Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

I need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 12:09 AM
SL Member

Angry I need help!!

I have a 2010 Scion xd that i completely love it! However, it has been parked for almost a year because it started acting as if one of the coil packs were going bad, so I replaced all of them and it was still losing all power when it got to a certain speed and acted as if it was not getting the fuel it needed. I replaced the fuel injectors and all the wires to it, still didn't work. I had no idea what to do so it's been parked. I have been told it was the fuel pump or the catalytic converter is dirty and it needed holes drilled in it to let the debris out. Also when i originally got the car a head gasket was supposedly replaced by one of the local garages around here and I don't know if they just rigged it or actually fixed it. I have been told that there is oil on the bottom of my spark plugs. I'm no mechanic so I have no idea what to do and I need to get it back on the road. Can anyone help me?
Old 05-25-2024, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Any chance it has thrown a CEL as that would at least give you an idea as to where to start looking instead of just 'shotgunning' parts at it in hopes that will fix it. How does it idle? What speed or RPM is are you at when it starts to lose power? Any pictures of the plug(s) to see what they look like?

And whomever it was who told you to drill holes in the catalytic converter to let the debris out is an idiot...cats don't just 'clean' themselves and it would either be clogged or the matrix could be melted, neither of which is going to be fixed by drilling holes in it.

Going to need a whole lot more to go on if someone is going to troubleshoot your issues over the interwebs...
Old 05-28-2024, 01:43 AM
SL Member

I can get you a pic of the plugs here in a couple of days it idles rough and the RPMs are at about 2500 and going about 45 or 50 mph. I have no idea about a CEL IDK what that is, as I said I'm no mechanic. I kinda figured that he was an idiot lol that's why I asked instead of jumping the gun.
Old 05-28-2024, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

CEL is short for 'Check Engine Light'. The CEL illuminates when you start your engine. If there are no malfunctions, the CEL turns off after approximately 3 seconds. If the CEL stays on, you have at least one emissions-related malfunction. Ask your friends and or a trusted mechanic if they have a diagnostic trouble-code reader. Is so, they'll know how to identify your particular codes and you'll have a better idea of what's wrong with your car. While the codes do not necessarily tell you which part(s) to replace, they identify malfunctioning circuit(s).

Although some trouble codes are not emissions-related and will not trigger the CEL, you can still identify potential code(s) with a diagnostic reader.