Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Lowering springs and warranty

Old 07-25-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Lowering springs and warranty

Alright, so lets beat a dead horse a little.

I know that adding lowering springs to my car will not void the warranty as per the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act. However, I was wondering if any one has added lowering springs to their car, had their shocks fail and then taken it to the dealer and had their shock warranty refused?

Im most likely going to use TRD springs just beucase I trust the name and most springs tend to be the same price for quality parts. Im looking for an inch or so lower.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, they would obviously not warranty the shocks if you used lowering springs other than TRD because there could easily be a direct correlation between the lowering springs being install and the shocks failing, meaning that it was not manufacturer defect.

also, shocks are a wear and tear item, so they have minimal warranty as it is.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 AM

Eh at that point I might as well use the Tanabes. I was looking for 2" of lowering but I wanted to stick with the TRDs which only give you 1 to 1.5 I think. The only concern I have is that I might pick up the Five-Axis lip kit and I dont want to drag the air dam on the ground or speed bumps...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Having worked for a few dealerships' service departments, if a related non-factory, non-dealership installation of an item fails, or causes a connected or related (covered) item to fail, than the said item would not be replaceable under the factory warranty.

Examples:

1) Replace the spring(s) at an outside shop; struts/shocks fail, the struts/shocks are excluded from coverage. You pay for it.

2) Replace the spring(s), it causes the strut to fail. Body is damaged, control arm bent. No items are covered, due to a failed part or improper workmanship of installation. You pay for it.

3) Replace the spring(s), but two weeks later, the radio fails to operate within the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Radio is covered by warranty (unless an idiot messed around with the wiring harness). The radio's function (or lack there of) has nothing to do with the suspension changes.

Basically, a warranty uses a "knee-bone-connected-to-the-leg-bone" method of causation, but less scrupulous dealerships may use a post hoc ergo propter hoc method of analysis, so be aware, but discuss any disagreements with the shop manager/director or shop foreman.

Last edited by Tracompa3; 08-12-2009 at 01:39 PM.