Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Road force wheel balancing! It should be worth it!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Road force wheel balancing! It should be worth it!

ive been feeling vibration in my steering wheel, the dealer dint feel it, they recommended i did something called a "road force wheel balance",its $96.00 plus tax,apparently its supposed to get rid of any vibration that is caused by wheel and tires not being 100% balanced,i found this quote on another website(underneath)

"RoadForce balancing will be more expensive. The Machine costs about 10x more than a traditional balancer and the amount of time to do it properly is significantly more. However, when you can't get rid of an annoying vibration or you want to avoid that problem all together; it is money well spent. No tire or wheel are perfectly round. When you use a traditional balancer it just tells you where the heavy spot is and where to put the weight to counteract. It still doesn't make the assembly round. What the Road Force does is tell you the high spot of the tire and low spot of the wheel and allow you to match together, making the most round assembly possible. It will also let you know if the tire has been mounted properly on the wheel. Many vibration issues are caused by a mismount. What this means is that the tire has not been mounted properly on the wheel. No matter how hard you try to balance this on a traditional tire machine you will still experience a vibration because the tire and wheel assembly is essentially an egg shape. What a shop will do in this situation is rotate the tire 90 degress and then 180 degrees until they get a decent amount of weight, but this still does not mean it is mounted properly. Just means they have gotten the weight as low as possible. I always maintain you can balance a rock, but it will never be round."

hopefully the little bit of vibration in my XD will be gone after this "road force balance"

i will keep everyone posted! wish me luck!