Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Looking at the xD

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IMO I would seriously consider the Fiesta over an xD.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same price more power
Old 06-12-2010, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its nice. but if it was battle of the hatchbacks I would get a mazdaspeed 3 over fiesta lol
Old 06-12-2010, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xD_kidd91
its nice. but if it was battle of the hatchbacks I would get a mazdaspeed 3 over fiesta lol
I would hope so, you're comparing a 15K car to a 23K car.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

BTW I never owned an xA but I did test drive a few. IMO the xD is more solid all the way around and of course more power. The engine does have to work as hard to pull the car around town and the doors actually thud when you close them.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i rolled my 2009 xD on new years day. outside looked destroyed. inside, if you sat in it, besides the shattered windshield and missing passenger window, you couldn't tell it was wrecked. it even still ran!!!!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone look at the new Chevy Aveo's? I like the exterior restyling ALOT. They dont look like deer ticks on wheels anymore. But I havent really looked into them other than seeing a few on the road and liking the redesign.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do want to drive to Fiesta, I like that car as well and it already has aftermarket parts to make it better. I do feel that is going to be a very popular car. Which leads me to believe that there dealers will be less inclined to negotiate on the sticker price or maybe they will try to sell above MSRP. I don’t care how good of a car it may be but I’ll never pay more that the sticker price. With Toyota and Scion struggling as of late I think I may have more leverage to get a better price. I did more research and now I feel as if my car may be worth more money than I thought. My doors thud when I close them I have plenty of eDead that takes care of that . The Mazda 3 is nice but to me it’s definitely in another price bracket. No disrespect on the Chevy but I would rather walk than drive a Chevy.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sefi
Anyone look at the new Chevy Aveo's? I like the exterior restyling ALOT. They dont look like deer ticks on wheels anymore. But I havent really looked into them other than seeing a few on the road and liking the redesign.
Heads up! I know the previous generation was made by GM/Daewoo. I remember getting preapproved for a loan 7 to 10 years back, and one of the stipulations was that I could not get a Daewoo
(not that I wanted one).
The car I wanted when I was thinking of buying a car was a Suzuki Swift, but they never came out. They were speculated to come to the US in 2010, but that has come and gone. I love my XD, enjoy driving it, and I still get complements on it. Good luck and don't talk yourself into buying something you don't want.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One more thing. The Fiesta is nice, but if you want the hatchback it cost ~2Gs more over the sedan. Also the Mazda 2 is coming out and is based on the same chassis as the Ford Fiesta. Food for thought anyhow. If you wait around Christmas, Ford might be more inclined to deal because most people are worried about buying presents not a car. But then again because it is considered a 2011 car so they wont be trying to move last years inventory.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm a hatchback man all the way. The only coupe I like is an Audi Coupe GT which I owned a long time ago. Not sure but maybe I'll try a different dealer today and see if I can drive an xD or head to the Honda dealer and drive a Fit with a manual transmission.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by andrewjc
I do want to drive to Fiesta, I like that car as well and it already has aftermarket parts to make it better. I do feel that is going to be a very popular car. Which leads me to believe that there dealers will be less inclined to negotiate on the sticker price or maybe they will try to sell above MSRP. I don’t care how good of a car it may be but I’ll never pay more that the sticker price. With Toyota and Scion struggling as of late I think I may have more leverage to get a better price. I did more research and now I feel as if my car may be worth more money than I thought. My doors thud when I close them I have plenty of eDead that takes care of that . The Mazda 3 is nice but to me it’s definitely in another price bracket. No disrespect on the Chevy but I would rather walk than drive a Chevy.
I doubt Ford dealers will go over MSRP, this is a cheap echo car not a limited edition Cobra Mustang. Also Scion cannot adjust the price of new cars as it is set by Toyota.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yesterday I was able to go to a different dealer and drive the xD. It was an automatic but I was happy to finally drive it anyway. I was able to take the same route as when I drove the Fit last week so I could make a better comparison of the two. I have to say I was really impressed with the Scion. It drove better than Fit in terms of acceleration, handling, and ride quality. The xD just feels like more like a driver’s car than the Fit. One of my gripes with the xD is the interior, there is no color at all it just seems boring. It’s like the designer’s at Toyota just wanted to rush it out the door. The xD’s interior can be configured and many ways but the Fit sets the high water mark right now in terms of overall design. I did walk away from the test drive scratching my head. Why is Scion not selling more of these cars? Is it just the appearance of the car? Or is it the Toyota recall issue scaring people away from the dealership? Is the Yaris siphoning sales away from Scion? I just don’t feel as if the xD is getting the credit it deserves. I have taken the Fit off my list of contenders and will wait to drive the Ford Fiesta.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Between the Ford Fiesta(1.6L) and the Mazda 2(1.5L), the Ford has 12hp more and gets better mpg than the Mazda 2 though they share the same chassis. Also the Fiesta has 12.4 gallon tank which is bigger than the Scion XD. The automatic in the XD is only a 4 speed while the auto in the Fiesta is a 6 speed. Now if you look a resale value between all three in general, it should be Scion, Mazda, then Ford.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
Between the Ford Fiesta(1.6L) and the Mazda 2(1.5L), the Ford has 12hp more and gets better mpg than the Mazda 2 though they share the same chassis. Also the Fiesta has 12.4 gallon tank which is bigger than the Scion XD. The automatic in the XD is only a 4 speed while the auto in the Fiesta is a 6 speed. Now if you look a resale value between all three in general, it should be Scion, Mazda, then Ford.

the auto in the xD is listed as a 4 speed, but it is actually a 5 speed. read my statement above regarding this.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

car sales are regional. i see lots of xD where I live. quite the opposite of the xA. people used to complain the xA didn;t have enough power and was too small. but yet, there are/were craploads of Echoes driving around. same damn car. Yaris 3 door too. they are everywhere. So it had to be design. it was too japanese. I still think the xD handles as good as some say tho. too much play with the sway bar system they put in makes it soft in the front. car has terrible turn-in
Old 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may be able drive a manual xD this week. I plan on taking it on the highway and see how it performs. I really do not see any problems. The xD seems to be better than the xA in almost every way. Resale is not a big of an issue to me, reliability is. The xD seems to have a respectable track record. I can't say that about the Ford also there is the difference in price.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
the auto in the xD is listed as a 4 speed, but it is actually a 5 speed. read my statement above regarding this.
And read my statement above regarding how you are wrong and it is a 4 speed.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would jst get a kia forte sedan then and its only about 12.5k lol
Old 06-13-2010, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I almost bought a Kia Spectra 5 but went with xA instead. I think I made the right choice then.