Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

xD Rear Spacer Shims Install w/PICS ~ Now Available ~

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Default xD Rear Spacer Shims Install w/PICS ~ Now Available ~

Ok, here is the xD spacer shims I was telling you about that I was having Randy (Randode.com) make for the xD's...He used my car for the prototype and today we got around to installing the 10mm one...These are waterjet cut from 6061-T6 aluminum.

We did a step by step write up on the installion process just to show how easy these things are to install...Took us all of 30 minutes, and that included taking pictures...Anyways, I took my 18X8 35offset Axis Decades to a 25offset and man they sit FLUSH! Can't wait for my Tanabe DF210's to arrive...

Ok, so we forgot to take pics on the first side, and it went way too easy... so we took pics on the other side.

here is the spacer shim and hardware for 1 wheel.

before:

more before:

break the lug nuts loose, then jack up and support vehicle with jack stands.

remove the wheel to expose the brake drum.

make sure the parking brake is released and pull off the drum.

locate and remove the four hub bolts with a 14mm socket and ratchet.

locate the ABS sensor wire on the back of the hub. there is a plastic cover over the plug that must be removed to access the button on the bottom to release the plug.

at this point the hub can be removed.

pull the brake backing plate away from the axle flange and slide the spacer shim into place.

line up the shim and put the backing plate back into position, make sure it is the right way.

put some red loc-tite on the supplied bolts and bolt the hub back on. Leave the bolts loose until all four have been started. Torque to about 40 foot pounds.

plug the ABS sensor wire back onto the hub.

reinstall drum.

put the wheel back on, torque it down, and lower the car back to the ground.
stand back and admire your new wide stance.

Last edited by YELOSUB; 02-08-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: Please make this a sticky
Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Here are some more FUN shots I took...Man I wish I had coilovers...Looks sick when you can tuck...The Cube is Randy's that he just finished bagging...Of course he's not satisfied because it's not low enough, so he will cutting things eventually...

Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looking great Tim, the XD is turning out awesome
Old 10-05-2009, 05:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thank you sir
Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 AM
SL Member

hows the ride?
Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

The ride is still good (doesn't change the ride per se) with the TRD's and I still have ZERO rubbing issues but that may change when I switch over to the DF 210's and add my new stereo system...The stance is definately wider though... I love the flush/tuck look though so if I have to roll the fender later on down the line I will...To get the temporary tuck look, I partially centered the curb and put on the parking brake and gave it a little gas...I just wanted to see what it looked like...I love it, makes me wish I could afford coilovers...

Last edited by YELOSUB; 10-11-2009 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Tim, it looks good! I have to second that idea though, that you'll have to roll your fenders. I'm on DF210's now and have a fairly heavy system. 17x7.5s +35 on a 215/35 tire and I'm tuckin' 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. I don't have any rubbing issues, but I think with how flush those are you might have some when you drop it on 210s.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn those would be so much better than wheel spacers! I want some!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Edited your first post to remove pricing info. Either you or Randode will need to be a sponsor to sell these, sorry.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Ok no problem, I understand...

Last edited by ack154; 10-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, you can't do that either actually.

Anyone (including manufacturers, sponsors, and regular users):
- who sells the product and is not a sponsor may NOT provide a link to any website that sells the item or offer to sell the item privately via PM or email
Not trying to be a dick, but thems the rules:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/exclusive-sponsored-sales-1612/sponsored-sales-rules-revised-9-12-2012-a-3/
Old 10-05-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

looks great Tim.
10mm are now in stock. 5mm and 13mm coming soon.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Thanks again Randy...Awesome work as usual...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hmmm.... If those are the 10mm spacers, I wonder how 13mm spacers would look... If they poke out just a LITTLE bit, I think that would look pretty sweet on the xD, almost like a hot-rod go-kart. Plus, even just that little bit of 3mm more push out on the wheels I think will dramatically alter handling, not that it doesn't already...
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

DF210's arrive tomorrow and appointment with Randode for Sunday...Can't wait to get MOAR lower...I know it's gonna take a little while for the springs to settle...

Make sure to get your spacers so you can fix that gap if you got it and widen that stance...
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
DF210's arrive tomorrow and appointment with Randode for Sunday...Can't wait to get MOAR lower...I know it's gonna take a little while for the springs to settle...

Make sure to get your spacers so you can fix that gap if you got it and widen that stance...
Since you're gonna guinea pig it let us know if you have ANY rubbing issues in the back at all! If you don't I may get the 10mm and wait until those Raceland coilovers are in and I can flatten out the ride...
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Since you're gonna guinea pig it let us know if you have ANY rubbing issues in the back at all! If you don't I may get the 10mm and wait until those Raceland coilovers are in and I can flatten out the ride...
Will do...
Old 10-11-2009, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Well today Randode texted and asked if I wanted to do my springs today, on his birthday none the less...I was like are you sure and he said he loves to work on cars so bring it on over...So I couldn't pass it up and why not hang out with Randy on his birthday right...As you remember, earlier last week Randy installed 10mm spacer shims on the rear which brought the rear wheels out nice and FLUSH...Well, unfortunately like we might have suspected, these new springs are LOW and after a VERY SHORT test drive I rubbed everywhere, both sides...We tossed around the idea (more me than Randy) of grinding down the inner fender but decided just to remove the 10mm rear spacer shim and replace it with the 5mm spacer shim...Yes, this was alot of work but we were tag teaming both sides and getting pretty good at the xD's now...Well, a quick test drive proved that the 5mm was just a hair to much too and was rubbing on the right rear...After my test drive, a had a nice groove rubbed into the side of the tire...Tossed around the idea of grinding down the inner fender again but Randy talked me out of it and said to just remove the 5mm and go spacerless...So now i'm spacerless and I only rub on the right rear rear over large bumps, but its not the the inner fender I don't think...I can't thank Randy enough for doing this today, his birthday of all days...He is the man when it comes to installs and mods...Thanks again...

I think I will be able to make the spacers work when I change out my tires when they need replacing by going with a smaller tire with more of a stretch...Maybe some camber, who knows...Unfortunatley that won't be for a long time because they are somewhat new and wear very slowly...

Anyways here are the pics of the new stance versus the old stance...

New stance with Tanabe DF210's...2.2" drop rear/2.0" drop front

Front fender height from ground:

Rear fender height from ground:

Here is the vehicle on TRD springs with a 1.5" drop all the way around:

Name:  IMG_0116.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  158.0 KB

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dang... That really sucks man! Well, I guess I'll definatly be waiting on these till after I get a good set of coilovers...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Today, Randy (RANDODE) and I grinded my inner rear fenders down so I would not rub anymore...Grinded down to almost only 1/8 of an inch of inner lip left on each of the fenders...Put the 5mm spacers in and STILL rubbed with passengers but no rubbing with just me...Removed the 5mm spacers and ZERO rubbing so i'm gonna run spacerless until I can get new rubber and run a little stretch, then I will put the spacers back on...

Quick Reply: xD Rear Spacer Shims Install w/PICS ~ Now Available ~