Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Airbag Light Resistor Fix (Aftermarket Seats)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Airbag Light Resistor Fix (Aftermarket Seats)

YES!!! I WIN!!!

DISCLAIMER

Yada yada I'm not responsible for anything that goes wrong. Nothing should . So let's do it!

What you'll need:

1. Aftermarket seats (previously having stock seats that had side airbags)
2. That annoying SRS light
3. 2 5-ohm resistors (or for my example, 4 10-ohm resistors) [1 5-ohm per side or 2 10-ohms per side]

WARNING!!! Make SURE while doing this that the (-) on the battery is UNPLUGGED! Never wanna mess with the SRS system with the battery still connected. Give the system a few minutes to discharge before you start working with it.

First, the harness we're working with, is the yellow one that is among the other ones that attached to the seatbelt sensors.

Take two 10-ohm resistors:

You'll need to put them in parallel, so take one and wrap its leads around the others like so:

Bend the lead combinations into a U shape:

Finally, plug the leads into the harnesses like so:

Secure with electrical tape (no pic) just so the resistors don't pop out down the road.

Voila! No SRS light:

Old 05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Good info. I know quite a few people looking for this!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

good work!
Old 05-19-2007, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

GOOD STUFF MAN, congrats!
Old 05-19-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on finally doing it man! I was watching your other thread detailing your misery of trying to fix it and figure it out! Bravo
Old 05-19-2007, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nice job!
Old 05-19-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow nice one dude
Old 05-19-2007, 06:35 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok a few questions. Does this just delete the light, or does it solve the problem? Is it the same fix on tCs with out the side airbags?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nick06tC
Ok a few questions. Does this just delete the light, or does it solve the problem? Is it the same fix on tCs with out the side airbags?
This tricks the system into thinking that the side airbag is still attached thus "fixing" the system (meaning the bags will deploy). The resistors being only 1/2 watt will simply burn up in the event of a deployment.

If you don't have the side airbags you shouldn't have this problem IF you reattach all the other things (seat belt harnesses/sensors). If you don't hook up the stock seat belt equipment then you will get the SRS light again. However, I do not have a fix for that as my Corbeau brackets have a mounting spot for the stock belt attachments (thus I could hook up the rest of the wires).
Old 05-21-2007, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by SF2K4
This tricks the system into thinking that the side airbag is still attached thus "fixing" the system (meaning the bags will deploy). The resistors being only 1/2 watt will simply burn up in the event of a deployment.

If you don't have the side airbags you shouldn't have this problem IF you reattach all the other things (seat belt harnesses/sensors). If you don't hook up the stock seat belt equipment then you will get the SRS light again. However, I do not have a fix for that as my Corbeau brackets have a mounting spot for the stock belt attachments (thus I could hook up the rest of the wires).
but the sensor for the stock seats are inside of the seats, and you would have to cut the seats open to get it out. then cut open your corbeaus to reattach the sensor. i am currently running a 5pt harness, so my air bag light is on, and i wont use the stock seat belt cause i dont wanna tamper with taking out the sensors from the stock seats.

any advise on that?

oh, and good job!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
Originally Posted by SF2K4

but the sensor for the stock seats are inside of the seats, and you would have to cut the seats open to get it out. then cut open your corbeaus to reattach the sensor. i am currently running a 5pt harness, so my air bag light is on, and i wont use the stock seat belt cause i dont wanna tamper with taking out the sensors from the stock seats.

any advise on that?

oh, and good job!
You mean the passenger side sensor? That reads whether or not someone is in the seat? You just pull the seat cover up a bit (the back cover) and you can slide your hand in to pull the sensor loose from the foam and then just pull it out. I pulled mine out and zip-tied the sensor's so that it always reads a passenger. Didn't want to put them in the new seats so this way I just ignore the blinking light (no biggy) and if someone is in the seat I'm good to go.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i meen the stock seats in general. so you can rip out the sensors in both the seats that easy? are the sensors just in the back portion of the seat (meaning where your back rest), or in the butt section of the seat? i might have to take a look at my seats and reconnect my air bags if thsi works out well
Old 05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrEaK_AwaY
i meen the stock seats in general. so you can rip out the sensors in both the seats that easy? are the sensors just in the back portion of the seat (meaning where your back rest), or in the butt section of the seat? i might have to take a look at my seats and reconnect my air bags if thsi works out well
Pull up the seatback cover so that you can get the sensors out from on TOP of the seat cushion foam. When you unplug the sensor you'll see ribbon wire going into the foam, just follow it and you'll figure it out. That's the passenger's side. The driver's side doesn't have those sensors, it has a magnetic seat-position sensor that you just stick to your new mounting bracket.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

iight kool. next time i go to my grandparents house (where my stock seats are), ill check it out and hopefully get my air bags working again.

thanks man
Old 05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its exactly like those "OMG 20HP CHIP $5" on ebay. they follow the same idea.. pretend something is plugged into your o2 sensor when there really isn't.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

except for this "chip" doesn't give you 20hp. stupid.

google up resistor mod and air bags and read up before you make a stupid comment.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hello,

I have been reading this thread and others and I'm confused...I think...but

On the driver side seat...All you need to do is plug in the black wire on the seat plug.

On the passenger side seat: you need to do the resistor mod and pull out the clear senor out and the put into new seat..

Please correct if I'm wrong..I want to get this right...
Old 08-27-2007, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

lol, when reading this all could think of was "sweet a way to turn that damn light off if i get new seats".
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did this and it didnt work...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Make sure its a 5ohm resistor, or 2 10ohm resistor and wire the 2 10s in parallel. Make sure the resistor is all the way in the YELLOW plug. I did it and it works fine for my car.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light Resistor Fix (Aftermarket Seats)