Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Crank No Start, No Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021, 08:55 PM

Default Crank No Start, No Fuel

Alright guys I'm stumped and need some help so I'm going to try to keep this short: I have a 2007 tc na 5spd. The issue started last fall when it was cold in the morning the car would crank(had a normal strong crank) but not start till the temp got past 50°f and the sun came out then it would start just fine with no codes no problems after about a month it got to where it just wouldn't start and diagnosis began fuses and relays(I swapped the starter and fuel pump relay) are good, plugs are new, checked spark on all coils had a very strong spark all around, since I thought this was a temperature related issue I changed the ambient air temp sensor and the ckp no change so I moved on to fuel: injectors didn't squirt, I replaced the fuel pump & strainer, fuel pressure regulator and the damper on the rail. Still no fuel, swapped rail and injector assembly with a known good set still nothing. I tested the 4 wires at the fuel pump; power and ground from the battery were reading as normal the signal and ground from the pcm were dead so running under the assumption that my issue was temperature related I had a friend crank the car while I used a heat gun around the pcm and wiggled wires at the same time. It finally started to sputter but not enough to run so I turned to wiring diagrams and found the wire running from the pcm to the fuel pump, inspected it and found it appeared to have a loose connection in the plug for the pcm, I unpinned the wire from the connector (that was mother bear and a half) replaced about a foot of that wire, soldiering and heat shrink my connections, put it all back together and it started and ran.... For about 6 miles then it died and hasn't restarted since I just put a new pcm in it from flagship one with no change, I also took my key apart to modify where the RFID chip sets since that seemed to be a common issue with replacement keys, no change and to verify I took the chip out and held it on the lock cylinder while I was cranking still no change. I'm sorry this is a long one but I am tapped out on options. At this point I'm open about any advice or suggestions, thank you for taking the time to read this and leaving a comment if you can.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Need more measurements and less parts swapping. That can lead to additional errors in system since so many aftermarket parts are bad right out of box. Recommend putting all original parts back in. Then...

1. When you're cranking, does ECM turn ON fuel-pump? Measure at output line at ECM itself. Then measure at fuel-pump connector at pump itself.

2. Measure resistance of ECT at room-temperature. Probe at ECM connector itself to verify wiring in between. Ohms = ???

3. Remove ECT and place into pot of boiling water for 5-min. Measure resistance of ECT. Ohms = ???