Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

High pitch Noise after lowering HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default High pitch Noise after lowering HELP!

I am a little worried here . I recently lowered my xD with DFs. I did it my self, it took me a long time, but I did it. So After taking the car for a test drive I notice a High pitch noise coming from the front side of the car. The noise sounds like after a concert u hear a "beeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in ur ear from the loud music. The noise comes on when I'm going strait around 25-45 mph and when I slightly step on the gas. I don't hear the noise when I am on the freeway. I have been researching and some posts say that it might be that nuts might be loose, others say that are the brake pads. Has anyone else had this problem or had a similar problem. Please Help.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To check both take off the wheel and see if the screamer (metal clip between your caliper and brake pad) is touching the rotor. Put the wheel on and tighten down the lugs. Usually the brakes don't squeal unless you're applying brake. Another thing it could be is your wheel bearings or CV boot.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll check today. O
Old 06-26-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nateson
To check both take off the wheel and see if the screamer (metal clip between your caliper and brake pad) is touching the rotor. Put the wheel on and tighten down the lugs. Usually the brakes don't squeal unless you're applying brake. Another thing it could be is your wheel bearings or CV boot.

YES!! Problem solved thanks to Nateson I took off the front two wheels and checked the metal plate between the rotor and caliper, and notice that it was touching a little bit, just enough to make that annoying sound. And while I was at it fixing stuff I decided to recheck the rear springs too cuz they made noise too not as annoying as the high pitch one but they made a little noise. So I re-adjusted the springs in the right place and NO MORE ANNOYING SOUNDS!!!! It sounds like before I installed the springs. THANKS
Old 06-26-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool beans, stay safe! Oh also if the screamer is touching the rotor that's an indication of low pads, so you might need to get new brake pads.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm curious... If your brake pads are worn to the point of needing replacement, how many miles do you have on your xD?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my de has only about 9000 miles the problem was not that the brake pads were bad my problem was that when I was putting the sprins I was holding to the rotor and the screamer and bend it a little and that was causing the screamer to tuch the rotor. Buy I don't know how often u have to change the brake pads.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha. I was kinda thinking that was what happened. I doubt there are many xD's on the road that have needed pads yet. Some people are really hard on their brakes, though... it cracks me up when I see people hitting their brakes all the time. Digital driving: Foot on the gas, or foot on the brake! Those people get the double whammy -- poor fuel economy and they need brake pads/rotors more often!

On my last car (VW Golf), I replaced the original front pads at 126,000 miles.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dam! That's a long time. yeah my brake pads looked in good condition When I checked for that annoying sound. I got to change my driving habits though. I get poor millage. Like 280 each full tank. I got to slow down. I just love the sound of the intake and muffler.