Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Suspension Rattle

I changed my shocks to the tokico blues, and ever since there has been a really bad rattle coming from the front shocks when i drive at low speeds (around 20mph). i can even feel the rattle in the clutch peddle when i press it down. i saw on here that this has happened to some of yall also and yall said to change out the sway bar end links, and so i did that, but it is still rattling just like before. any help would be so greatly appreciated.

thank you
Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the noise is more like a grinding sound. i have checked and tightened all of the bolts in the wheel well, but have not yet looked at the top of the strut under the hood. i am begining to wonder if it is the assembly of the shock and spring together. i have done many suspension jobs in the past, but maybe i forgot to tighten something or put something back together wrong this time. But as i said before the sound is alot more like a grinding noise than it is a tapping noise.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XLR8R
the noise is more like a grinding sound. i have checked and tightened all of the bolts in the wheel well, but have not yet looked at the top of the strut under the hood. i am begining to wonder if it is the assembly of the shock and spring together. i have done many suspension jobs in the past, but maybe i forgot to tighten something or put something back together wrong this time. But as i said before the sound is alot more like a grinding noise than it is a tapping noise.

iv got the same problem on the drivers side. was going to replace my springs but ran out of time so we put everything back and torqued everything but now i have this noise and have no idea whats causing it.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the noise has reduced since i changed out my end links, but it still happens every now and the. the old end links seamed to have very lose joints on them so i figured that was the problem, but the more i hear it the more it seams like it is coming from the top of the strut. im just not sure though and i hate having this imperfection on my car.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XLR8R
the noise has reduced since i changed out my end links, but it still happens every now and the. the old end links seamed to have very lose joints on them so i figured that was the problem, but the more i hear it the more it seams like it is coming from the top of the strut. im just not sure though and i hate having this imperfection on my car.

yeah i know i hate it. im getting all new struts soon gonna go with kyb and what end links did you get? i was looking into getting moog.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my end links were just oem replacements that i found on ebay. 26 bucks for the set. best deal i found.

more info on this would be great if anyone has some more advice about this problem.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really? no more word on how i can fix this? nobody knows anything about it?
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I replaced my end links with the Moog's. They are more expensive but they are a better end link.

The rattle I was experiencing was the strut hats rattling in the body housing. Once the new end links where put in, it positioned the hats better in the body and didnt allow for them to hit the body. Your problem sounds different. Sounds like it metal to metal scraping. The only thing I can think of, is the shield in the back of the brake rotors, which I think you would of noticed and corrected.

Sounds like it may require a complete tear down and inspection of your work.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 PM

Same "sounding" problem on my 2010 xD (excruciating rattle that sounds like front end going to fall off that you could feel in the steering and through the floor).... finally turned out to be completely corroded bolt (corroded right through...in two pieces!) holding steering assembly to front suspension crossover sub-assembly; the steering unit was loose and moving around...took an independent garage to find and fix...BAD BAD Toyota Svc Dept...they looked at it repeatedly and said the problem could not be found...even keeping it for 3 days and taking a close look said they found nothing...this should be looked into by NTSB....$650 repair but car is completely quite now. Just waiting for my other xD to have the issue...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-13-2018 at 01:24 AM. Reason: typo