Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Is it worth going out of your way for 100% gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Is it worth going out of your way for 100% gas?

I know some stations around here still say they sell only gasoline that is not an E10 mix. My vehicle is not setup for flex fuel so I was wondering is their any benefit to running the pure gasoline vs just using the E10 most stations around here sell?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't checked it myself, by my hubby says that you get worse mileage with the ethanol mix.
How much worse? I'm not sure.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

ethanol has less energy density than gasoline, so you get slightly less mileage with it. The offset is that alcohol acts as an octane booster, so if the car is equiped like the E85 compatible ones, it can advance the timing to get that power back.

Also, ethanol can absorb water, so if you're not driving it for a while, use the 100% gas or get a stabilizer when you store it. I have to do this when putting up the motorcycle for the winter or the steel tank can start to rust.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure someone with a background in chemistry could do a better job with this, but just from tracking my mileage (I live on the Iowa border, so I go back and forth between 10% ethanol and straight gas and I always track my fuel economy):
10% ethanol blend seems to get me about 1 - 1.5mpg less than straight gas in my xD. I usually get right around 40 - 42mpg, so this is a 2.5% - 3.5% drop in fuel economy.

Maybe it's less of a hit than that, as there are a lot of factors that affect gas mileage, but it's been a fairly consistent difference for me.

This means the straight gas is worth buying for a minimal price difference. In my area, it's usually a tossup. If straight gas is $4/gallon and 10% ethanol blend is $3.88, the ethanol is 3% cheaper.

vettereddie is correct about the water issues -- ethanol doesn't store as well as straight fas. He's also correct that ethanol stores less potential energy than gasoline, and about the octane rating. However, octane is basically a measure of how easily the fuel ignites and even automatically advancing the timing accordingly will not regain all of the lost power.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by L337R3dN3k
I'm sure someone with a background in chemistry could do a better job with this, but just from tracking my mileage (I live on the Iowa border, so I go back and forth between 10% ethanol and straight gas and I always track my fuel economy):
10% ethanol blend seems to get me about 1 - 1.5mpg less than straight gas in my xD. I usually get right around 40 - 42mpg, so this is a 2.5% - 3.5% drop in fuel economy.

Maybe it's less of a hit than that, as there are a lot of factors that affect gas mileage, but it's been a fairly consistent difference for me.

This means the straight gas is worth buying for a minimal price difference. In my area, it's usually a tossup. If straight gas is $4/gallon and 10% ethanol blend is $3.88, the ethanol is 3% cheaper.

vettereddie is correct about the water issues -- ethanol doesn't store as well as straight fas. He's also correct that ethanol stores less potential energy than gasoline, and about the octane rating. However, octane is basically a measure of how easily the fuel ignites and even automatically advancing the timing accordingly will not regain all of the lost power.
And just to be clear to those who do not already know... the higher the octane, the less easily the fuel will ignite. That's why high compression engines require high octane gas... so that the heat of compression will not preignite the fuel/air mixture (aka "knocking"). Most methods of increasing octane actually reduce the amount of power in the fuel. So, in lower compression engines (like ours) you should get slightly better fuel economy and power with regular gas than with premium. There are other factors involved... and the difference is quite small.