tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

HID Retrofit (Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I understand what you're saying. My worry would not be changing the bulb from burning out, rather from them breaking. These bulbs are very fragile (I already broke one before I even got half way finished with the install ) and with the roads around here, I see them getting broken before they would burn out.

And for me, I do drive a lot at night... as much as, if not more, during the day. I'm also worried about my bi-xenon solenoid since I drive with my hi beams on, but maybe my lights will be so bright I won't even need my hi beams!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bixenon. how are you going to wire that half up????

you probably also wont need your high beams much
Old 09-22-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also don't want to seal the ignitor in because i worry that i may have to change the bulb at some point before it dies from old age. but i guess if you silicone it'll be easy to remove when you have to. i may do that after i wash it this weekend to see how well it holds up. i'm pretty confident that i don't need to seal it up anymore than what i already did.

in regards to the bi-xenon, its not that difficult since the tc has separate wiring for high beams so you don't need a diode. but on a projector like the E46, you'll need to wire capacitors.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

As far as the bixenon wiring, I have a diagram from HIDPlanet to follow.

Hey maximus-
you have the CCFLs from Umnitza right? Did you wire it into a dimmer switch or just into your parking lights?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SassyScion
As far as the bixenon wiring, I have a diagram from HIDPlanet to follow.

Hey maximus-
you have the CCFLs from Umnitza right? Did you wire it into a dimmer switch or just into your parking lights?
no i acutally used a set for E46...they fit the E46 bezels pretty well. i wired to parking lights so they blink when i arm/disarm my alarm.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey maximus

did you splice your wiring or did you make a connector for the angle eyes. also did you know the e60 are using fiber optic angel eyes.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freeflowing
hey maximus

did you splice your wiring or did you make a connector for the angle eyes. also did you know the e60 are using fiber optic angel eyes.
i spliced it. i was going to rig up something to plug into the 194/168 socket, but decided to splice it and leave the empty socket plugged in to avoid water leaking in. what year is the E60? i never heard of that number, is it the new one? but all bmw angel eyes are fiber optic.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2005 BMW 5 series e60 and yes from what i understand they are going fiber optic
Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well ****...last night i took the car out after dark and saw condensation inside the passenger side light. it blocked most of the output to the ground on that side. the driver side is fine.

on sunday morning after i washed and dried the car, i didn't see any water getting inside the lights, but some water did get in the engine bay from the gap of the hood. that made me uncomfortable so i went and bought some weather strips from autozone to line the two sides of the hood.

i'm not sure what caused the condensation in the passenger side light. i have to see if it leaves any streaks or marks after it dries. it didn't rain yesterday, it was rather a very warm day. i'm thinking its because the car was parked outside all day at work, then i parked it in the garage when i got home at 6, the air inside the headlight was still warm compared to the cool air outside when i took it out at 8. i dunno, i have to research it on hidplanet now...
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm keep us updated maximus
Old 10-09-2005, 04:43 PM
Banned
SL Member

Sup man Nice job, I was just wondering are their different colors for that "Heat Resistant" paint or w/e you used? Silver would look like ____ on a Flint Mica.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Poison
Sup man Nice job, I was just wondering are their different colors for that "Heat Resistant" paint or w/e you used? Silver would look like poop on a Flint Mica.
duplicolor makes a whole bunch of color for their High Heat paint. i'm sure something will go well with a FM car.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member

Default Keychain

Hey, excellent job on the write-up!

One question though... Do you have a problem with the keyless entry remote flipping the headlights on and off when you unlock/lock the doors, or is the wear that that places on the bulbs negligible? I can't think of an easy way to re-wire that system unless there's a way to disable it...
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the alarm blinks the parking lights. i have a viper and it doesn't blink the headlights. the scion keyless entry blinks the signal lights. unless you got some other system your headlights shouldn't flash. you do NOT want your HID bulbs to turn on and off so fast. it kills the ballasts prematurely.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member

Well that's pretty strange!
The signals flash if you aren't changing the locks, but if I lock/unlock it, then the headlights stay on for maybe 5-10 sec.
This could turn into an interesting project...
Old 10-17-2005, 06:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

AWESOME PROJECT!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

THAT is UNBELIEVABLE!!! The best lighting project I HAVE EVER SEEN!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey maximus i have some questions about your eyebrows, in the pics it shows a clear bar with the white leds wired into it , is this bar part of the tc's headlight assembly thats underneath the clear brow that you removed in one of the first pics of you post,, or is this a seperate peice you bought somewhere else?, if so were did you get it? also what kind of leds are you using in your brows. thanks.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just made that bar out of acrylic curtain rods from homedepot...$2 for a 3' piece, heat and bend into shape. i just used plain 3mm white led, i forgot the mcd rating. i don't think its bright enough. at some point i'll redo it and used superflux leds. i'm too lazy to redo for now...
Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maximus
with your setup
do your hid shake noticably when you drive?? where did you buy the springs you used for the bolts ??? also are your lights still fogging???

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit (Custom)