LED Install (Cupholders / Door Handles)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by progression
excellent writeup. only thing that kinda urks me is i think the led in the door handle shouldve been mounted on the bottom under the door lever. its still hot either way.. hehe. like i said.. great DIY
My original idea was to mount it on the bottem of the door leaver, but i thought about it again and I was afraid that there would be glare on my windshield.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by all4degame
Originally Posted by SquallLHeart
Originally Posted by Batjew
hellllllooooo RICE .......
personally i don't think that's rice, and i don't approve nor like people who like to flame on other people's ride... rice has become a very offensive word and is not welcome in these forums.. if you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. to each his own.

btw, nice write up.
thank you SquallLHeart, I took my time writing this DIY for members that want to know how to do it, I don't need people flaming "RICE RICE". If you don't like it, dont say anything. It's not meant for you.
I think it looks great.

That's not rice.

This is rice:
Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

*bump for more views
Old 10-22-2005, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

any problems with light reflection off the windows being annoying? Something i've worries about when planning to do interior lighting.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

no glare problems at all bro...but so far.. the only problem i've ran into is people can see inside your car at night now when you're driving.. lol
Old 10-22-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

are you running any tint?

I was considering trying to wire all the extra interior eye candy on one switch, so it could be turned on/off at will. Disclaimer: I know nothing about wiring.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Is it possible to do something like this and hook up some kind of dimmer switch?
I love lighting, but I'm more into subtle lights.. I really like your lights, but for my taste I'd need them to be at about 30% of the brightness that they are now.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

For anyone that wants to know. As friend of mine that has a tc last week we put led's in his rear cup holders and we did have to pull out the back seat which isnt hard at all. I have kept harrasing him for spending $300 on the interior lights orginally. When all was said and done we had put in the rear interior lights and chnged the light in the hole under the air controls for about $25.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Serial: Yes bro, i'm running 15% tint but my friends said they still can see inside the car when i'm driving.

xBassist: I dont think dimmer switches are possible on LEDs, they need a certain amount of power to light up. I'm no wiring expert myself. They the LED arnt bright if you're sitting in the car. The only reason my my friends can see me driving is the LEDs light beam is projected onto my headliner. Try it out dude, you'll love it. If you dont like it, just take them out, it only cost me around $40 bucks
Old 10-23-2005, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

Originally Posted by all4degame
xBassist: I dont think dimmer switches are possible on LEDs, they need a certain amount of power to light up.
This is what I thought as well, which is why I asked.. but now that I think about it, the instrument cluster uses LED's and it has a dimmer switch... hmmm
Old 10-23-2005, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Where did you get that killer switch? Nice diy by the way.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I got that switch from radioshack. Those LEDs for the clusters are different i think bro.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you can dim LEDs, i replaced the dome lights with blue LED bulbs and they dim just like the stock bulbs (and the instrument panel dims too). they do kinda flicker a little sometimes though, but i dont notice till i question it after the fact.

Originally Posted by Scionpilot
For anyone that wants to know. As friend of mine that has a tc last week we put led's in his rear cup holders and we did have to pull out the back seat which isnt hard at all. I have kept harrasing him for spending $300 on the interior lights orginally. When all was said and done we had put in the rear interior lights and chnged the light in the hole under the air controls for about $25.
you think you maybe able to get us some pics and a how too????
if you cant dont worry about it, thanks.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

if you guys want, i could attempt the rear cupholders sometime next week.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

cool!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If the lighting inside the scions was sufficient, there would be no reason to add extra lights. As it is, I'm adding LEDs to my box pretty soon.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

How do you get to the side vents (the ones above the switch holder and above the glovebox)?????? I've been trying to figure out how to access them and can't figure it out.. Do they pop out somehow? or do you have to drill a hole in it and poke the led through??? help. lol
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

if it hasnt yet ...please put in DIY area mods
Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LEDs will dim as mentioned, but they do behave differently than bulbs.. for those interested, here is a little info.

LEDs behave as a diode in thier resistance characteristic. Here is an example of this: If you have an LED with a minimum forward voltage of 2V lets say for simplicity, and you start gradually applying voltage across it. The LED will remain off (and will have a very very high resistance) until the minimum forward voltage is met. At this point, the device switches to a very low resistance and lights up. This is why you must have a resistor in line with an LED or it will burn out in a short amount of time. As you increase the voltage, the voltage across the LED will increase until its typical forward voltage is reached. At this point, any amount of voltage above this value will be dropped across the rest of the circuit. Current wise, your "dimming range" is the range of current listed on the device data sheet.

So, if you have an LED with a forward voltage of 2.6V (which is pretty typical of the blues we use) in series with a 330 OHM resistor using a 5V power source, lets say, then you can figure the current by subtracting the voltage across the LED (2.6V) from the source voltage (5V) and dividing the remaining voltage by the value of the resistor (330). This puts you at 7.3mA. you can look at the data sheet values to determine where in the range of brightness that places you. I try to run them right in the middle of thier rated current range if possible.

Anyway, hope this adds a little info!

And as far as the rice comment, ignore him, he makes plenty of dumb comments here and there which I have ignored and resisted commenting on... but stuff like that is stupid. I guess the car just comes rice then huh? All those control lights, ac, stereo, etc.... since you seem to think that anything non-performance is "rice"... I have done a good number of the gauge and cluster conversions, and they come out looking clean and fit in with the car much better than the stock lighting. But, he is just being a kiddie so let him run his mouth I guess
Old 12-02-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DarkerShadZofRED
How do you get to the side vents (the ones above the switch holder and above the glovebox)?????? I've been trying to figure out how to access them and can't figure it out.. Do they pop out somehow? or do you have to drill a hole in it and poke the led through??? help. lol
I definately drilled a hole and poke the LEDs up into the plastic. You can do that but drilling inside the access panel and also inside the glove compartment after you have removed the comparmant itself.

Sorry to the folks that have been waiting for DIY for the rear cupholders.. I've been too busy with school to try to install them.

Quick Reply: LED Install (Cupholders / Door Handles)