because of things like the economy and the demographic of the xD. I'm not trying to seem like I'm blasting anyone here and I'm not trying to be negative but it takes a LOT more than 100 e-mails CLAIMING to be interested in developing a product. 99% of those companies want to see a CASH commitment.

Alright now I'm rambling, sorry... But the base of it is there are too many factors that go into and we just happen to be at the negative end on most of them.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So back to my plan...

1. Get with a trusted vendor

2. Have said company start talks with one of the requested manufacturers to see how many pre-orders are needed for it to go into dev/production

3. Get a price estimate (low and high) and ask for payment in the middle of that of X many people and set an approximate deadline for the manufacturer with clauses for extensions and all that great stuff.

4. Fund the company's R&D

5. Wait for it... wait for it...

6. Enjoy new product
We've done it before with the Solara (10 buyers for a 2AZ-FE header..., 15 buyers for y-pipe/catback for 1MZ-FE... amongst a few others)

I mean, it's still a long shot, but it's a way to get some simple mods going... although I don't know how many people really want a header... it's between the engine and firewall...

Small companies (ie like what ZPI did for the tC head/turbo/etc) are willing to do it. Large companies (ie Tein) may need multiple levels of approval and number crunching before starting new projects.

It's going to be a long road to get some parts out there... but it's a start.

So yea... let's start by getting a list of "What parts we want to see happen" and I can get a list of "Vendors to approach at SEMA". The ball can get rolling soon.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Everyone send a email to this company

Originally Posted by usmc7236Ret
The company below is a US based company that probably makes most of the aftermarket lights that the different retail outlets sell. Go directly to the source and target the manufactures.

CG Distribution
CG Distribution offers the best quality performance lighting products at the lowest cost.
info@cgdistribution.com
for general information about our products, customer services, find reseller and any other question regarding CG Distribution
I sent an email to this company, who I believe to be an aftermarket light manufacture, I will let you know the results.

P/S
I Pre-Ordered a Fujita CAI and have it installed so aftermarket support is coming it's just a little slow.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

I am sad to tell you all the HONEST TRUTH right now... Ok so some of you know that I work in this wonderful industry of aftermarket parts, but the sad truth is that most of these companies have already done all the R&D for the xD, I know this because I happened to be one of the cars that did alot of it! You have to figure that there haven't been to many on the road till very recently, so the market isn't there yet... Manufacturing a product costs a lot of $$, money that this industry doesnt have right now, everybody is hurting, shops and companies are going under everyday and you all, the public, dont ever hear about this stuff because bigger companies try to buy them up and rebuild them so that when this industry goes back up and it will, they will be the bigger based companies with a majority of the market. Also you have to fugure that SEMA is just around the corner so all projects and little stuff like manufacturing parts have come to a halt, after SEMA you will see more parts comming out in like November December, I know this for a fact, so just keep on saving and put some stuff down on your Christmas List and it will all turn out ok! There are parts out there though, its just that most Scion Owners are cheap and dont want to spend money on quality products... there are lip kits and exhaust's, lowering springs by Sprint Suspension and Tenabi and maybe Eibach and intakes for now can be made very easily, parts found at your local pepboys or autozone and systems, led lighting, wheels and tires and HIDs, all of this stuff can be found already you just need to look and call around. If you want just hit me up and I can help point you in the right direction for whatever it is that you all may want to do to your xd's and I will be more than happy to help, I have always said that and only a few have come to me with questions and all have left happy, so just hit me up and I will talk to you all later.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got a good start, NST is finally giving us our Pulley set ( You guys rock NST ), Fujita has a good designed Intake, Fidanza is supposed to be coming out with a flywheel soon, H&R released their springs, TYC released their tail lights, and I'm still looking into possible sharing of suspension compenents with the Vitz RS in Japan.

One thing I would like is possibly a 2/3 point strut brace for the front thats actually functionable, kinda like the one for the new Civic SI. We definately need a Cat-back exhaust system to kill off the garden hose of an exhaust. We also should push TRD for a Supercharger cause that torque would boost the xD beautifully.

As for not many xDs on the road, at the local dealers, xDs and Yaris are hard to come by these days in comparison to the tCs that are sitting on the lots. Somebody is buying them

I got the same message from Zeta too. Except he said he was going to mention and look into development in my message.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of the Vitz RS items will fit. We'll be requesting C-One to test fit since they have tons of Vitz RS chassis parts.

From what I last heard, TRD did not have any plans to supercharge the 2ZR engine. I'll e-mail the man and see if they had any change of heart.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
Got a good start, NST is finally giving us our Pulley set ( You guys rock NST ), Fujita has a good designed Intake, Fidanza is supposed to be coming out with a flywheel soon, H&R released their springs, TYC released their tail lights, and I'm still looking into possible sharing of suspension compenents with the Vitz RS in Japan.

One thing I would like is possibly a 2/3 point strut brace for the front thats actually functionable, kinda like the one for the new Civic SI. We definately need a Cat-back exhaust system to kill off the garden hose of an exhaust. We also should push TRD for a Supercharger cause that torque would boost the xD beautifully.

As for not many xDs on the road, at the local dealers, xDs and Yaris are hard to come by these days in comparison to the tCs that are sitting on the lots. Somebody is buying them

I got the same message from Zeta too. Except he said he was going to mention and look into development in my message.
Just got off the phone with the Magnaflow rep, they say catback is in production, look for it after SEMA. Last I heard TRD already had R&D on the 2ZR and wasn't ready for release yet, this is coming from a Toyota exec (I know they are "different" companies) that keeps in close contact with Southeast Toyota
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

DC Sport had the exhaust, sold out, the rest of them will be out after SEMA along with there header, both of them together are a nice combo!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i emailed TRD about a supercharger kit, and they said to check back in about 6 months for an update... not sure if that is good or bad news, lol. I know blitz makes a supercharger kit for the xA/B and yaris, so thats another place we could try - a supercharger kit would be amazing, whether its from TRD or blitz, or whoever. Id really wish that intake manifold from dynatek didnt dead end like it did... but maybe another company can pick up on that.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The e-mail to the generic TRD 'info line' won't yield any proper results. They are trained to answer basic warranty/function questions. Occassionally you'll luck out with someone that's actually sitting in from the Dev team, but it's VERY rare.

I just sent my contact an e-mail in regards to the, hopefully, upcoming 2ZR charger. He's always straight with the answers, so we'll get a good reply. I'm just hoping the pricing is inline with where the xD is on the Scion pricing... cheapest of the 3 LOL!!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I wish someone would make a bracket so that I can take the back seat out, make two bucket seats, and then use the space in between to mount subs...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM
AlphaSquad
SL Member

That is a great idea, be the 1st to do it, customize it and claim it as your own, market it and sell it, great ideas make $$
Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea thats a good idea, my only concern is being able to see out the rear window with taller rear seats
Old 09-12-2008, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my parts database so far:

Exhaust Department:
PrecisionMuffler [Axleback]
TRD [Axleback]
Tanabe [Axleback]
In development / Queue
Greddy [Catback?]
DCSports [Catback/Headers]
Dynatek [Racing Exhaust]

Intake Department:
F5 Fujita [Cold Air]
TRD [Drop In]
K&N [Drop In]
Weapon R [Short Ram]

Engine Bolt On Department:
TRD [CF Engine Cover]
In Development / Queue
NST [Pulley Kit]
Dynatek [Intake Manifold]

Forced Induction Department:
In Development / Queue
TurboToyots [Turbo]

Suspension Department:
Ingalls [Engine Torque Damper (Currently Investigating)]
C-One [Suspension Reinforcement Bars (Currently Investigating)]
BeatRush [See above]
H&R Sport [Springs]
Tanabe [Springs/Strut Brace]
eBay [Wheel spacers]
TRD [Brake Pads/Struts/Springs]
In Development / Queue
Tein [Coilovers]

Exterior Department:
FiveAxxis [Lip kit]
DAMD [Lip kit]
Seibon [CF Hood]
Extreme Dimensions [CF Hood/Hatch]
Toyota [Ist Emblems/Ist Rainguards/Chrome Door Handles]
TYC [Taillights]
Scion Optimize [Fog Lights]
In Development / Queue
AIT Racing [Body Kit]

Interior Department:
Garage 1217 [LED Conversions]
eBay [Door Pocket Inserts]

Thats all I can think of. PM if theres more I missed.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zefoxe
Yea thats a good idea, my only concern is being able to see out the rear window with taller rear seats
I was actually thinking more along the lines of modifying another set of front seats out of another xD... That thought crossed my mind about the taller seats...
Old 09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratch the s/c from the list (for now).

Jeffery , good morning ! At this time there are no plans to do a 2ZR supercharger , sorry . See you at SEMA.
We have a parts advisory meeting @ SEMA. We'll see if there's an update there. With the current state of TRD S/Cs, it's very unlikely for a new one to emerge, even if it fits tons of vehicles (Matrix, Corolla, xD, Yaris 5-door hatch-i think?)

If the market emerges, TRD may reconsider, but nothing is "in-dev" atm. Don't even think of the "e-mail them enough ..." strategy. Since Toyota is running TRD now, all the numbers are crunched before anything is pursued... especially when other superchargers had a hard enough time being approved to R&D.

Hopefully something comes up though.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seibon has a CF hood for the xD.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS