tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

HID Retrofit (Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Poison
This just came to mind, Where happens to the City lights once your retrofit is done?
no longer there...i took the bulb out and just plug the base into the hole to keep water out. i have no need for the city lights since i wire the stock signal at the corner and the CCFL and parking lights.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

looks great
Old 11-07-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... awesome. looks very bmw-ish. i wish i am as talent as you are. can you do them on my xa ?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for those wondering how would you rig up projectors vs how maximus did his heres a pic.

hidretro was generous enough to show me their method. the pic show they are using the silver adjustment screw on the oem headlight which means the only adjustment you need to make is up or down and thats it!!!!

which by the way i didnt do on my retro fit.my adjustments are made independent of the reflector .

in the pic below hid retro used a black sleeve to center the light

Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

I have some Existing DD Eyes on my stock lights....would I have to remove them in order for projectors to fit in? If so what a waste

Say I'll most likely be getting a E46 projector....what are you comments on those? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freeflowing
for those wondering how would you rig up projectors vs how maximus did his heres a pic.

hidretro was generous enough to show me their method. the pic show they are using the silver adjustment screw on the oem headlight which means the only adjustment you need to make is up or down and thats it!!!!

which by the way i didnt do on my retro fit.my adjustments are made independent of the reflector .

in the pic below hid retro used a black sleeve to center the light

yup, thats how david liep (i think thats his name) does it in hidretro.com...a generous amount of jbweld. he does a good job, and the final product is worth the cost. but i worry that if he screwed up a little bit since he doesn't have the car to test fit, there's no room for rotation and horizontal adjustment.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Poison
I have some Existing DD Eyes on my stock lights....would I have to remove them in order for projectors to fit in? If so what a waste

Say I'll most likely be getting a E46 projector....what are you comments on those? Thanks.
you don't need to remove the DDE's. you may want to remove them durings fabrication and install since they're nice and fragile, but you can put them back on after installing the projectors.

i favor japanese stanley projectors myself, but the E46 are decent projectors, go for the bi-xenons.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here .definitely remove them during the retro fit or you will be kicking yourself . screwed one of my halos up during the intall and now i have to take one apart to remove and replace soon.

maximus,

i was worried about the adjustments too but he claimed to me that he will redo them if he'd screwed up on that part. i also got a quote from him for 580 bucks if i provided him the projectors and headlights so im kinda of interested in seeing his work since hes done so many retros. that black sleeve hes using is the key hes says to successfull reto fits hes done for the scion tc.

my retro turned out good but i didnt have any level ground were i live the beam is slightly to low so i have to re aim mine this weekend. all my adjustments are inside the head so i have to take mine apart to reaim mine as well but no fogging so far on my end yet
Old 11-09-2005, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by freeflowing
same here .definitely remove them during the retro fit or you will be kicking yourself . screwed one of my halos up during the intall and now i have to take one apart to remove and replace soon.

maximus,

i was worried about the adjustments too but he claimed to me that he will redo them if he'd screwed up on that part. i also got a quote from him for 580 bucks if i provided him the projectors and headlights so im kinda of interested in seeing his work since hes done so many retros. that black sleeve hes using is the key hes says to successfull reto fits hes done for the scion tc.

my retro turned out good but i didnt have any level ground were i live the beam is slightly to low so i have to re aim mine this weekend. all my adjustments are inside the head so i have to take mine apart to reaim mine as well but no fogging so far on my end yet
when i was installing mine, i did the initial aiming in the garage. i backed the car out as far as i could, and lined the back wall of the garage with white paper. i had access to 36" rolls. i placed a level on the car and thank jacked up the car in the rear until its level. then i used the stock scissor jack on one side to make that level as well. that makes the car perfectly flat and level theni aimed accordingly.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

usually don't you place the original housing on a table shine it against the wall and mark off the original cut off with tape then when you're aiming the projectors before you cement them in put the housing in the same position then make the cut off in the same place as the original?? I'm guessing that's how they do it when you ship them off to get them done? They probably keep the housing in a vice the whole time so it doesn't move-any ideas guys?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...6&autoview=sku

they are all 18 gauge :T sad T__T i gotta make my own now T__T
Old 11-11-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by raWr215
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=egnsearch.asp&N=400304+311186&autoview=sku

they are all 18 gauge :T sad T__T i gotta make my own now T__T

yeah they are 18 guage but it was sort of a guide to how to build your own harness and like i said i had 12 guage wire at my job so i i just swaped the 18 for 12 thus it helped me build my own harness.

your harness needs to look like this. ignore the the bulbs and conectors they show for the ballast they show in the pic
Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I gotta see that when I come to Oakland again
Old 11-15-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

beautiful looks great, nice job doing it
Old 11-18-2005, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member

Guys check this out on ebay if anybody interest on them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TSX-P...15408967QQrdZ1
Old 11-22-2005, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have 5000mcd led's. When I hook them up in a series they all blow out tho. And I cant seem to hook up more than 4 at a time? Do I need a resistor to be able to hook up more than 4 at a time or can I wire them up a different way?
Old 11-23-2005, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen a lot of ford focuses with HID's - anyone every look at purchasing those HID's? I imagine they are cheaper than BMW, Mercedes, etc

I just sold my "ghetto style" HID's in hopes of a true retro fit or a aftermarket projector headlamp
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i *think* the focus uses E55 projectors. i have no idea if true or otherwise. i remember reading a thread over at hidplanet where somebody bought the focus light from a junkyard and the ballast was still attached at the bottom and was not charged for it....lucky bastard.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member

What an awesome project! You did a fabulous job!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

BTW.. Awesome job you did on the retro.. The headlights look great. Prolly even better in person.. Great write up also.. I would certainly give you a 10 out of 10 on this..

Quick Reply: HID Retrofit (Custom)