Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

How to restore matte finish to dashboard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 02:23 AM

Default How to restore matte finish to dashboard?

While my 2013 xD was in the body shop having repairs done to it, the mechanic accidentally put a small scrape on the top of the dashboard behind the steering wheel. He attempted to buff it out with god knows what, but only ended up "polishing" the spot instead. So now the small spot that he polished looks completely out of place considering the rest of the dash is a matte finish.

Question is, is there anyway to restore the matte look to that spot without causing any additional damage?
Old 03-22-2013, 03:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oil and grease remover, some soap and warm water, either should help get rid of the shine
Old 03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. Gave it a try using soap and warm water, but it didn't really seem to make any difference. I don't know what this guy used when he was trying to get the scrape out, but it seems to me that it was likely a very fine abrasive, thus the polished shine to the small area.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he owes you a new dash.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM

Heh, yeah I was sorta thinking that myself. Granted, it's a very small spot (about an inch or so) but its dead center on top of the dash hump that's right behind the steering wheel, so it's staring you right in the face every time you get in the driver's seat.

Honestly, I've had nothing but issues with the dealership since day one about three weeks ago concerning damage that occurred on their lot. So, I'm no stranger to the general manager at this point. When I mentioned I'd like to have the dash replaced because of the scrape up top, he recommended against it because the replacement process would likely cause more damage to to the rest of the interior than it was worth. All I heard was "We don't want to drop $400 on a new dash because of a small scrape."

Problem is, I'm OCD with stuff like that. Should I keep pushing the dealership, or should I just let it go?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The dash is extremely easy to replace, I pulled mine out when I did my stereo install. If I can do it in less than 30 minutes with my brother without making a single scratch on the dash, I would hope a pair of certified technicians would be able to do it in the same amount of time
Old 03-22-2013, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Barfalamu
The dash is extremely easy to replace, I pulled mine out when I did my stereo install. If I can do it in less than 30 minutes with my brother without making a single scratch on the dash, I would hope a pair of certified technicians would be able to do it in the same amount of time
I believe you. Like I said, I'm sure they just don't want to drop the cash on a new upper-dashboard over something so small. Thus far, they have had to remove and repaint the rear bumper and rear passenger-side door panel for marring and denting that occurred to the car on their lot. I've been pretty damn **** about it thus far, to the point of having them redo the door panel twice because the first job was amateur, and they still can't get it right.